Coyotoes and Calves

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Coyotoes and Calves

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:11 pm

Hippie Rancher wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:32 pm
are your cows horned? that is my first line of defense, gun is next, local coyote callers club after that. donkey is a possibility and I have had one around. she did prefer to be with the cows as opposed to anything else (people, or horses) and hated dogs, but I have no idea if she did much, as my cows take care of themselves and calves for the most part. have one calf with tail chewed off this year. could be dogs just as easy.

sheep are just snacks, even easier than chickens without guard animals or people 24/7
Not horned no. I run angus/shorthorn

VaCowman
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by VaCowman » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:07 pm

We had a similar situation several years back...only not to the magnitude of your losses. Sorry to hear that!

We ended up getting a wire panel and reinforcing it with "rat wire" and tieing it down good with tposts. we put a young calf in the "pen" about mid day. By late evening, baby was trying to get mothers attention (who was several paddocks away, out of hearing distance). Sure enough, about 0 dark thirty, here they came! Had several sharp shooters lined up atop the ridgeline and we took out 4 of the 6 in about t minus 5 seconds. The other two seemed to find a new "local eatery" because we never had any other issues after that. I think the key is taking out the alpha or whichever one is the blood thirsty killer.

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:42 pm

VaCowman wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:07 pm
We had a similar situation several years back...only not to the magnitude of your losses. Sorry to hear that!

We ended up getting a wire panel and reinforcing it with "rat wire" and tieing it down good with tposts. we put a young calf in the "pen" about mid day. By late evening, baby was trying to get mothers attention (who was several paddocks away, out of hearing distance). Sure enough, about 0 dark thirty, here they came! Had several sharp shooters lined up atop the ridgeline and we took out 4 of the 6 in about t minus 5 seconds. The other two seemed to find a new "local eatery" because we never had any other issues after that. I think the key is taking out the alpha or whichever one is the blood thirsty killer.
Wow haha, good on you. That must have been a sight to see. As you can imagine the man on the farm has been drooling at the idea of taking this pack out. I don't know if I have it in me to put a calf in there as bait, I'm a huge sucker, but I could use a few chickens.

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Post by BRYANT » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:17 pm

I know another way to kill them just can't share it on social media, but it will work.
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

VaCowman
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by VaCowman » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:49 pm

cowgal604 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:42 pm
VaCowman wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:07 pm

Wow haha, good on you. That must have been a sight to see. As you can imagine the man on the farm has been drooling at the idea of taking this pack out. I don't know if I have it in me to put a calf in there as bait, I'm a huge sucker, but I could use a few chickens.
We had the "rig" pieced together pretty well. They weren't going to get to it without some lead in their arses!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:53 pm

I've never had a problem with coyotes here.. we have a resident family, they've eaten the occasional chicken but wander through the pens even at calving time and have never bothered the cows at all.. If they come around in the day I'll probably knock one off, but since I've had no real issues I don't go out of my way to hunt them... but if they do....

I think trapping/snaring them would be a good start for you.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

southalberta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by southalberta » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:57 am

Get a longhorn or corriente pair. We have them in each of our herds and coyote loss was cut a good 70%.

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:30 pm

cowgal604 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:10 pm
gcreekrch wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:33 pm
bird dog wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:50 pm
Killing for fun is usually associated with dogs. I see where you have no choice but to get some help eliminating these varmints. I understand you not wanting to kill them but at times when they over populate and get the nerve to hunt in a pack for large animals, the population needs to be reduced significantly.

If you are in Texas, snoop around on the Texas Hunting forum for someone close to you. Some of those guys are really good and respectful and would love to help you out.
This is good advice. If you are interested in thinning them out I can point you to a couple guys that are effective on a BC hunting forum. Many people would jump at the chance but you want those who will get the job done without a bunch of drama and bs involved.

There is definitely no shortage of coyotes or wolves in this province.

What area are you in?
Very very interested. We are in Langley.
Sent you a pm a couple days ago.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:31 pm

So big lesson learnt on this experience. We ended up having a local trapper/hunter association come out to our place. Interesting he thought it was a cougar. Couldn't do much more than what we were doing now so went about his ways but suggested we fill out the government application to get reimbursement for our lost lambs.

2 days later the conservation association couriered us a letter giving us 24 hours to remove all trapping and hunting tools from the farm. So, I highly suggest you do not ever take that route

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by BFE » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:33 am

Lorsban and a carcass. 'Nuff said.

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowgal604 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:54 pm

BFE wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:33 am
I tried lamb carcass and a bunch of dead chickens. All that brought us was maggots :help:

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by BFE » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:47 pm

cowgal604 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:54 pm
BFE wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:33 am
I tried lamb carcass and a bunch of dead chickens. All that brought us was maggots :help:
That's only half the equation. The first part is what's important, the second is just a way to get it there if you know what I'm getting at.