Lost first calf of season

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
herofan
GURU
GURU

Lost first calf of season

Postby herofan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:52 pm

Just had my first calf of the season and lost it to a broken leg. It was a heifer’s first calf. I sometimes complain when cows hide out for two weeks with their calf, but this one gave birth in high traffic around the hay. I’m guessing the leg got stepped on. The bone was through the skin. The vet gave options, but not a good prognosis under the circumstances, so we put it down.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Lost first calf of season

Postby Silver » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:54 pm

That sucks. I don't recall one through the skin, but we've had broken legs through the years. We always keep casting material on hand and have had pretty good luck as long as it's below the knee or hock.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:08 pm

That stinks. Sorry.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:55 pm

Silver wrote:That sucks. I don't recall one through the skin, but we've had broken legs through the years. We always keep casting material on hand and have had pretty good luck as long as it's below the knee or hock.

The vet did say that as long as it’s not through the skin, he has great luck with casts. I’ve never had one with a broken leg before. I guess if I felt I knew what I was doing and had casting material, that might help.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:59 pm

So sorry....something always seems to happen to the first heifers calf. I looked out the window and I could see a ruckus going on in our heifer group. When one wouldn't move from the fence and others came over to her to fight, we thought maybe she had a calf there. Dashed out to get a look and there was nothing there. Not sure why this one heifer wouldn't leave this spot and would fight anyone who came near it. Heifers, will never totally understand them. I guess its time to move the first calf heifers to the house pasture. I dread that first calf. The first one the year before last broke his leg. We gave that calf to our daughter and she's been feeding him to eat. Broke his femur but healed enough so he can move ok but would have been docked really hard at the sale so we gave him to our daughter....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:19 pm

Sorry to hear that. That is a part of it that I don't like. Had one get down in mud a couple years ago.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:02 am

Sorry to hear that. What a horrible way to lose an otherwise perfectly healthy calf.
0 x

Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Randi » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:24 am

Same thing here last spring. One of the first calves born, laying by the bale feeder. We were actually working on some fence nearby and heard this awful cracking sound. Broke his hind leg, high up in the hip. 2 days old and we had to put him down. And there were only about 5 cows in that pen.
0 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:43 am

I know the feeling. I’m about to pull my hair out. I’ve only had 12 so far since jan 1. Have lost 5 of them. 1 the cow didn’t lick the bag off the face, 1 didn’t seem to want to push, pulled a dead calf the next morning. Easy pull and was positioned properly(my only thinking is I had mom locked up in the barn and she was nervous and didn’t want to push. It was -9 that night) had a heifer spit one off in a ditch and abandon it. One got stepped on, and one just died. Not sure what happened. Only thing I know is I’m about to lose my mind. Wet and nasty here now, so I’m sure scours will be the next thing. Cows are fun.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:05 pm

Tbrake wrote:I know the feeling. I’m about to pull my hair out. I’ve only had 12 so far since jan 1. Have lost 5 of them. 1 the cow didn’t lick the bag off the face, 1 didn’t seem to want to push, pulled a dead calf the next morning. Easy pull and was positioned properly(my only thinking is I had mom locked up in the barn and she was nervous and didn’t want to push. It was -9 that night) had a heifer spit one off in a ditch and abandon it. One got stepped on, and one just died. Not sure what happened. Only thing I know is I’m about to lose my mind. Wet and nasty here now, so I’m sure scours will be the next thing. Cows are fun.

Dang... How many cows do you have left to calve?
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:03 pm

Around 75 more springs. Ai due feb 12th. Hope things go a little more smoothly for the rest
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:40 pm

Tbrake wrote:Around 75 more springs. Ai due feb 12th. Hope things go a little more smoothly for the rest

Wow! Sending good wishes for the rest of spring calving - you're definitely due for some good luck!
1 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:38 pm

I’m feeling better. I recently had 3 more calves, and they are all doing great!
4 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:30 pm

Had a 6 year old cow decide she would rather be burger today and aborted. It is proven this is normal for 2 to 5% but they never get easier to accept.
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:59 pm

Herofan, always helps when you get some nice healthy, bouncy ones!

gcreek.. I had one cow that had aborted 2 sets of twin in a row.. each time she readily adopted an orphan or twin, so she stuck around, but wasn't giving her a 3rd chance.. and good thing, I didn't need her "services" the next year either
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”