When to Lute heifer

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

When to Lute heifer

Postby MRRherefords » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:16 pm

We recently bought a 15 month old heifer. She was exposed to a bull, but we do not know if she is bred. We would like to Lute her just to clear her and eventually AI her. We would protocol her using the 7 day Cidr protocol with GNrH and Lutalyse. My question is would it clear her when we do the protocol or would that mess up the timing? Should I Lute her now instead?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: When to Lute heifer

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:22 pm

Give her Lutalyse prior to entering the protocol. If she is pregnant and then aborts, your should allow about 20 days for the cervix and uterus to return to normal.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Give her Lutalyse prior to entering the protocol. If she is pregnant and then aborts, your should allow about 20 days for the cervix and uterus to return to normal.

Thanks Ron. How much Lute should we give?
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:22 pm

See is she's bred and leave her alone if she is.

Most people are outraged about abortion in humans, but have no problem knocking one out of a cow just because they feel like it.
0 x

alpine740
Beginner
Beginner

Postby alpine740 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:41 pm

Take a blood sample and send in to a Biopryn lab. Will test positive if bred more than 28 days. You can go from there.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:57 pm

MRRherefords wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:Give her Lutalyse prior to entering the protocol. If she is pregnant and then aborts, your should allow about 20 days for the cervix and uterus to return to normal.

Thanks Ron. How much Lute should we give?

5 mL. Intramuscular.
1 x
Diogenes.

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:57 pm

The bull she was with was a poor excuse for a bull. Would hate to see what that calf would look like, but will check and hopefully she is not pregnant.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:00 pm

MRRherefords wrote:The bull she was with was a poor excuse for a bull. Would hate to see what that calf would look like, but will check and hopefully she is not pregnant.

Do you have information on when and how long she was with a bull/bulls?
0 x
Diogenes.

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:45 pm

About two month. I personally do not believe that she was bred as the bull was very big and she is not and there was really no evidence. But a little nervous as I know stranger things have happened. Will find out for sure. She is in poor condition and may not have cycled yet as the folks we bought her from are not good cattle people.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:25 pm

MRRherefords wrote:About two month. I personally do not believe that she was bred as the bull was very big and she is not and there was really no evidence. But a little nervous as I know stranger things have happened. Will find out for sure. She is in poor condition and may not have cycled yet as the folks we bought her from are not good cattle people.

Some awful big bulls have bred some very small heifers. You should assume if she cycled, he may have bred her.

I assume he was with her during the time from her 13 th month to her 15 th month. If you don't like how she is bred, I would just Lutalyse her. The fetus is only 2 months old or less. You could get her into condition and then breed her how you want.
2 x
Diogenes.

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:28 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
MRRherefords wrote:About two month. I personally do not believe that she was bred as the bull was very big and she is not and there was really no evidence. But a little nervous as I know stranger things have happened. Will find out for sure. She is in poor condition and may not have cycled yet as the folks we bought her from are not good cattle people.

Some awful big bulls have bred some very small heifers. You should assume if she cycled, he may have bred her.

I assume he was with her during the time from her 13 th month to her 15 th month. If you don't like how she is bred, I would just Lutalyse her. The fetus is only 2 months old or less. You could get her into condition and then breed her how you want.

Thanks Ron. That's the plan.
0 x

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Katpau » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:46 pm

At 15 months of age and with a bull for two months I would be greatly surprised if even a heifer in poor condition were not pregnant. Of course if her condition is really that bad you may also have trouble getting her to breed. I once had a barely 13 month old heifer give birth to a full term calf. She would have just turned 4 months old when bred and the only bull around weighed 2300 pounds, so a big bull and a small heifer won't stop one from getting pregnant if she is cycling. I would definitely lute her. I assume any pregnancy would be less than 4 months along? At 120 days gestation, progesterone is made by the placenta, so a shot of prostaglandin like Lutalayse will usually no longer terminate a pregnancy.
1 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:29 am

Ya'll are just a bunch of abortionists. I guess abortions have become so common in our culture no one thinks twice.

It would have to be an awfully special heifer for me to bother aborting it and obviously she isn't, as you bought her
as exposed to the bull. Micro management. It's not like she can't have more calves after you find out how good she
might be after a calf or two and then you can go crazy collecting all the embryos you want.

Poor condition heifer from pizz poor herd = ya got her cheap
IF open do what you want. IF pg calve her out, sell the calf and do what you want the next go round.
Wouldn't be the 1st time I'm wrong, but seems to me micro managing a questionable heifer could result in losing
3-4 months and odds on possible gain isn't really worth the time lost.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:46 am

I agree with Butch.

Ken
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:29 am

People have this weird notion when a 4 or 5mo calf gets bred that it was just her calf brother that bred her... When have you ever seen a bull let another male around a cycling female. So yes, big bulls breed small calves.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”