Lost first calf of season

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
herofan
GURU
GURU

Re: Lost first calf of season

Postby herofan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:33 pm

I’m on a roll now. I found this interesting little gal, along with two others, this morning.
1 x

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:49 pm

Nice looking calf.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:59 pm

herofan wrote:I’m on a roll now. I found this interesting little gal, along with two others, this morning.

Interesting? She's cute as he$$! Love her markings and congrats.
0 x

machslammer
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby machslammer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Good deal! Glad your luck is getting better. Dad has had 5 heifers attempt to calve this year and a cow already out of 65 head. 1 heifer and her calf dead, 2 heifers had calves that are ok, 1 cow with calf head turned backwards and it died, and the other 2 heifers stopped attempting to push after so far along and wouldn't let us get close to them or get them up and both calves died.. Rough start for lots of people sounds like
0 x

Txpiney
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Txpiney » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:12 pm

The death bug has bitten me. I lost one of my twins.
Couldn't tell what happened to her. Found her in some very thick youpon bushes.

:bang:
Hopefully got my bad luck out of the way. This is the first calf I've lost since 2014 (knock on wood)
0 x

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Luckiamute » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:13 am

Here's hoping everyone has the best of luck and positive results with the remainder of your respective calving seasons.
1 x

nocows
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby nocows » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Sounds like I am not the only one with bad luck to start the year off, decided to expand our herd bought a real nice set of bred heifers due to calve February 8th. First one went Saturday sometime in the early morning hours cleaned her off and everything, not sure if it was still born or suffocated after birth but lost that one. Today had the vet come out to pull one and the calf didn't make it now the heifer isn't doing good either. Not to mention the vet bill to go along with my dead calf........

Rough go so far...
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:22 pm

Had my first of the season today.. 2-3 weeks early, dont' know what happened, have a call in to my vet.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:23 pm

nocows wrote:Sounds like I am not the only one with bad luck to start the year off, decided to expand our herd bought a real nice set of bred heifers due to calve February 8th. First one went Saturday sometime in the early morning hours cleaned her off and everything, not sure if it was still born or suffocated after birth but lost that one. Today had the vet come out to pull one and the calf didn't make it now the heifer isn't doing good either. Not to mention the vet bill to go along with my dead calf........

Rough go so far...

darnit, that sucks...
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:43 pm

Hate to see the bad luck y'all are having. We're getting ready to start calving in a couple of weeks. In 2016 we had all kinds of weird problems, lost a few calves but no cows so that was something.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:00 pm

Hopeful things turn around for all of you! Had our first calf last week and I just have a gut feeling it was a twin. Saw mama first thing in the morning & was sure she calved because of the blood/gunk wrapped around her tail & her messy behind. Couldn't find the calf - after 2 hours of searching. Decided to take her to the barn & check her out when she walked away 'bout 150 yards & spit out a bull calf. Okay, then! But this calf is tiny, maybe 60 lbs, and she's not only a big girl but has always had big calves. Trying to find the other calf - if there is one - is like looking for the quintessential needle in a haystack and I'll most likely never know unless I eventually stumble upon the remains or one of the dogs presents me with a bone. That said, calf is doing great.
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:36 pm

herofan wrote:I’m on a roll now. I found this interesting little gal, along with two others, this morning.

Things took a bad turn. This little gal was found dead. I’ve talked to some other farmers around who are loosing more than usual. Vet says pneumonia is rough this year.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:53 am

Dang, pretty little calf too!
When's the last time you saw her, anything look wrong?

On my heifer that slipped her calf, she's settled into becoming a milk cow now, standing pretty good for it and lets down her milk without much fuss.. She comes from a long line of milkable cows, and her udder is like her mommas.. the same quarters that milked best on her momma are her strongest as well
1 x
-Christopher Hitchens

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:41 am

Tbrake wrote:I know the feeling. I’m about to pull my hair out. I’ve only had 12 so far since jan 1. Have lost 5 of them. 1 the cow didn’t lick the bag off the face, 1 didn’t seem to want to push, pulled a dead calf the next morning. Easy pull and was positioned properly(my only thinking is I had mom locked up in the barn and she was nervous and didn’t want to push. It was -9 that night) had a heifer spit one off in a ditch and abandon it. One got stepped on, and one just died. Not sure what happened. Only thing I know is I’m about to lose my mind. Wet and nasty here now, so I’m sure scours will be the next thing. Cows are fun.

Where are you located? Most of US is Selenium deficient. do you give your cows SE in mineral or shots? Some of what you described could be explained by SE deficiency. Cows don't have the "will" to push. Calves born weak.
Herofan - glad to hear things are going better.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:52 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Tbrake wrote:I know the feeling. I’m about to pull my hair out. I’ve only had 12 so far since jan 1. Have lost 5 of them. 1 the cow didn’t lick the bag off the face, 1 didn’t seem to want to push, pulled a dead calf the next morning. Easy pull and was positioned properly(my only thinking is I had mom locked up in the barn and she was nervous and didn’t want to push. It was -9 that night) had a heifer spit one off in a ditch and abandon it. One got stepped on, and one just died. Not sure what happened. Only thing I know is I’m about to lose my mind. Wet and nasty here now, so I’m sure scours will be the next thing. Cows are fun.

Where are you located? Most of US is Selenium deficient. do you give your cows SE in mineral or shots? Some of what you described could be explained by SE deficiency. Cows don't have the "will" to push. Calves born weak.
Herofan - glad to hear things are going better.

I am feeding vitaferm conceptaid. It has maximum se allowed. As much as I hesitate to say this, things have been going pretty smoothly the last couple weeks. The last 40 I haven’t lost any. 1 close call, but will a little love the calf is doing fine. 100 acre pasture, but she decided to have the calf right next to the creek. Next morning the calf was laid out flat on the ice
1 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”