Threshold Year

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Threshold Year

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:31 am

Every year when fall calving rolls around, I anxiously watch to see if one of my "hippos" is going to have a calving problem. So far, so good. This might be a Threshold Year. Our August pastures look like May! Lots of clover. Usually, pasture here winds down starting the middle of July. This year it has ramped up. That means my hippos have had lush pasture during the last trimester.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Threshold Year

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:15 am

Hippos beget baby hippos.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:07 pm

Helluva problem you have there
2 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:29 pm

5S Cattle wrote:Helluva problem you have there

Better than being too thin but it is an issue. Everyone who visits asks me if I have calving problems. So far, no.
0 x
Diogenes.

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:30 pm

I am glad someone has grass, we're struggling and juggling , had a calf missing this evening , finally found the little huzzy, momma bawling her head off, curled up in a ball, after 2hours searching on foot , after driving 500 miles today. Alls well that ends well .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:39 pm

snoopdog wrote:I am glad someone has grass, we're struggling and juggling , had a calf missing this evening , finally found the little huzzy, momma bawling her head off, curled up in a ball, after 2hours searching on foot , after driving 500 miles today. Alls well that ends well .

Lots of the country is suffering from drought. The heartland is suffering. Missouri is real bad. Suppose to be some rain moving into that region. Be nice.
0 x
Diogenes.

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:32 pm

snoopdog wrote:I am glad someone has grass, we're struggling and juggling , had a calf missing this evening , finally found the little huzzy, momma bawling her head off, curled up in a ball, after 2hours searching on foot , after driving 500 miles today. Alls well that ends well .

We had our first fall calf two days ago. Saw him up eating. About an hour later, I see buzzards towards the lot so I go check on the falls. No calf and mom is bawling, pacing the fence. I got into the lot and she’s right up on me like she was asking for my help. Couldn’t find her calf. Checking fence. Walking thru the trees on other side. Nothing.

I called my husband and said “I think he got pulled off by something!” And I could tell he was shaking his head, even though we’re talking over the phone. He told me the calf was likely on other side, hunkered down and he’d come back when he was ready. 3 trips I took yesterday, looking for that darn calf. 3rd time was the charm. Up there with mom. Little turd.

I’ve dubbed him Houdini.
4 x

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Gators Rule » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Whew!!
0 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

Bovine breeder
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bovine breeder » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:31 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Every year when fall calving rolls around, I anxiously watch to see if one of my "hippos" is going to have a calving problem. So far, so good. This might be a Threshold Year. Our August pastures look like May! Lots of clover. Usually, pasture here winds down starting the middle of July. This year it has ramped up. That means my hippos have had lush pasture during the last trimester.

How was your summer grass last year?This August looks a lot like last years did for me in my corner or Northern Kentucky. Both Excellent grass years
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:49 pm

Bovine breeder wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:Every year when fall calving rolls around, I anxiously watch to see if one of my "hippos" is going to have a calving problem. So far, so good. This might be a Threshold Year. Our August pastures look like May! Lots of clover. Usually, pasture here winds down starting the middle of July. This year it has ramped up. That means my hippos have had lush pasture during the last trimester.

How was your summer grass last year?This August looks a lot like last years did for me in my corner or Northern Kentucky. Both Excellent grass years

Yes. Both excellent grass years but this year is extraordinary. What county are you in up there and what town are you near? You cannot be very far from me.
0 x
Diogenes.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:19 pm

Your game talking about it Ron. I would keep quite and hope that my good run continues and I hope it does for you.

Ken
2 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:28 am

High protein has been proven to add a possible 10# to BW, but "generally" does not affect CE. Obese cows, on the other hand, can cause CE. I don't think your cows are obese.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:45 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:High protein has been proven to add a possible 10# to BW, but "generally" does not affect CE. Obese cows, on the other hand, can cause CE. I don't think your cows are obese.

Jeanne, right now some are. I will be glad when some are past this calving season.
1 x
Diogenes.

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”