Breeding Advice

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Breeding Advice

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:38 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:We are talking to ourselves. OP has not come back - or has not responded.

Been doing that for years.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:31 am

Silver wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
MtnCows93 wrote:unless that heifer is unusually small any bull you choose should be fine

Wrong answer, that's why there's EPD's in each breed.

I've never even looked at an EPD :dunce:

Same here. I use actuals and only keep the papers with the inflated numbers if I feel mother nature might call and I'll need to stop by the road on the way home.
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:36 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Silver wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Wrong answer, that's why there's EPD's in each breed.

I've never even looked at an EPD :dunce:

You guy's definitely do it different than us in the south. I was gone for 5 days a few weeks ago and found 2 dead calves when i got home. I just got home yesterday and found 3 new borns. I need bulls with good calving EPD's.
I just put the EPD calving thing out there because there's folks that read things and think it's gospel.

TG I agree that the BW and CE of a potential sire needs to be considered. I have seen a few wrecks when following the numbers. I have had less when using actual BW and the way a bull is built and how his calves are built when born. We used a bull that even the breeder said wasn't a heifer bull for 4 years and never pulled a calf sired by him. I still feel if a person has the experience the using actual weights along with visual of the bull and considering the type of calves his sire sires works well. For those with less experience then numbers are better than using nothing.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”