Heifer lost calf

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Heifer lost calf

Postby kentuckyguy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:18 pm

Had a heifer have a calf light night that died during birth. Cow is up and doing fine but I’m not sure what to do with the heifer. I don’t have access to any calves to put on her. Will it ruin her udder if she is not being nursed?

Trying to decide whether or not to ship her or breed her again. She’s a good heifer I just think he calf was way to big for her.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Heifer lost calf

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:25 pm

Her udder will be fine. If she is a nice heifer. Give her another chance. If the calf was too big, reassess the bull.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Txpiney
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Txpiney » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Or have the heifer pelvic area measured, or was she too young?
0 x

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kentuckyguy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:43 pm

She is a 25 month old Hereford. I think my problem was using my father in laws new bull that was supposed to be a low bw angus bull. The calf was almost 90lbs
0 x

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kickinbull » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:07 pm

Earlier this year we had 2 heifers the had very big still born calves. The rest from same bull we’re just nice size. We were able to graft a calf on one, but not the other.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:48 am

Had several heifers which lost their calves and stayed without a calf until next calving. Make sure that she doesn't get very good feed and she should be fine. One heifer lost her calf last summer, so she later had mastitis in one of her teats as she was grazzing in good grass. The ones, which are on hay never had problems and did just fine next year.
The size of the calf depends a lot from the dam too. Some cows just tend to have big calves no matter what bull you'll use. But as an elder animal they are easier to calve than a heifer.
0 x

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:38 am

Udder will be fine. Was she really small? I am absolutely not encouraging the birth of 90# calves in heifers, but just saying a lot of 25 month old heifers should be able to handle a 90# calf.
1 x

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kentuckyguy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:06 am

I agree they should be able to handle the calves. To be honest I’m just getting started in cattle and I have learned real quick that getting good cows that calve without problems is not easy.

The Hereford heifer had plenty of frame size. She might have even been a little bigger than I like. She got the calf out on her own but it looks to me like the calf’s cord broke before she could get it free and it suffocated. I work 12 hour shifts so I am not able to keep an eye on my heifers like I would like to.

At the point I was just trying to figure out whether or not to give her another shot or move her down the road and take a chance with something else.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:09 am

kentuckyguy wrote:I agree they should be able to handle the calves. To be honest I’m just getting started in cattle and I have learned real quick that getting good cows that calve without problems is not easy.

The Hereford heifer had plenty of frame size. She might have even been a little bigger than I like. She got the calf out on her own but it looks to me like the calf’s cord broke before she could get it free and it suffocated. I work 12 hour shifts so I am not able to keep an eye on my heifers like I would like to.

At the point I was just trying to figure out whether or not to give her another shot or move her down the road and take a chance with something else.

I give second chances.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:19 am

I gave heifers second chances till I reached carrying capacity. And every heifer that I've given a second chance to has worked out fine. Now I expect a heifer or cow to produce a live calf every year or their going for a ride.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:20 am

kentuckyguy wrote:I agree they should be able to handle the calves. To be honest I’m just getting started in cattle and I have learned real quick that getting good cows that calve without problems is not easy.

The biggest issue with giving a second chance is her getting too fat. Just don't feed her and get her bred back . If its just a case of bad luck i alwways give a second chance .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:36 am

Honestly, I'd sell that heifer and roll the money in to the next one. She'll be be crowding 4 years old before you sell a calf out of her. She occupying space, time, and resources that another one could.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:54 am

This is hard thing for most of us. Keep or sell??? I read an interesting g article in Beef Magazine a while back. Basically keeping a non producing heifer or cow will cost way more than taking the heifer to the sale and picking up a young bred cow. I was going to hold on to 3 that either sluffed late or had a calf die at birth. But decided that next week I'm hauling them and going to use the money to buy more hay (we are in a drought). Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:02 am

Coosh71 wrote:This is hard thing for most of us. Keep or sell??? I read an interesting g article in Beef Magazine a while back. Basically keeping a non producing heifer or cow will cost way more than taking the heifer to the sale and picking up a young bred cow. I was going to hold on to 3 that either sluffed late or had a calf die at birth. But decided that next week I'm hauling them and going to use the money to buy more hay (we are in a drought). Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Those article don't address risk. You may get some thing just as bad or worse from the sale barn.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:25 am

Txpiney wrote:Or have the heifer pelvic area measured, or was she too young?

How do you measure the pelvic area? What measurements are acceptable? I've got a heifer that needed a bit of assistance with her calf a few weeks back. She's my smallest and her hips look narrower than my other girls.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”