Grazing question...

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Grazing question...

Postby Coosh71 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:24 am

I was reading BR's topic on Threshold Year, and a question hit me that I'd like some of y'all's input on. I use rotational grazing In the summer time, and am a firm believer in it. So currently I have a group of heavy heavy fall cows running in a sub irrigated pasture of thick, lush Bermuda (fat as ticks). Should start to calve in a week. Would it be more beneficial to keep them where they are or move a group of spring cows with their calves down on this grass (will wean in 30 days). Our other pastures are holding up pretty well basically Bluestem sideoats, etc (not subirrigated). Thanks! Hope we can all get some rain this week.
0 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Re: Grazing question...

Postby bird dog » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:49 am

If your bred cows seem to be getting to big, then I would move them off and leave the calves and their dams on the pasture until weaning time. It sounds like your bred cows are in good enough shape and getting them bigger is not helping out in any way. Besides a fresh clean pasture to calve in is always better.

I continue my rotation year round even in the dead of winter to distribute the manure and since I roll out hay, each pasture gets a few added nutrients. That may not work where you are at if your climate doesn't allow it.
1 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:19 am

Thanks BD. They are as big as I like to see them for sure. I live in the Texas Panhandle and we do rotate some in the winter on and off some hay grazer we plant. I appreciate your input. Makes sense.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:44 pm

I agree , let the bigger calves use it and pack the pounds on, more beneficial in every way .
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”