White on Angus

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7589
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: White on Angus

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:16 am

From what I gathered the ASA would register anything bred to a Simmental or Simmental cross bull. I've been to Bozeman and ate supper in the ASA new building, their in it for the money. But the same can sorta of be said about the AAA also money wise.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: White on Angus

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:56 am

True Grit Farms wrote:From what I gathered the ASA would register anything bred to a Simmental or Simmental cross bull. I've been to Bozeman and ate supper in the ASA new building, their in it for the money. But the same can sorta of be said about the AAA also money wise.

Yes, bred to a REGISTERED cow or bull - offspring can be registered as a percentage. If you want a registered offspring, why wouldn't a breed association take your money?????? Well, duh - they are all a "for profit" business.
2 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: White on Angus

Postby elkwc » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:elkwc - I totally understand being docked! That's why ALL my steers sell private treaty direct to a feedlot - sight unseen. That dock for color is just "because they can" - not because the cattle are inferior.
But, I was referring to the fact that an Angus bull bred to "black" cows, does not mean the white is coming from the bull, the COW might be the contributor.
But, I also understand the bull may also be a white carrier (more white than acceptable from an Angus). No one wants to admit that there MAY be some "diluted genes" in the gene pool!

VA Ctl - ASA will record a REGISTERED animal as a "foundation" animal. IE - you have a reg. Angus bull (or any registered breed) that you want to use in an upgrading/crossbreeding program with your registered Simmental cows - or - you have a reg. Angus (or any breed) cow and you want to breed to a reg. Simm. bull, so you can registered the offspring. This is so that the data is more accurate for the offspring.
It costs $25 to add a REGISTERED other breed animal into the data base - the last I knew.


Jeanne I misunderstood your post and intent when I read it. I do agree that they dock because they can. And where the white or other issues comes from when a bull is used on commercial cows is many times hard to determine. It can be either or both I've found. I've seen it go both ways. The way we usually do is to change bulls but stay within the breed and see if it goes away or not. If it does we lay the blame on the bull and if it don't on the cows. It is like the registered Angus bulls we used who didn't take the horns off of cows. We changed bulls and they did. The bulls also had scurs. Feel there was a horn gene somewhere in the background. Many times the PB breeder will say it is commercial breeders cows or his neighbor's bull must of bred a few. All of which can be the case. But when an issue is scattered over a 60 day breeding period unless the breeder wasn't checking his cows at all he should of noticed it.
0 x

VirginiaCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Southwestern Virginia

Re: White on Angus

Postby VirginiaCattle » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:34 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:From what I gathered the ASA would register anything bred to a Simmental or Simmental cross bull. I've been to Bozeman and ate supper in the ASA new building, their in it for the money. But the same can sorta of be said about the AAA also money wise.

Yes, bred to a REGISTERED cow or bull - offspring can be registered as a percentage. If you want a registered offspring, why wouldn't a breed association take your money?????? Well, duh - they are all a "for profit" business.



First of all, they're all non-profit clubs. They aren't for profit and most of what they do is counter to making profit for the beef sector.

Secondly, I could record my entire herd with ASA and get EPDs or with AAA and get ratios.
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: White on Angus

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:11 pm

So what is your point. Recording your herd has nothing to do with REGISTERING your cattle. Where are you going with this? I don't understand what you are trying to convey to us????
They are a not-for-profit organization. Our state associations are a not-for-profit associations also. I mis-quoted on that.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: White on Angus

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:17 pm

And registering a "foundation" bull or cow is different than recording your herd with ASA. You pay $25 to add the bull or cow of another breed association to be a "foundation" animal. That way the genetics listed on their offsprings' registration papers will list the actual dam or sire with it's registration number from the other breed. It just verifies the offsprings pedigree. If the sire or dam of another breed is used and is not registered as a "foundation" animal, the papers will simply state the breed - Angus dam - or Angus sire - or Charolais dam, etc.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

VirginiaCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Southwestern Virginia

Re: White on Angus

Postby VirginiaCattle » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:41 pm

The whole point is that I don't care about white but if I wanted a paper to validate the calf I could get it.

The whole premise that a paper makes a cow worth more is going to quickly evaporate with technology.
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: White on Angus

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:10 am

No, recording an animal will not give you a registration paper. You can get a printout report showing EPD's on your herd - in the Simmental breed - unaware of what you can get in Angus.
In order for this world to have "breeds" of any species, there will need to be registered seed stock producers. Without PB cattle, hybrid vigor would be lost.

It is important for "word of mouth" or a forum like this to recognize bulls that are producing a trait that is NOT normal for their breed. If one person (or a few persons) with commercial cows are having a problem, it doesn't really mean anything, but if multiple herds, including PB cows, then everyone should be made aware of the problem. Too much white on the bellie may not bother you, but if you had registered cattle, you would not be able to register the offspring in an Angus herd.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY

Re: White on Angus

Postby Ky hills » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:52 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:No, recording an animal will not give you a registration paper. You can get a printout report showing EPD's on your herd - in the Simmental breed - unaware of what you can get in Angus.
In order for this world to have "breeds" of any species, there will need to be registered seed stock producers. Without PB cattle, hybrid vigor would be lost.

It is important for "word of mouth" or a forum like this to recognize bulls that are producing a trait that is NOT normal for their breed. If one person (or a few persons) with commercial cows are having a problem, it doesn't really mean anything, but if multiple herds, including PB cows, then everyone should be made aware of the problem. Too much white on the bellie may not bother you, but if you had registered cattle, you would not be able to register the offspring in an Angus herd.


I agree with your statement that if one or a few commercial herds are having an issue with excess white then it probably isn't much of a big deal unless it's your herd and it is causing a dock. It gets much more serious when it's conditions like AM, NH, or DD. Those can potentially have a more substantial impact on a commercial herd than a lot registered folks realize. Be it actually expressed in birth of dead or deformed calves, or more commonly undetected as merely an open cow due to fetal abortion. I have heard some registered breeders saying that the carrier status cows can just be sold as commercial then most of the time they don't know of the status and may have a carrier bull then they inherit the problem. Granted the known defects are eventually dealt with.I do think that reports of issues should be taken seriously even from commercial herds as they are the beneficiaries of the registered cattle traits both good and negative.
4 x

User avatar
Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 779
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:16 pm
Location: Florida ( North South Central)

Re: White on Angus

Postby Gators Rule » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:10 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:So what is your point. Recording your herd has nothing to do with REGISTERING your cattle. Where are you going with this? I don't understand what you are trying to convey to us????
They are a not-for-profit organization. Our state associations are a not-for-profit associations also. I mis-quoted on that.


However, just because a breed association is filed as a “not for profit” that doesn’t mean they don’t focus on turning a profit. Not for profit groups love to profit.
0 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: White on Angus

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:20 pm

I already did admit I was all wrong on that comment. They are all a "for profit" organization.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."


Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests