Weaning Rate Percentage ?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Weaning Rate Percentage ?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:35 am

dun wrote:
HDRider wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Here's a chart that gives your weight adjustments based on age of dam (adjusted to a 205 day WW)
https://www.angus.org/Performance/AHIR/PerfLinks.aspx

I been wanting to ask, what does "adjusted" mean? Does that mean deducting birth weight from weaning weight?

The adjusting for BW, WW, YW are all based on algorithms using a standard weight. It takes into account the number of days of age, the age of the dam and maybe breed.

In an adjusted WW and YW, they do take our the BW in the calculations, then add it back into the final number. Each breed has their own "age" adjustment .
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Had that work problem this spring. Bought some breds that liked to hang around ground too rough for a vehicle. I could not pen them like ours. Shot one for burger rather than buying a horse and a dog. Another goes to the sales barn tomorrow.
0 x
Stocker Steve

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:01 am

Something I thought interesting. The weaned rate was closer to what I had been told and experienced of 10%, but a small sample size.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:56 am

dun wrote:
HDRider wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Here's a chart that gives your weight adjustments based on age of dam (adjusted to a 205 day WW)
https://www.angus.org/Performance/AHIR/PerfLinks.aspx

I been wanting to ask, what does "adjusted" mean? Does that mean deducting birth weight from weaning weight?

The adjusting for BW, WW, YW are all based on algorithms using a standard weight. It takes into account the number of days of age, the age of the dam and maybe breed.

Using adjusted, also allows you to weigh them all at the same time when working them and seeing with the 205, comparables. I find it interesting to see which had the highest and lowest among the herd and who their sire was (We AI our commercial herd)

The adjusted does consider the age of the be nice.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:13 pm

cattleman99 wrote:
Rafter S wrote:The heifer usually breeds back within a few days after weaning the calf, and I just think it's asking a lot of a 2-year old heifer to raise a calf to 8 months old and breed back on time, all while she's still growing herself. I know I'm giving up some money up front, but I believe it pays off in the long run. If you disagree I won't argue with you, but this has been working well for me for a long time.

Personally I don't want those types of heifers in my herd if they can't breed back while raising a calf. A lot of them look real rough every year after weaning for a bit but they either get in calf or hit the road. They get back in shape over the winter and look great by calving. After a few years of hard culling it has paid off with increased herd fertility. When I started I would give some a second chance if they came in open. Not anymore. But we all have different ways of making it work.

We run ours the same way, everyone has a method that works for them. It is asking a lot from a young heifer but it has paid off with a very maternal cow herd.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”