Working a Crippled Bull ?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Working a Crippled Bull ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:13 am

Got a crippled bull again this year. Mine do not last 6 to 8 years like some folks... He is in pretty rough shape - - bruise on the ribs, bad hip, and pees side ways. :( Tried to walk him home but it was a no go, so hauled him a little hay and oats. Will try to pasture load him into a trailer tomorrow. Any tips on how to load a 3 legged tonner bull?
Last edited by Stocker Steve on Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Stocker Steve

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Working a Crippled Bull ?

Postby 76 Bar » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:56 am

Been there done that and no joy. Try leaving a tub of water & feed far enough inside to entice him to enter the trailer. Patience is a virtue as usual. Good luck.
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:07 pm

I'd try using a tractor bucket to dig two small trenches so the back end of the trailer rests on the ground when the tires go into said trenches.. it'll make the trailer feel solid for him and be as low as possible.

Was he injured in a fight?
3 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:56 pm

We usually run two bulls to a breeding pasture. Unless one is a yearling - - we often end up with an injured bull about 3 to 4 weeks into the breeding season. :?: I shipped my aggressive bull, but these two (a 2 year old and a 7 year old) must have still gotten into it... I thought these were far enough apart in size to get along but I was wrong.

I think I will have to try rotating bulls in the future.
2 x
Stocker Steve

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:10 pm

Depends on how tame he his. Like Nesi said getting the trailer down low and stable will help. If he’s not too rowdy you could have some portable panels attached to one side of the trailer. Feed him at the back and then drag the panels around behind him and back to the other side of the trailer. Of course he could tear them apart fairly easily but if he’s relatively calm and cooperative it will help confine him.

Other option would be to get a rope around his neck ran up through and then out the side of the trailer. Keep tension on it and push him in the trailer with a horse, tractor, old truck, hotshot or whatever you’ve got. May get kinda rough.

Hopefully he will just load up on his own.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:13 pm

2 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:25 pm

Nesikep wrote:I'd try using a tractor bucket to dig two small trenches so the back end of the trailer rests on the ground when the tires go into said trenches...

This is what I have done, just outside of the gate to my hog chute. I start feeding them on the trailer a week or so prior to having to haul them. I park the trailer at the opened gate, butted up against the posts, with tires in the trenches, the hogs can just walk right in. It works very well. We also have out cattle loading area set up in such a way that the trailer isn't quite a big step up.
1 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:35 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:This is what I have done, just outside of the gate to my hog chute. I start feeding them on the trailer a week or so prior to having to haul them. I park the trailer at the opened gate, butted up against the posts, with tires in the trenches, the hogs can just walk right in. It works very well. We also have out cattle loading area set up in such a way that the trailer isn't quite a big step up.

No working pens in my heifer pasture and that's what I do when they need transporting. Doesn't take them long to be completely broke to the trailer.
1 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:59 pm

Nesikep wrote:Image

Call the ambulance. We had one with her head stuck and me dumb me went to help and got slice enough so when her head slipped out the gate launched and knocked me out for a few seconds... Then I had to try scramble away from an aggressive cow while trying to not fall over lol.. Fun times working cattle at the neighbors
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:08 pm

Digging holes for the trailer wheels was a huge hit! The bull limped over and helped dig. Had to push him out of the way when I backed the trailer in. Unfortunately he decided not to load... Would have worked if I had set up a couple panels. I left the trailer there with the grain in it. Tomorrow is another day.
1 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”