Calves not very active. ..

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
machslammer
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Calves not very active. ..

Postby machslammer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:25 pm

Calves born OK and good sized but the calves are not very active after birth and couple days after... I've had 4 die this year after about 3 days.. seen them suck and momma claims them but they just not active after birth, few days after, and some dieing. . Any suggestions as to why?
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: Calves not very active. ..

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Are you sure the udders are working?
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:53 pm

If I saw that my first thought would be related to nutrition. Including major and minor mineral nutrients. I expect calves to be vigorous. Nurse soon after birth and run at High Octane levels. And that is exactly what I see here unless they are premature. Which is something you didn't mention so I assume these are full term calves. Good forage and first class minerals are reflected in the health and vigor of the calf.

Only a place to start. It could be many things.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:47 pm

Get the vet involved!
2 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

machslammer
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby machslammer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:24 pm

#5 died today. She had hers couple month after others. 80# calf. Sucked but still died. Out of a heifer with good bag. 1 cow did have bad udder and she getting sold. I dunno what it is but they are on minerals yeah round.. performance select wroth high selenium values. Getting tired of seeing buzzards... not sure my problem. . This sucks.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:50 pm

machslammer wrote:#5 died today. She had hers couple month after others. 80# calf. Sucked but still died. Out of a heifer with good bag. 1 cow did have bad udder and she getting sold. I dunno what it is but they are on minerals yeah round.. performance select wroth high selenium values. Getting tired of seeing buzzards... not sure my problem. . This sucks.

Yes. It does. Contact your vet. Curious, do you see the weakness immediately after birth or do they go down hill after being on the ground a few days?
0 x
Diogenes.

machslammer
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby machslammer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Bright, they are wobbly when born like all calves, but seems they never get over that first wobbly stage and die. . I've tube fed a couple, bottle fed 1, and they still sucked mom after that and still died. I have to many on the current land they are on but cows are in good condition and bags are good. They get little feed just for calming and paddock changing but get free choice mineral all year. I usually lose 1 a year at random out of 15, but not 5. 4 bulls and 1 heifer. Very strange... i found it after it was born and had sucked already but sides were still pulled in a little because it was big, but then sucked her and she was acting as though it was OK today, not balling ect, but found it curled up dead
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:56 pm

machslammer wrote:Bright, they are wobbly when born like all calves, but seems they never get over that first wobbly stage and die. . I've tube fed a couple, bottle fed 1, and they still sucked mom after that and still died. I have to many on the current land they are on but cows are in good condition and bags are good. They get little feed just for calming and paddock changing but get free choice mineral all year. I usually lose 1 a year at random out of 15, but not 5. 4 bulls and 1 heifer. Very strange... i found it after it was born and had sucked already but sides were still pulled in a little because it was big, but then sucked her and she was acting as though it was OK today, not balling ect, but found it curled up dead

Thank you very much for your response. Man, my heart goes out to you. That kinda mess bothers me. I think you need to get on the ground professional help. Something is clearly at work here. Might be infectious agent. Just curious again. What mineral are you putting out?
0 x
Diogenes.

machslammer
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby machslammer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:09 pm

Breeders select from performance feeds
0 x

machslammer
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby machslammer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:16 pm

I'm just lost.. i vaccinate for everything under the sun with the cows but these calves don't give you time to vaccinate before they die. . I just don't know. ..I've sent message to my vet to see if he has any ideas. .i mean i don't know if something cow eats is affecting their colostrum and killing the calves, or if the late stage nutrition for fall calving is causing weird stuff with them or what it is.. thanks
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:25 pm

A new calf doesn't starve to death in one day, it's something else. You need to PM Dun, maybe he can get a hold of Milkmaid.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:36 pm

I know you said the udders were good, but have you checked to see if the teats are open? Some years are worse than other for that, but it may be more of a northern issue.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:38 pm

Same sire for all?
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Stinkerbell396
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Stinkerbell396 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:40 am

I had the same thing happen to me last year. I asked some of the older farmers when I went to town if they had any ideas. A hour later 5 old timers who still run cattle show up with donuts, coffee & hugs. They went out, looked around & within minutes had come back with a answer I would have never expected. Green acorns. If a calf eats a green acorn they can die within hours. I hooked up a yard sweeper on my 4 wheeler got all the acorns I could find, cut down the problem tree & haven't lost a calf since! I know it sounds weird, but it might be worth at least looking into. I'm sure glad I did!
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:39 pm

There possibly something with your cows milk? We had a calf that was behaving sick, lethargic, nearly dead. Pulled off of momma, tubed, did all this other crap...Put her back on mom, got sick again. Pulled off, jumped back up.

Turned out, the moms milk was poisoning her. Not sure how common that is or what the 'technical" term is for that but you're losing a lot of calves! Your feed, you buying hay or is it your own? Just wondering if possibly something is in there that isn't hurting the cows but is poisoning the calves via the milk.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”