Barn camera

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Barn camera

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:19 pm

onsight247.com
koehnmarketing.com
0 x
Stocker Steve

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:16 am

Yes. Ours is IP based and I use an app to watch our camera. We can preset it for stall 1, 2,3, etc... but I have a full rotation.

It’s a panasonic wv-sc384. 3 years old or so but new, it was $2500. Quick google search and I see it has went down in price, drastically.

This has held up in our cold winters and has good pic quality. I can really zoom in on calving and ensure feet are coming correctly or grab an ear tag before she gets moved to a stall.
0 x

Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Randi » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:18 am

Ours are wireless, rated to go up to 2 miles, With line of sight. Th receiver hooks up to a TV or computer screen, and this operates off a joystick.

http://www.allenleigh.ca/index.php?rout ... ation_id=9

This is the one we have, excellent for larger areas. For a smaller barn 10x might work better.
http://www.allenleigh.ca/index.php?rout ... duct_id=55

Also, just a note, this is a Canadian company and prices are in CDN dollars. I believe this camera translates to about $2300 USD. They have lots of options.
0 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:15 am

Anyone have the Koehn camera? Price isn’t too bad, supposed to have 1 mile range
0 x

Ned Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ned Jr. » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:16 am

0 x
If attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler

Dubcharo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dubcharo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:00 pm

It’s calving time here and we have one of the coldest winter In history! But we are at 42 cows with 43 calves so it’s not that bad in the barns.
We are at our fourth year with cameras and we cannot live without them anymore! Technology goes fast so I am sure that there’s new cameras on the market better than what we have. Our system was installed by a technician, so I think the best is to call someone who is in that business near you.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:44 pm

Dubcharo wrote:It’s calving time here and we have one of the coldest winter In history! But we are at 42 cows with 43 calves so it’s not that bad in the barns.
We are at our fourth year with cameras and we cannot live without them anymore! Technology goes fast so I am sure that there’s new cameras on the market better than what we have. Our system was installed by a technician, so I think the best is to call someone who is in that business near you.

I assume someone is watching 24/7 otherwise watching a replay would be pretty worthless if a problem arose.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:46 pm

If you had the choice to setup another barn would you guy's use wifi, or bury a cat6 cable? Couple hundred foot run.

Despite the hassle of digging, I think I want to use cable rather than mess with more wifi junk.
0 x

Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Randi » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:41 am

I like the wireless ones we have, they're not Wi-Fi. And I'm not sure if it want Wi-Fi anyways.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:14 am

Dubcharo wrote:We are at our fourth year with cameras and we cannot live without them anymore!

Also a curse. I find myself GLUED to them. Even all hours of the night. I am so sleep deprived, my coffee needs coffee. My husband gives me a hard time about it but I can’t turn away when one is calving.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:17 am

Supa Dexta wrote:If you had the choice to setup another barn would you guy's use wifi, or bury a cat6 cable? Couple hundred foot run.

Despite the hassle of digging, I think I want to use cable rather than mess with more wifi junk.

WiFi.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:21 am

And I don't mean wifi cameras, but rather how to connect to the system from the house.
0 x

Dubcharo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dubcharo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:05 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:If you had the choice to setup another barn would you guy's use wifi, or bury a cat6 cable? Couple hundred foot run.

With the weather we have (-22F next day +45F with rain and return to -10F) It's tought on the wifi! But most of the time it work well.
NEFarmwife wrote:
Dubcharo wrote:
We are at our fourth year with cameras and we cannot live without them anymore!

Also a curse. I find myself GLUED to them. Even all hours of the night. I am so sleep deprived, my coffee needs coffee. My husband gives me a hard time about it but I can’t turn away when one is calving.

We are 3 brothers here and I have full confidence in the one who watch at night so I sleep well.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:11 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
Dubcharo wrote:We are at our fourth year with cameras and we cannot live without them anymore!

That as my question. Who watches calving when you're asleep??? Seems it would require 24/7 monitoring or it would be worthless.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:17 pm

TexasBred wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:

That as my question. Who watches calving when you're asleep??? Seems it would require 24/7 monitoring or it would be worthless.

In the height of calving, you could get up every couple hours just as you would to go physically check but you can be in the comfort of your own home with our system. Or, in two cases this year already... because I had access to camera, I was able to catch calves that had fell over themselves during birth and we were able to rush up there to save them. Had we not had the camera, we more than likely wouldn’t have. We’re calving 10-15 a day at moment.

If nothing is really going on, you go back to bed. Cows, not a whole lot to babysit but we just finished with heifers. Still a lot of physical presence but a camera doesn’t require you to babysit at the barn the whole time.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”