Pregnant beef heifer - milk leakage?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
lms0229
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Pregnant beef heifer - milk leakage?

Postby lms0229 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:51 pm

Yeah eventually I will end up culling her from the herd. I will make sure to breed her only to sires with amazing udders and use larger sires on her the older she gets, so that the larger birthweight calves will hopefully have an easier time with her teats. The good news is they have gotten a little smaller in the last few days with the heifer calf nursing more and more, but something I am definitely keeping an eye on.

How old is your cow now? At what age do you plan to cull her? How are her female offspring looking udder wise?
0 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:11 pm

lms0229 wrote:Yeah eventually I will end up culling her from the herd. I will make sure to breed her only to sires with amazing udders and use larger sires on her the older she gets, so that the larger birthweight calves will hopefully have an easier time with her teats. The good news is they have gotten a little smaller in the last few days with the heifer calf nursing more and more, but something I am definitely keeping an eye on.

How old is your cow now? At what age do you plan to cull her? How are her female offspring looking udder wise?

Yes, big teats might be a problem at first, later it just don't get to be full, so not a problem then. Yep, I like that those not pretty ones had bigger calves too. It's quite a funny view to watch a tiny calf trying to deal with a teat almost the size of his head... :roll:
Mine is still a young one too- had her second calf this July. No idea about her daughters and it'll take some time until I'll know. Her first calf was bull and the second is a heifer, so only 1+months old now. Plan about keeping her and if everything goes well will replace her dam with her. The cow will stay here for a couple years maybe. I wait until that moment when the calf will have trouble with her udder. It might happen next year or even never. Had several cows with much worse udders and they still did well,so who knows. Otherwise, she's the only daughter left from her dam, which was a great cow, so trying to cope with some her flaws for now.
0 x

lms0229
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby lms0229 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:26 am

0 x

lms0229
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby lms0229 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:27 am

Wanted to post an update of this little girl at a little under a month old in this picture. She is filling out nicely!
0 x

lms0229
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby lms0229 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:32 am

She is starting to try and eat grass! So she has this weird look on her face in the picture but it shows her form well.
2 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:09 am

She looks pretty!
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”