Bull Dilemma

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Col Reb
Beginner
Beginner

Bull Dilemma

Postby Col Reb » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:54 am

Let me start by saying I am a small one-man hobby operation. My dilemma is that I had a bull (offspring of a Sitz Upward)that I was forced to sell due to a back leg injury. I bought another bull from the same friend. He is also out of the same sire but different dam (half-brother you might say). I kept 4 heifers out of the bull I sold. Would it be ok to use this new bull (the half-brother of the bull I sold) on those heifers or am I asking for trouble?
I can't afford a registered bull so I purchase my bulls from a friend with a commercial herd that has some good genetic history. I know epd's will not be exactly accurate but nicer animals than most around home. He has a yearling that he was going to take to the sale because he is a first timer out of a heifer with some good history (heifer from dam of Tour of Duty & sire from Tanner farms (unk sire/dam) but good numbers per my friend. He says that he does not think that he will grow off like he should since he's out of a first timer. Should I use what I have or buy the yearling out of the first timer? I know that a good bull is a great investment & the time is coming in the future when I can afford one. However, it's not here yet so I have to work with what I have.
Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Bull Dilemma

Postby dun » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:20 am

I wouldn;t worry about 1 time.
2 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:52 pm

Either scenario is OK.
Breeding your heifers to their sire's half-sib is not a problem, especially for a commercial producer - unless both were carriers of a known genetic defect. You'll get little black calves, and they won't know or care (and no one else will either) that their father is also their uncle.
If I liked the bull I had on hand, I'd continue to use him, unless there was something about the other one that made it worth selling this one in order to make room for him.
3 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:30 pm

Lucky summed it up well.

Ken
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:36 am

Some of my best heifers last year came from close matings. I'll have to wait another year to see how they really perform but things look good so far
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

strihafarms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby strihafarms » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:52 am

My only concern would be if your current bulls has enough calving ease to use on heifers
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”