Most disgusting thing I've ever done

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
bird dog
GURU
GURU

Re: Most disgusting thing I've ever done

Postby bird dog » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:16 am

I hope you gave the cow some kind of antibiotic. I would watch her very close for a couple days.
0 x

Herford×Angus
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Herford×Angus » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:42 am

wbvs58 wrote:I can't really make out that photo, it looks like the hind legs to the right and then 2 forelegs to the top and middle of the image but then on the left around the head there are more leg bones exposed. I might be completely disorientated though?????

Ken

The exposed bones by the head are actually the jaw bones, if you zoom in enough you can see teeth.
I agree Jeanne next time I see blood I won't wait until the next day to check her. In this case though it wouldn't have made a big difference. She may not have been dilated enough to pull the calf the night before.
1 x

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:38 pm

pricefarm wrote:Nothing stinks as bad as pulling a dead animal out. I have never pulled a dead calf but I have pulled plenty of dead lambs. It takes days to get that smell of your hands

I have done both,unfortunately.The smell is the worst part.Sometimes a smokey fire will help.I wonder if tomato juice,Dawn and peroxide will work like it does on dogs with skunk smell?
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:39 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:Irish Spring bar soap and toothpaste, I deal with dead stinky green and blue pigs all summer long, and that will take the smell off.
I almost puked only once when a bloated pig ruptured...let your imagination play with that for a bit.

If it is anything like a ripe dead sheep,I am sorry.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:08 pm

I just sold 'em all.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

strihafarms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby strihafarms » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Had an experience like that last year. Had an older cow calf and penned her up to get calf going or adopt a calf don’t recall which right now but a few days later cow starts acting sick. We gave her some antibiotics and she showed no improvement. Started pushing like she was trying to calf so we lock her up and went in. The calf was dead and essentially turned inside out and rotten. Trying to pull a calf with the most horrible smell imaginable was one of the worst experiences ever. On a positive note I was finally able to get the calf out and the cow turned right around and was back to her old self.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:00 am

I used to put Vicks up my nose when dealing with rotting flesh. It's not 100% but it does help.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:32 am

JW IN VA wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:Irish Spring bar soap and toothpaste, I deal with dead stinky green and blue pigs all summer long, and that will take the smell off.
I almost puked only once when a bloated pig ruptured...let your imagination play with that for a bit.

If it is anything like a ripe dead sheep,I am sorry.

A bad one will almost make you put your hamburger down and pull with both hands.
4 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:39 am

Several years ago, had to pull a large one. Got the front legs out and the leg pulled right out of the socket. Ugliest smell ever.
0 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:49 pm

Bigfoot wrote:When I was just a kid, a neighbor called and wanted borrow our pullers, and my help for a while. I drove the calf pullers over on an XR 75 motorcycle. Not sure I could even do a strange feat like that now. Anyway, when I got there, we hooked on and started cranking. I thought man, this is the easiest pull ever. No, not so lucky. Both front legs were being pulled off the carcass. We both started pukeing.

BF, that sounds disgusting lol
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:58 pm

never had a dead, putrefied calf to pull.. lots of RP.. is the smell a whole lot worse? I've kinda gotten used to the smell of RP
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:33 pm

Like the guy who had bad gas and had to go to work. Took a spray can of deluxe pine woods scent air freshener to try to mask the issue as it occurred at the office. Got on the elevator by himself and felt a pain. Had gas, pulled out the pine forest scent, gave a good spraying and when the elevator opened at his floor he got off as nothing had happened. He heard two guys getting on and one said, "Phwee, what is that smell? Cough, cough, gag a maggot!" The other one said, "Gosh, I don't know but it smells like someone just took a dump in the elevator who has been eating Christmas trees!"

Dealt with the rotten calf as kid and Vet said due to blue tongue. Don't know if it was the ral problem but do not want to do that again.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:40 pm

I was reading this thread last weekend and it scared the crapola out of me. Our new donors due date was 4/15 and after reading this I was imagining some horrible stuff. We have never had this happen but have always known it was possible. Hearing about it is horrible enough I can’t imagine how horrible it had to be for you. So sorry for your loss.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:50 pm

Ebenezer wrote:Like the guy who had bad gas and had to go to work. Took a spray can of deluxe pine woods scent air freshener to try to mask the issue as it occurred at the office. Got on the elevator by himself and felt a pain. Had gas, pulled out the pine forest scent, gave a good spraying and when the elevator opened at his floor he got off as nothing had happened. He heard two guys getting on and one said, "Phwee, what is that smell? Cough, cough, gag a maggot!" The other one said, "Gosh, I don't know but it smells like someone just took a dump in the elevator who has been eating Christmas trees!"

Dealt with the rotten calf as kid and Vet said due to blue tongue. Don't know if it was the ral problem but do not want to do that again.

The firs and and hopefully last dead rotten one I ever had to deal with was on a field trip in ag class as a teenager. I haven't forgotten it..makes an impression for sure. There is some stuff you can rub in your nostrils with a banana or vanilla scent to it nowadays. Supposed to help a lot.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:44 pm

I've only been around one decomposing body where Vicks up my nose didn't work. I had to get the fire dept give up a Scott Air Pac for me to finish that one.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”