Twin Girls

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: Twin Girls

Post by wbvs58 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:00 pm

Very nice Ron.

Ken

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:02 pm

I am one of the odd ones. I don't mind twins at all. And we seldom supplement the cow unless she is old or a first calf heifer. Only had 1 set on a first calf heifer, and she did get grain and did a pretty good job and bred back so we pulled them at about 5 1/2 months. Have 2 sets on spring calf cows now and they are about 50 lbs lighter than the rest they are running with. Pasture and minerals/salt. Both are mixed twins, so all will get sold. I do like to keep the cow separate for 2-5 days, but normally if our cows take them for the first 24 hours, they will take them. Several times they have been out on pasture calving, and they don't get separated from the other freshening cows. We also have several cows that are just "mommas" and I have seen several calves on them at different times. Just sold a steer that my son swore was on so&so cow.... I said no, she had a heifer.... he said but the steer was nursing her a couple of times when I was out at the pasture just checking cows.... and then I said which steer was nursing her, and he looked in his book and said # such and such..... but wait here it was number #.. which was different. I said yeah, she feeds anyone that wants to suck. Her heifer weighed about 570 and the steer that got sold weighed over 6; so she definitely wasn't short changing her own heifer. There are several who will feed calves other than their own, and as long as I don't see a calf getting too little from his own momma, I leave well enough alone. Often will see the calves on the other cow too.

Had a bought cow have a set of twins, and she rejected the bull and kept the heifer. I bottle fed it for about 2 weeks then had a cow have a dead calf, so put the bottle bull on her. Most of the problems come from bought cows, and I think it is because they just aren't quite sure about things... whereas our raised up cows just don't get excited over things. As well taken care of and tame as your cows seem to be Ron, I think she ought to do fine.

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Post by Fire Sweep Ranch » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:48 pm

Ron did not share that her dam has had 3 sets of twins, and always same sex. She always raised both. There is a thread on here somewhere about it. Tons of milk in that cow- family, I suspect this one will be like her dam. Great job, glad you got two healthy girls!
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:53 am

In Ron & my case, these are purebred heifers out of top AI bulls. Most of our cows have the ability to raise the two heifers into good weaning weights. By the looks of Ron's cow, she shouldn't have any problem. Plus Ron will be subsidizing the calves through the winter. Keep an eye on them, but i wouldn't fret any.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

redcowsrule33
Rancher
Rancher

Post by redcowsrule33 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:55 am

I like to pen mine up until the calves are vigorous enough to hunt mom down if they get separated, usually a week or so. I have one girl that has twinned twice, nursed both for about 48 hours then votes one off the island. She wouldn’t raise two great calves without help anyway so I’m content to wait until she makes her choice. At least they get colostrum.
The root cause of the majority of the problems in the world today is that common sense is no longer a prerequisite to staying alive.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:27 pm

Twins are doing well. Mom has plenty of milk. One has white on her belly. The other is solid black.

I am glad I kept them up. I have a cow that is due anyday in the lot where I have the twins. One of the twins decided she was going to strike out on her own and adopt a mom that she didn't have to share with her sister. I put a stop to that.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:40 am

Yeah, they will sometimes do that especially if another cow is that close to calving, her hormones will kick in and she will be wanting a calf even before she has her own. See that in the dairy cattle some, if there are a bunch in a dry lot / calving lot, there will often be one that will want to mother any and all new calves and even try to take a calf away from its' own mother just because her hormones have kicked in and she wants to be "the mom".
Glad the cow has plenty of milk to feed them. Since you also have a creep pen for calves after they get a little older, they ought to do just fine for you.

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Till-Hill » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:58 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:27 pm
Twins are doing well. Mom has plenty of milk. One has white on her belly. The other is solid black.

I am glad I kept them up. I have a cow that is due anyday in the lot where I have the twins. One of the twins decided she was going to strike out on her own and adopt a mom that she didn't have to share with her sister. I put a stop to that.
Guys by me used to put dog collars on both calves and a rope between them, that way they would never wander off alone anyway!

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:14 am

Guys by me used to put dog collars on both calves and a rope between them
An oldie but goodie. 8)