VAR Power play and SAV Emblem

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
JackAngus
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:54 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

VAR Power play and SAV Emblem

Post by JackAngus » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:18 pm

Was googling bulls to breed and saw VAR Power Play and SAV Emblem. Anyone know anymore about these bulls? Seems like Power Play’s strength is his dam, we used Payweight 1682 last year and cut them all at weaning. Thank you



User avatar
Jake
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3756
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:45 pm
Location: North Central Kansas
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: VAR Power play and SAV Emblem

Post by Jake » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:40 am

Pretty starkly different types of animals there. Hard to recommend one of those two when they are completely different directions.

Richnm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:05 am
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: VAR Power play and SAV Emblem

Post by Richnm » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:08 am

I am waiting on SAV Emblem straws, seems like he should have a lot of power.
“Epd’s mean nothing without feed, feed your dam cows.”

User avatar
CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:44 pm
Location: Southwest Washington
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 216 times

Re: VAR Power play and SAV Emblem

Post by CreekAngus » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:56 pm

Both are unproven, that's a direction I personally never go in, especially with these two bull's pricing. $75 for Power Play, there are plenty of options for Payweight sons. One reason I wouldn't go with Emblem, I think his sire is better. I saw his lineage and automatically thought....I would rather use Renown and Raindance on their own. Preferably breed cows to Renown and then use Raindance on those daughters. And if you're going to pay $50.00 a pop, get President from Herbster instead. Don't know if you're raising for bulls or replacements. Stating you cut all of the bulls, doesn't tell the whole story, were any of the heifers of quality? Years ago I used New Day, knowing I would cut every single bull, but keep every daughter I could. In a week I am breeding this batch to War Party, same deal, all the boys are going to be steers. Kind of went long winded, but what are your goals...to raise bulls, raise replacements, do both?
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

JackAngus
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:54 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: VAR Power play and SAV Emblem

Post by JackAngus » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:37 pm

I want a power bull. Do you think Renown or Resource will out perform President or Raindance ? I didn’t like the 1682 calves. They were out of Ten X cows. I even sold the heifers. From what I researched Power Plays dam is the reason to use him. Sandpoint Blackbird not 1682.

User avatar
CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:44 pm
Location: Southwest Washington
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 216 times

Re: VAR Power play and SAV Emblem

Post by CreekAngus » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:07 pm

JackAngus wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:37 pm
I want a power bull. Do you think Renown or Resource will out perform President or Raindance ? I didn’t like the 1682 calves. They were out of Ten X cows. I even sold the heifers. From what I researched Power Plays dam is the reason to use him. Sandpoint Blackbird not 1682.
Power bull typically has to come from a power cow and a power bull. If I was breeding my best cow seeking a bull, I would go with Renown out of those options. Ten X is capable of making good cattle, he has sold too many straws, to have been a dud.
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

JackAngus
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:54 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: VAR Power play and SAV Emblem

Post by JackAngus » Wed May 01, 2019 6:45 am

Thanks for the help. Not to familiar with But SAV cattle. So you would use Renown over Resource , and President ?

User avatar
Jake
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3756
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:45 pm
Location: North Central Kansas
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: VAR Power play and SAV Emblem

Post by Jake » Wed May 01, 2019 9:19 am

JackAngus wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:45 am
Thanks for the help. Not to familiar with But SAV cattle. So you would use Renown over Resource , and President ?
Yes, I prefer renown myself.

User avatar
CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:44 pm
Location: Southwest Washington
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 216 times

Re: VAR Power play and SAV Emblem

Post by CreekAngus » Wed May 01, 2019 2:48 pm

If you're breeding cows, not heifers I would go Renown and the heifers that come out of those, breed to President or Raindance. Still not understanding what you're really looking to create, a singular power bull or a lot of bulls you can sell to the neighbors. If you used Payweight and not a single bull was worthy, it sounds like you have cow problem and need to breed appropriately, improving your females from generation to generation, thus my suggestion of Renown, followed by President, that would stack maternal greatness. And if you're not too familiar with SAV look around at the different farms and find the cattle you prefer or want to emulate. If SAV fits what you desire, roll with it, a farm that has turned itself into the SAV of MO is Square B, check out what they got going on. Brookhill on CT can tell you everything you want to know about SAV.
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

Richnm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:05 am
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: VAR Power play and SAV Emblem

Post by Richnm » Thu May 02, 2019 2:34 pm

My renown calves outgrew everything else I have. Perfect feet and very calm
“Epd’s mean nothing without feed, feed your dam cows.”

LCBulls
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:18 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: VAR Power play and SAV Emblem

Post by LCBulls » Wed May 08, 2019 11:16 am

We have used Resource, Renown, Seedstock, Ten Speed, President, Raindance, Thunderbird. International. A few Sensations.
We have noticed that our Raindance and President calves are by far the best looking and grow just as well as Resource/ Renown.

We have really liked our Resource cattle. I believe that the Raindance/ Presidents will be the best yet, but they are still young.

User avatar
CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:44 pm
Location: Southwest Washington
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 216 times

Re: VAR Power play and SAV Emblem

Post by CreekAngus » Wed May 15, 2019 11:49 pm

LCBulls wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:16 am
We have used Resource, Renown, Seedstock, Ten Speed, President, Raindance, Thunderbird. International. A few Sensations.
We have noticed that our Raindance and President calves are by far the best looking and grow just as well as Resource/ Renown.

We have really liked our Resource cattle. I believe that the Raindance/ Presidents will be the best yet, but they are still young.
Do you think Renown or Resource bred to Raindance or President would be the way to go?
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

LCBulls
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:18 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: VAR Power play and SAV Emblem

Post by LCBulls » Thu May 16, 2019 12:41 am

CreekAngus wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:49 pm
LCBulls wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:16 am
We have used Resource, Renown, Seedstock, Ten Speed, President, Raindance, Thunderbird. International. A few Sensations.
We have noticed that our Raindance and President calves are by far the best looking and grow just as well as Resource/ Renown.

We have really liked our Resource cattle. I believe that the Raindance/ Presidents will be the best yet, but they are still young.
Do you think Renown or Resource bred to Raindance or President would be the way to go?
I think they would be really good. I know that some of their best were bred similar to that.
I’m really impressed by the Raindance calves. They are very uniform and probably nicer than the Presidents so far.

elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1306
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm
Has thanked: 426 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: VAR Power play and SAV Emblem

Post by elkwc » Thu May 16, 2019 2:20 pm

CreekAngus wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:56 pm
Both are unproven, that's a direction I personally never go in, especially with these two bull's pricing. $75 for Power Play, there are plenty of options for Payweight sons. One reason I wouldn't go with Emblem, I think his sire is better. I saw his lineage and automatically thought....I would rather use Renown and Raindance on their own. Preferably breed cows to Renown and then use Raindance on those daughters. And if you're going to pay $50.00 a pop, get President from Herbster instead. Don't know if you're raising for bulls or replacements. Stating you cut all of the bulls, doesn't tell the whole story, were any of the heifers of quality? Years ago I used New Day, knowing I would cut every single bull, but keep every daughter I could. In a week I am breeding this batch to War Party, same deal, all the boys are going to be steers. Kind of went long winded, but what are your goals...to raise bulls, raise replacements, do both?
Have you used War Party before? If so impressions of his progeny? I have a daughter that is a nice cow.

User avatar
CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:44 pm
Location: Southwest Washington
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 216 times

Re: VAR Power play and SAV Emblem

Post by CreekAngus » Thu May 16, 2019 4:28 pm

elkwc wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:20 pm
CreekAngus wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:56 pm
Both are unproven, that's a direction I personally never go in, especially with these two bull's pricing. $75 for Power Play, there are plenty of options for Payweight sons. One reason I wouldn't go with Emblem, I think his sire is better. I saw his lineage and automatically thought....I would rather use Renown and Raindance on their own. Preferably breed cows to Renown and then use Raindance on those daughters. And if you're going to pay $50.00 a pop, get President from Herbster instead. Don't know if you're raising for bulls or replacements. Stating you cut all of the bulls, doesn't tell the whole story, were any of the heifers of quality? Years ago I used New Day, knowing I would cut every single bull, but keep every daughter I could. In a week I am breeding this batch to War Party, same deal, all the boys are going to be steers. Kind of went long winded, but what are your goals...to raise bulls, raise replacements, do both?
Have you used War Party before? If so impressions of his progeny? I have a daughter that is a nice cow.
No I haven't, but here's my story short, 11 years ago I had to sell my herd, I was going to use War Party at that time, I loved Lead On and Bextor both made some really nice females for me. War Party is a descendant of both. Last year I started putting a herd together and bought a heifer from the neighbor who had four War Party daughter standing at the gate, I loved them and wanted to make some of those.
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

Post Reply