Best Way to Develop/Maintain a Herd

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Best Way to Develop/Maintain a Herd

Postby Bullitt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:39 am

1982vett wrote:Some will be red baldies.....

I know some Angus are red. In Europe Aberdeen Angus are black or red. Here in the United States we treat them as two breeds.

So would the Red Baldies come from the red gene in the Angus?
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:03 pm

Some Registered Black Angus carry a recessive red gene. Not a lot, but some. If one bred Herefords, you could get a red white faced offspring. Or, if you used a commercial Black Angus (theoretically, could be any mixed breed), then you also could get some red offspring.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Bullitt wrote:
ddd75 wrote:not all black baldies or herefords will produce baldies.

a lot of that depends on the bull and how dominate his color is.

So a pure Angus and a pure Hereford will not always produce Black Baldies? If so, that is disappointing.

In that case, we have to just find the right cattle for the cross

Most of them will, but as others said, you'll get the occasional red baldy instead of black.

And you won't find a cross that will produce black baldies more consistently than Angus (or Brangus) x Hereford.
1 x
Life is too short to drink cheap beer or dance with ugly women.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:11 pm

Homozygous black Simmental bred to Herefords are all BWF. Homo. black any breed bred to Herefords will come out BWF.
The Hereford white face, bellie, tail are the determining factor if the offspring will carry the Hereford markings.
If the Hereford is a commercial animal and may or may not have other breeds involved, will determine what white markings the offspring has. Hereford's white markings are Homozygous in Purebreds and dominant. (I am not a Hereford breeder, but this is what I have been told).
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:16 pm

If a black Angus is crossed with a Hereford and Black Baldies are produced, and then those offspring are bred to an Angus bull, you will have calves that are 3/4 Angus and 1/4 Hereford.

What will these calves generally look like? I would guess mostly black with a little white on the face.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:54 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Homozygous black Simmental bred to Herefords are all BWF. Homo. black any breed bred to Herefords will come out BWF.
The Hereford white face, bellie, tail are the determining factor if the offspring will carry the Hereford markings.
If the Hereford is a commercial animal and may or may not have other breeds involved, will determine what white markings the offspring has. Hereford's white markings are Homozygous in Purebreds and dominant. (I am not a Hereford breeder, but this is what I have been told).

You can get a solid black out of a registered Hereford cow.
I had to get a geneticist from the AHA to explain it to me.
Here’s my best shot the cows dam and sire each had a dominant and recessive gene for the white markings.
The offspring ended up with two recessive white genes that a homo black bull could cover up half the time.
Now that is how it was explained to me
It was also explained it is not a common trait.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”