2018 Fifth Calf - Cowboy - YIKES

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: 2018 Fifth Calf - Cowboy - YIKES

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:54 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
The profit potential has been captured. It will be converted to cash when I sell the farm and disperse the herd. My farm was undeveloped and neglected when I bought it. I purchased a 2005 Cat D3G LGP dozer, gave the farm a face lift, and sold it for $500 less than I paid after putting 1600 hours on it. Best capital purchase I have made in the entire enterprise. I have invested in fences, buildings and facilities. I had the farm appraised last year. It has tripled in value. I have grown the herd. There is value on the hoof that can be converted to cash at dispersal assuming there is not a catastrophic loss of some kind.

Annual profits are impossible because of the amount of investment I can depreciate on an annual basis. But in the end, the IRS is going to get a nice capital income tax windfall.

We're talking about two totally different things, I'm talking cows your talking investments. The top line of all your cattle look great. You've post a couple of pictures of udders "bottom line" that didn't look good to me through the years.

I’m curious what you find wrong with this cows bottom line?

I would say the udder on that cow looks better than 90% of the cows in my area.

I realize there is room for improvement in pretty much any of them but I see no real problem here.

There's nothing at all wrong with that cows udder, but through the years Ron's had a few udder issues. IMO
A milk cow udder isn't needed or desired on a beef cow. Big udder equals a harder doing cow, it takes a lot of protein and energy to create milk.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:06 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
kentuckyguy wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:We're talking about two totally different things, I'm talking cows your talking investments. The top line of all your cattle look great. You've post a couple of pictures of udders "bottom line" that didn't look good to me through the years.

I realize there is room for improvement in pretty much any of them but I see no real problem here.

There's nothing at all wrong with that cows udder, but through the years Ron's had a few udder issues. IMO
A milk cow udder isn't needed or desired on a beef cow. Big udder equals a harder doing cow, it takes a lot of protein and energy to create milk.

I have too much milk in my herd. Lots of Simmental breeders that I exchange information with Express the same issue. Some Angus breeders have the opposite problem - not enough milk and their calves don't have good weaning weights without feeding.

The cow in this picture is fine. I do have some that produce too much milk. The problem is compounded by having very good forage and a climate with reliable precipitation.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:34 pm

Keep the calf threads coming! I enjoy seeing your cattle.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:08 pm

bird dog wrote:So what is that on those blocks, Your scales?

Bathroom scales. I built a platform that supports the scales on uneven and soft ground.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:22 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
kentuckyguy wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:We're talking about two totally different things, I'm talking cows your talking investments. The top line of all your cattle look great. You've post a couple of pictures of udders "bottom line" that didn't look good to me through the years.

If I looked at the udders of the cows in my area I'd never have a reason to improve them

Udder size has little to do with milking ability.. I had a couple cows that as 4 year olds going through the winter you couldn't even see their teats, but they raised some of the best calves.. I big udder can STORE more milk though.. What I consider about perfect for a beef cow is the udder at the same level as the navel with cylindrical teats the size of my thumb.
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:23 pm

Nesikep wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
kentuckyguy wrote:

If I looked at the udders of the cows in my area I'd never have a reason to improve them

Udder size has little to do with milking ability.. I had a couple cows that as 4 year olds going through the winter you couldn't even see their teats, but they raised some of the best calves.. I big udder can STORE more milk though.. What I consider about perfect for a beef cow is the udder at the same level as the navel with cylindrical teats the size of my thumb.

BS, a diary cows game is to produce milk, and without the ability to milk they'd be useless. You posted a picture of a Hereford looking cow with a nice udder for a beef cow.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:39 pm

If you want to take it to that extreme and talk about dairy cows, OK, but they also need that big a bag to store the milk between milkings or they'd never get off the milk parlor

If we're talking about beef cows though, a big bagged hereford doesn't necessarily make more milk than another modestly endowed cow.
The Herf looking cow is probably Rosie (Herf x Saler) and was pictured at 16 years old, her daughter was shorthorn sired.. She had what I consider the perfect udder..Part of the reason I kept a bull calf from her.. Until she was about 6 years old, when she wasn't milking she looked like a heifer yet her calves were above average in weaning weight and she kept condition well.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
bird dog wrote:So what is that on those blocks, Your scales?

Bathroom scales. I built a platform that supports the scales on uneven and soft ground.

If your bathroom scales are like the ones in my bathroom, they are off 10lbs. At least that is what my Dr. tells me every time I go for a checkup! :roll:
1 x

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby WinterSpringsFarm » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:43 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Nesikep wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:There's nothing at all wrong with that cows udder, but through the years Ron's had a few udder issues. IMO

BS, a diary cows game is to produce milk, and without the ability to milk they'd be useless. You posted a picture of a Hereford looking cow with a nice udder for a beef cow.

Guess what! Dairy cattle with big udders don't always milk well either. Sometimes the big udders are meaty and don't store much milk. Sometimes young cows with small, soft pliable udders milk terrific. Milked cattle into my 20s, seen a lot of different udders and the results.
2 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”