hip locked

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: hip locked

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:31 am

Nite Hawk wrote:In the right circumstances pushing a calf back in is a good idea if it can be done. Have done similar with lambs, but never thought of it with cows, but it is something to think about, but the size might be an issue especially when the cow is trying to push it out..

Not that hard to do, True Grit's plunger is a good idea. Back in the 70's when I first started practice I worked in an old run down Vet practice that used to be quite a busy dairy practice back in the day, the good thing was in the junk pile under the house it had a lot of interesting old equiptment and there was no shortage of calving gear. One piece I used a lot was a Coombs crutch, just a stainless steel rod with handle and a U shape at the other end, it was great for repelling the calf and as well as an offending bent limb can be much more easily reached and straightened also the leg usually pops up closer. You don't lose ground by pushing them back in.

I was never in a busy cow practice so my experience is limited but one that I have experienced thinking it was hiplocked that wouldn't shift was a calf with one back leg forward, trying to go through the pelvis at the same time as the hips. It is a difficult one to know that it is happening.

Ken
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:58 am

Put BOTH of your arms in & push. That's almost the only way you can correct a leg back or head back, but you need to crawl right in to get er done.
2 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Nite Hawk
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nite Hawk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:50 am

Once we got the calfs body parallel with the ground and not dropped down towards the ground in an arch and then with a good pull she came out, so I am thinking that the lifting of the calf jiggled the hips somehow so they could come out..
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:13 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Put BOTH of your arms in & push. That's almost the only way you can correct a leg back or head back, but you need to crawl right in to get er done.

I have a very old vet book, and it shows the procedure with a "cutaway" view of the cow.. guy is there up to his elbow and can reach the malpositioned leg.
I'm 6', up to my shoulder, and can *nearly* get it
3 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”