A question for commercial guys.

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Re: A question for commercial guys.

Postby Till-Hill » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:39 am

gcreekrch wrote:Would you rather buy bulls from a breeder that uses their own genetics breeding back into their herd or someone who breeds 30 cows to 29 different AI bulls?

IMO it's kinda hard to get much consistency when it's like picking wildflowers.

I do realize there is a point...........

On commercial side yes I say I buy my bulls from someone who uses their own genetics. On sire AND dam side. See a lot of these programs just going and buying a cow family and the prefix changes 3 times in 3 generations. It's great that a cow family works at a number of different places but I do not see pride into building a herd either when all your doing is buying everyone else's genetics.

On the flip side to this why would I waste my time AI'ing cows if I am not single cow single bull mating them? Might well just buy a darn good bull and turn him out. I'm going to use my single time AI to individually mate every cow to a bull that can fix and or make any issues she may have may it be in her pedigree/epd's/structure.

Also if breeder is not using a few different bulls how is the commercial guy going to keep buying bulls there?
1 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: A question for commercial guys.

Postby gcreekrch » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:58 am

Till-Hill wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:Would you rather buy bulls from a breeder that uses their own genetics breeding back into their herd or someone who breeds 30 cows to 29 different AI bulls?

IMO it's kinda hard to get much consistency when it's like picking wildflowers.

I do realize there is a point...........

On commercial side yes I say I buy my bulls from someone who uses their own genetics. On sire AND dam side. See a lot of these programs just going and buying a cow family and the prefix changes 3 times in 3 generations. It's great that a cow family works at a number of different places but I do not see pride into building a herd either when all your doing is buying everyone else's genetics.

On the flip side to this why would I waste my time AI'ing cows if I am not single cow single bull mating them? Might well just buy a darn good bull and turn him out. I'm going to use my single time AI to individually mate every cow to a bull that can fix and or make any issues she may have may it be in her pedigree/epd's/structure.

Also if breeder is not using a few different bulls how is the commercial guy going to keep buying bulls there?

Agree with your first paragraph.

My opinion on your second point would be it's harder to micro manage than macro manage.

Thirdly, most people change bulls every three years, you should too. The bigger commercial outfits will keep bulls as long as they can walk and pass a semen test. We had one bull finally crock up at 11 years of age. He sure left a lot of good daughters here.
1 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”