Heifer lost calf

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Heifer lost calf

Postby Coosh71 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:56 am

Brute I agree there's a risk ESPECIALLY from the sale barn. A lot of what we do is calculated and proven. And, a lot is from our own gut. I am guilty of "liking" a particular cow or heifer and holding onto them. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. But if you run your herd like a business how can recycling the same low or non producing animals make sense? We have a spring and fall group. We have given animals a "2nd Chance", and moved them from one calving period to the other. As a result more recently I have three 4 year olds that we moved to our spring herd because they were open. Now they are the last 3 to calve in this new herd. I'm gonna sell them because I'm trying to retain heifers, and I know I don't want any from those 3. Everyone's operational goals are unique. We need to make some money with ours, and not make it a petting zoo lol.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:29 am

NonTypicalCPA wrote:
Txpiney wrote:Or have the heifer pelvic area measured, or was she too young?

How do you measure the pelvic area? What measurements are acceptable? I've got a heifer that needed a bit of assistance with her calf a few weeks back. She's my smallest and her hips look narrower than my other girls.

My vet measures when they get their BANGS at 11 months. Measurements (at least in my case) are based on turning them out with the bull at 15 months, calving at 24. Minimum acceptable measurements are contingent on your bull/your operation. Just because a heifers hips look narrow doesn't mean she has a small pelvic measurement. The link is a pretty good explanation:
http://www.thebeefsite.com/articles/903 ... ifficulty/
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:35 am

NonTypicalCPA wrote:
Txpiney wrote:Or have the heifer pelvic area measured, or was she too young?

How do you measure the pelvic area? What measurements are acceptable? I've got a heifer that needed a bit of assistance with her calf a few weeks back. She's my smallest and her hips look narrower than my other girls.

Found an old topic:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=107999&hilit=this+is+why+we+pelvic+measure
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Thanks TC!
0 x

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckyguy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:15 pm

I’ve decided to give her another chance. She’s a very well made heifer with good disposition.

I really hate the idea of bringing in any outside animals. I know sometimes you have to (bull) but I would sure hate to trade a heifer who may or may not do good with her next calf for some type of disease problem.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:05 am

kentuckyguy wrote:I’ve decided to give her another chance. She’s a very well made heifer with good disposition.

I really hate the idea of bringing in any outside animals. I know sometimes you have to (bull) but I would sure hate to trade a heifer who may or may not do good with her next calf for some type of disease problem.

I think you did the right thing.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”