Strange one today

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Strange one today

Postby MRRherefords » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:57 am

We had a calf born last night that had something on its mouth. I thought it was afterbirth so I went to clean it off and it was bleeding. Figured this few hour old calf had maybe stumbled into the fence or something similar and cut its mouth open. Called the vet up and he determined that it was a tumor. It was about the size of a golf ball in total size and was both on the outside and the inside of the lower lip. He sedated it and removed it. He told us he had never seen anything like it in a newborn. The tumor took some teeth with it and I am not sure if the teeth had anything to do with it or not. Really hoping he can nurse after the soreness goes away, which may be a while. Has anyone ever had anything like this before? I have heard of tumors in calves, but not as soon as they come out of the womb!
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Strange one today

Postby TCRanch » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:35 pm

Yikes! And no, I haven't. Following - hope someone else has an answer with a positive outcome.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:32 pm

Was the tumour sent away for histopath? That will give you the answer. Sounds like some embryonic malformation involving the teeth/tooth????????

Ken
0 x

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:46 pm

wbvs58 wrote:Was the tumour sent away for histopath? That will give you the answer. Sounds like some embryonic malformation involving the teeth/tooth????????

Ken

On its way to Ohio now. I believe that you are right when you say it has something to do with the teeth.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:16 pm

We got a cleft palate calf 2 days ago. Luckily, he can suck and swallow so maybe he'll make beef someday.

In honour of a grade school chum I had, I named him Greg.
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:36 pm

MRR

We have never had anything like that on a new born. I will be following the thread to hear what the lab has to say. Hope the calf heals up with no additional issues.

Gizmom
1 x
Respect give it to get it!

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:30 pm

Update: calf is up and healthy, nursing good. Our vet did a great job removing and patching up its mouth.
3 x

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Tue May 01, 2018 9:57 am

Went to check the calf this morning. Only 10 days post surgery and the tumor has grown back almost completely. The calf is still nursing and eating hay now, seems healthy. But if this continues to grow it will be a big problem. Vet says it may be cancerous as quick as it grew back. I hate to euthanize him as healthy as he seems. Just wondering what some of you guys might do if you were in this situation? I hate to euthanize, but cannot put another $200 some dollars into him again just to have it probably grow back. Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Tue May 01, 2018 1:43 pm

MRRherefords wrote:Went to check the calf this morning. Only 10 days post surgery and the tumor has grown back almost completely. The calf is still nursing and eating hay now, seems healthy. But if this continues to grow it will be a big problem. Vet says it may be cancerous as quick as it grew back. I hate to euthanize him as healthy as he seems. Just wondering what some of you guys might do if you were in this situation? I hate to euthanize, but cannot put another $200 some dollars into him again just to have it probably grow back. Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Have the biopsy reports come back yet? Should tell if its CA or not. If confirmed CA, i would euthanize. If not, may give it some time to see how much of a problem it will cause with calfs growth.
1 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Tue May 01, 2018 9:51 pm

bball wrote:
MRRherefords wrote:Went to check the calf this morning. Only 10 days post surgery and the tumor has grown back almost completely. The calf is still nursing and eating hay now, seems healthy. But if this continues to grow it will be a big problem. Vet says it may be cancerous as quick as it grew back. I hate to euthanize him as healthy as he seems. Just wondering what some of you guys might do if you were in this situation? I hate to euthanize, but cannot put another $200 some dollars into him again just to have it probably grow back. Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Have the biopsy reports come back yet? Should tell if its CA or not. If confirmed CA, i would euthanize. If not, may give it some time to see how much of a problem it will cause with calfs growth.

Biopsy reports have not come back yet. Thanks for your thoughts.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed May 02, 2018 10:07 am

Make him veal, instead of just euthanizing him. Keep him going until the meds clear his system. At least he does not go to waste that way. Sorry to hear about it, very sad indeed.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Wed May 02, 2018 10:44 am

I would guess cancer too. Had a lab with a hard cancerous growth on her hip that we removed late in her life. It grew back within a few weeks and we ended up having to put her down.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Wed May 02, 2018 4:15 pm

If it is cancer, I would euthanize the calf nd I would not eat the calf.
3 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”