How long...

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
zirlottkim
Rancher
Rancher

How long...

Postby zirlottkim » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:38 pm

How long do you give a cow struggling to calve before intervening? I found this cow trying to calve early this morning. Feet were barely showing. I finished a few chores and after a couple hours with no progress, I walked her to the pen and pulled the calf. It came very easy with the puller. Average size calf from a big framed cow. I bought her bred a several years back and had to pull her first calf. But that one was a MASSIVE Charolais calf. That was in the back of my mind. No problems with her since then. I probably could have just left her alone. Just curious how long others give.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Re: How long...

Postby gizmom » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:59 pm

If we see feet and no progress after an hour we get them up. Better to be safe than sorry.

Gizmom
3 x
Respect give it to get it!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:02 pm

I see no need in waiting, were going to have a calf when I see the feet. I feel like I've lost a few calves waiting instead of intervening.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Randi » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:11 pm

Cows 1/2 to an hour, heifers around an hour.
3 x

Logar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Logar » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:21 pm

zirlottkim wrote:How long do you give a cow struggling to calve before intervening? I found this cow trying to calve early this morning. Feet were barely showing. I finished a few chores and after a couple hours with no progress, I walked her to the pen and pulled the calf. It came very easy with the puller. Average size calf from a big framed cow. I bought her bred a several years back and had to pull her first calf. But that one was a MASSIVE Charolais calf. That was in the back of my mind. No problems with her since then. I probably could have just left her alone. Just curious how long others give.

You found her - but the question is this - "How long had she been like that?"

Quite frankly if we are able to help without causing a huge stir I jump in right away - takes no time.

If you need to run her in to the squeeze, then so be it.

I admit to never having had one complain.

Cheers
2 x

zirlottkim
Rancher
Rancher

Postby zirlottkim » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:59 pm

Logar wrote:
zirlottkim wrote:How long do you give a cow struggling to calve before intervening? I found this cow trying to calve early this morning. Feet were barely showing. I finished a few chores and after a couple hours with no progress, I walked her to the pen and pulled the calf. It came very easy with the puller. Average size calf from a big framed cow. I bought her bred a several years back and had to pull her first calf. But that one was a MASSIVE Charolais calf. That was in the back of my mind. No problems with her since then. I probably could have just left her alone. Just curious how long others give.

Quite frankly if we are able to help without causing a huge stir I jump in right away - takes no time.

Cheers

I did run her through the chute. I had a bad experience before. Had a cow go down in the chute and had to disassemble it get her out. So with this one, I got her in sweep tub and forced her in alley backwards and caught her in chute that way. Head in, body out. That way if she went down, she would be outside. That worked very well.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:11 pm

I try to go an hour after I see the water bag on a cow, an hour and a half on a heifer. Unless supper is ready, or I'm tired, or it's the middle of the night, or I need a nap..... then I just run her through the barn and give her a hand ;-)
4 x

Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Randi » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:44 pm

Sometimes it's just easier to run them in and deal with it. I'd rather assist early, than be too late and have a dead calf. And then I can get on with my day...or night. Sleep is a wonderful thing, lol
4 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:49 am

I like to see progress.. even if it's slow... I'm pretty quick to give a bit of a hand, sometimes without puller or chains.. then once the calf is on the ground and breathing I can go do something else and not have something nagging me in the back of my mind.
Same goes for the calves finding the teats.. Of course my cows are a little more accepting of my presence than others, but once again, If I can get that calf 'connected' and it takes me all of a couple minutes, once again I can go do something else knowing the calf has had that first meal and will probably be fine from there on.
2 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:01 am

Nutrition & good minerals can have an effect on the cows "will" to push.
I agree with all - don't let her work too long after NO progress.
Sleep is highly under-rated.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 am

Buddy had a "non pusher" though so I think they exist. Her first calf she walked around grazing with the thing hanging half way out. Next one it was just feet. Weird. I told him to ship her. I had one I had to pull calves from twice in a row. I bought her from a guy because she was a super fancy cow. I was surprised he was selling her. Now I'm not so surprised. After her second pull at my place she went to the sale barn. Wonder if you bought her :).... Not possible since she was an angus from Michigan but you get my point. Sometimes cows come for sale because the previous owner doesn't want to deal with something.
1 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:41 am

I give ~1hour for a cow after she starts calving and then come to check if there are any progress. If there is some, I give her another 30min and check again. If at the first time there were feet out, usually at the second time she'll be calved already. If no progress present, or very little, just come to help. That's what I do if she calves in the shed's pen. If she's in the field in summer time, watch from some distance for progress and if there are none then help.
As it was mentioned earlier, if it's a night time, it's way faster to help abit.
Also the size of feet plays a huge role in deciding if will help right now, or give her time. Also if it's a heifer or if it's a cow calving.
2 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:19 pm

zirlottkim wrote:
Logar wrote:

Cheers

I did run her through the chute. I had a bad experience before. Had a cow go down in the chute and had to disassemble it get her out. So with this one, I got her in sweep tub and forced her in alley backwards and caught her in chute that way. Head in, body out. That way if she went down, she would be outside. That worked very well.
when I'm pulling one, I don't put them in the head catch...I run them in the chute and put a bar behind them..
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Randi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:43 pm

We have a maternity pen. We finally bought one a couple years ago. But we have had a homemade one for years. Not a problem if they go down in it.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:08 pm

We put in short alley leading to chute. Put halter on them & then open the panel making up the alley, so if she goes down it is not a problem.
I wouldn't want to put a bar behind them while we were pulling. Seems like that could cause some problems.
Main thing, don't let them work for too long. Adds to the chance of a dead calf.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”