Twins

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Twins

Postby Tbrake » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:30 pm

I’m with most on here. Twins suck. I average 3-4 a year. Loose more than live most years. Pulled backwards twin bulls the other morning in pouring rain, both right around 100 lbs. both survived and both are doing well now. Mom is taking care of both. Had another set the next afternoon, bull and heifer. Mom wanted nothing to do with the bull. He was up and trying to suck very quickly and mom would kick him. The twin heifer was very weak and took a lot of help, but tube feed colostrum and pended them up. By the next evening she had finally sucked. I am still tube feeding the bull calf, after pulling him from the pasture he will not suck. In a perfect world there would be no such thing as twins
1 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:49 pm

I agree Tbrake, I would far sooner have one good live calf. Had a set of twins yesterday. Had to pull the second calf (freemartin) as it had a front leg back. Mother has tons of milk, but doesn't want the bull calf. So we have a bottle feeder until a suitable mother comes along. Year in year out we get between 8 and 16 sets of twins and it can get to be a trial. Usually end up with a batch that are sucking the bottle good and sell them online.
1 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:34 pm

Silver wrote:I agree Tbrake, I would far sooner have one good live calf. Had a set of twins yesterday. Had to pull the second calf (freemartin) as it had a front leg back. Mother has tons of milk, but doesn't want the bull calf. So we have a bottle feeder until a suitable mother comes along. Year in year out we get between 8 and 16 sets of twins and it can get to be a trial. Usually end up with a batch that are sucking the bottle good and sell them online.

Funny, we've never had a twinning cow not take both calves until a surrogate is found. Keeping the calves in a pen together and letting the cow in twice daily until she gets accustomed to the idea has always worked.

We've never ended up with a bottle calf either. Debbie is a master at grafting and I've learned a bit. :)
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:49 pm

Tbrake wrote:In a perfect world there would be no such thing as twins

I reckon I'm far from perfect then...
:lol:

I'm a twin..got twin sons..got twin grand sons and twin cousins. My daughter was a twin but her sister was still born.
3 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:20 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Silver wrote:I agree Tbrake, I would far sooner have one good live calf. Had a set of twins yesterday. Had to pull the second calf (freemartin) as it had a front leg back. Mother has tons of milk, but doesn't want the bull calf. So we have a bottle feeder until a suitable mother comes along. Year in year out we get between 8 and 16 sets of twins and it can get to be a trial. Usually end up with a batch that are sucking the bottle good and sell them online.

Funny, we've never had a twinning cow not take both calves until a surrogate is found. Keeping the calves in a pen together and letting the cow in twice daily until she gets accustomed to the idea has always worked.

We've never ended up with a bottle calf either. Debbie is a master at grafting and I've learned a bit. :)

We do the same with twins as you, keep mom in a stall in close quarters with the twins, letting her out for feed and water every so often. This one just wanted one calf and after 2 days I figured the bull calf was going to get killed so cut the losses.
A year or two ago we ended up calving season with a calf for every cow and sold 6 bottle calves. Sometimes it works out like that and often it doesn't.
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:28 am

But they're cute! These are the twins I had 2 days ago.. Momma has enough milk for about 6 of them right now, and accepts them both

1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”