Cow staggering around?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Cow staggering around?

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:19 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I got a ear full for giving her two heavy doses of Baytryil. Dr Jones told me don't give strong antibiotics to pregnant cows, and if you do start out with la200. I never remember hearing about not giving pregnant cows antibiotics.

Vince,

I read a lot of the detailed manufacturer's information that is located at their websites for vaccines, antibiotics, and other drugs. There are often warnings about the effects of the drugs on reproductive performance, lactation and pregnancy. Many say the effects have not been determined. Personally, I avoid any drugs if I can when I am breeding and in early pregnancy.

I am not surprised that you got an ear full.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:29 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I got a ear full for giving her two heavy doses of Baytryil. Dr Jones told me don't give strong antibiotics to pregnant cows, and if you do start out with la200. I never remember hearing about not giving pregnant cows antibiotics.

Vince,

I read a lot of the detailed manufacturer's information that is located at their websites for vaccines, antibiotics, and other drugs. There are often warnings about the effects of the drugs on reproductive performance, lactation and pregnancy. Many say the effects have not been determined. Personally, I avoid any drugs if I can when I am breeding and in early pregnancy.

If you read the directions, warnings, disclaimers and side effects everything we use can or might cause this or that.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:46 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Vince,

If you read the directions, warnings, disclaimers and side effects everything we use can or might cause this or that.

I agree. Part of that is their lawyers trying to protect the company from damage claims. I actually try to avoid pumping too many chemicals into my cows or my own body.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:59 pm

Here's the cow with the staggers, she's doing a lot better. I wish I'd of waited before I posted a question now. But I do appreciate the help, when the vet couldn't make it I figured we were in a bad spot.

1 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:05 pm

I see the problem. She's yeller.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:26 pm

M-5 wrote:I see the problem. She's yeller.

I have 6 of those crazy smokie cows and all are wild. I'm going to sell them after they calve, I'm not putting up with that crap. They're from the same herd I bought those heavy bred cows from. The blacks and reds are manageable, I'm pretty much done with white and yeller cattle.
0 x

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Gators Rule » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:11 pm

If she's only staggering in her rear quarters, I would be placing my money on her having a nerve issue with the calf, whether the calf is floating or not. Not different from a woman having sciatic nerve issues when her unborn child is resting a limb or pushing on a nerve from the womb.

I agree on the all the warning label info. I really cringe on the human drug warning shown on TV that says, "you may feel the need to commit suicide. If so, call your doctor." or something like that...
0 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”