Who's the sire?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
User avatar
Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:09 pm
Location: North Texas
Contact:

Re: Who's the sire?

Postby Backbone Ranch » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:34 pm

Texasmark wrote:Surely a keeper. On daddy, check the pedigree. You never know when a quirk will show up in an offspring. I do grade animals but have friends who do registered stock and an odd ball will pop up every now and then, like a Red Brangus calf show up in a Black Brangus registered herd.


Because MCC Trigger's Champion is an American-bred Murray Grey, he was the result of a grading up process. Very few purebreds were imported, so most breeders bought semen from Australia and Tasmania and bred these purebred bulls by AI to whatever cattle they had. Trigger's Champion is 1/16th Shorthorn, still considered a purebred by the association standards. However, since Murray Greys are known for calving ease, a lot of people were breeding them to Holsteins in the 1970s and 80s. The resulting calves were then sold to breeders that intended to grade up to a purebred status. We will occasionally have a throwback every once in a while.
1 x
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9609
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Who's the sire?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:00 pm

Just got onto this thread, I was going to say, if he's good looking, he's a Tony!!
I will still stick to that. He looked better as a younger calf. I am not so impressed with this current pic.
Because of his coloring at birth, I would have put my money on the AI bull.

and for those haven't followed some of our conversations, I LOVE BBR's cattle, I am not being insulting! I just really like her Tony offspring.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

waihou
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 3:10 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Who's the sire?

Postby waihou » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:00 pm

If I hadn't scrolled down to the bottom for the DNA result I would have said he was the son of Trigger! An interesting looking type, not your typical MG, but leggy and quite smooth.

We had the same last year with a calf born on 15th August, when his due date to AI was 6th August, but he could have been 8 days early to a natural mating.
We DNA'd through tail hairs as he was 42 kgs born(@92lbs) and the AI sire was supposedly a low b.w. bull, but being so late we decided it was unlikely at that weight that he was early, glad we did!
He is the son of Mount Major Kingswood (Au), and the only bull calf from that AI programme so will be using him this year over heifers.
0 x

User avatar
TwoByrdsMG
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Who's the sire?

Postby TwoByrdsMG » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:25 pm

waihou wrote:If I hadn't scrolled down to the bottom for the DNA result I would have said he was the son of Trigger! An interesting looking type, not your typical MG, but leggy and quite smooth.

We had the same last year with a calf born on 15th August, when his due date to AI was 6th August, but he could have been 8 days early to a natural mating.
We DNA'd through tail hairs as he was 42 kgs born(@92lbs) and the AI sire was supposedly a low b.w. bull, but being so late we decided it was unlikely at that weight that he was early, glad we did!
He is the son of Mount Major Kingswood (Au), and the only bull calf from that AI programme so will be using him this year over heifers.


Waihou- would love to see pictures of your Kingswood calf
0 x

User avatar
Brookhill Angus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:45 pm

Re: Who's the sire?

Postby Brookhill Angus » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:00 pm

With Angus Assoc dna tests, a simple blood sample from the tail on a test strip and you would know pretty fast the parentage, given the dam and sire are both tested. Not sure if you can do this with your breed, but I’m sure Zoetis probably has a test out there for you. Is the AI sire you used DNA tested?
0 x
Brookhill Angus/Registered Angus since 1967

User avatar
Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:09 pm
Location: North Texas
Contact:

Re: Who's the sire?

Postby Backbone Ranch » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:13 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:With Angus Assoc dna tests, a simple blood sample from the tail on a test strip and you would know pretty fast the parentage, given the dam and sire are both tested. Not sure if you can do this with your breed, but I’m sure Zoetis probably has a test out there for you. Is the AI sire you used DNA tested?


Yes both of the bulls were DNA tested, and so Igenity was able to match this calf to the sire that they had on file. In order to be used as an AI sire, the Murray Grey Association requires that the bull have a DNA profile on file with the association. I am not sure that it is required for all associations, but it is pretty convenient to get an AI sire's DNA profile sent to the association. That way, other breeders will not have to sacrifice their straws for testing, and if there is a question regarding parentage, the association has a hard copy of the DNA profile.
1 x
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

User avatar
Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:09 pm
Location: North Texas
Contact:

Re: Who's the sire?

Postby Backbone Ranch » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:19 pm

TwoByrdsMG wrote:
waihou wrote:If I hadn't scrolled down to the bottom for the DNA result I would have said he was the son of Trigger! An interesting looking type, not your typical MG, but leggy and quite smooth.

We had the same last year with a calf born on 15th August, when his due date to AI was 6th August, but he could have been 8 days early to a natural mating.
We DNA'd through tail hairs as he was 42 kgs born(@92lbs) and the AI sire was supposedly a low b.w. bull, but being so late we decided it was unlikely at that weight that he was early, glad we did!
He is the son of Mount Major Kingswood (Au), and the only bull calf from that AI programme so will be using him this year over heifers.


Waihou- would love to see pictures of your Kingswood calf


TwoByrdsMG- Waihou has a facebook page where she posts photos of her Murray Grey herd pretty frequently. To my knowledge, she has at least two Kingswood heifers and a Kingswood bull that are yearlings now.
https://www.facebook.com/Yorkvale-Murray-Greys-357511604361453/
1 x
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/


Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests