2018 Sixth Calf - W/C Lock N Load

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7253
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

2018 Sixth Calf - W/C Lock N Load

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:15 am

Every calf has been early this fall.  This one is a week early. Star delivered down in the holler. I prefer to get them up and in the holding pen that adjoins the handling facility. Anywhere away from the headquarters is subject to predation from Black Vultures.

Dam: Star Baby.  My first home grown cow.  8 years old.  She breeds back, has a good udder, excellent feet, and stays in condition.

Sire: W/C lock n load 1143Y
Due: 09/11/2018
DOB: 9/4/2018
Gestation: 278 days
Weight: 83 pounds.   She has never had a calf over 74 pounds.   Also, never has much white on her calves.

Image

Image
5 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7253
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: 2018 Sixth Calf - W/C Lock N Load

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:37 am

Gestation and BW numbers:
1. Broadway Heifer: 279, 97 lbs.
2. W/C Lock N Load 1143Y Bull: 279, 78 lbs.
3. Cowboy Cut Heifer: 277, 70 lbs
4. HPF Optimizer Bull: 280, 88 lbs.
5. Cowboy Cut Bull: 282, 94 lbs.
6. W/C Lock N Load 1143Y Bull: 278, 82 lbs.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7429
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: 2018 Sixth Calf - W/C Lock N Load

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:52 am

The calf is going to be tender footed. Nature has a way of dealing with things, birth weight up, gestation shorter. Evolution happens within 9 months?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7253
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: 2018 Sixth Calf - W/C Lock N Load

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:23 am

True Grit Farms wrote:The calf is going to be tender footed. Nature has a way of dealing with things, birth weight up, gestation shorter. Evolution happens within 9 months?


Evolution is a continuous process. Monumental changes can occur in an instant with one realignment of a chemical bond between the atoms in a gene.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3927
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: 2018 Sixth Calf - W/C Lock N Load

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:02 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:The calf is going to be tender footed. Nature has a way of dealing with things, birth weight up, gestation shorter. Evolution happens within 9 months?


Evolution is a continuous process. Monumental changes can occur in an instant with one realignment of a chemical bond between the atoms in a gene.


You have an eloquent way of saying things Ron.

Ken
1 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7253
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: 2018 Sixth Calf - W/C Lock N Load

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:06 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:The calf is going to be tender footed. Nature has a way of dealing with things, birth weight up, gestation shorter. Evolution happens within 9 months?


Evolution is a continuous process. Monumental changes can occur in an instant with one realignment of a chemical bond between the atoms in a gene.


You have an eloquent way of saying things Ron.

Ken


Thank you Ken. That is a worthy comment. I appreciate that. You have the trained mind to grasp the simplicity yet huge significance of that simple composition.
3 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 am

Re: 2018 Sixth Calf - W/C Lock N Load

Postby kentuckyguy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:30 pm

I’m starting to think the good pastures from all the rain this summer is contributing to calf size.

The first 2 calves we have on the ground are bigger than normal. Had a heifer calf hit the ground a few days ago that was definitely pushing 100lbs.
1 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7253
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: 2018 Sixth Calf - W/C Lock N Load

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:36 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:I’m starting to think the good pastures from all the rain this summer is contributing to calf size.

The first 2 calves we have on the ground are bigger than normal. Had a heifer calf hit the ground a few days ago that was definitely pushing 100lbs.


It has to be a factor. My birthweights have been slowly going down the last 2 years. So far this year, the average is going back up. The pastures are absolutely amazing. Nutrition during the last trimester is definitely a big factor.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7429
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: 2018 Sixth Calf - W/C Lock N Load

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:29 am

Bright Raven wrote:
kentuckyguy wrote:I’m starting to think the good pastures from all the rain this summer is contributing to calf size.

The first 2 calves we have on the ground are bigger than normal. Had a heifer calf hit the ground a few days ago that was definitely pushing 100lbs.


It has to be a factor. My birthweights have been slowly going down the last 2 years. So far this year, the average is going back up. The pastures are absolutely amazing. Nutrition during the last trimester is definitely a big factor.

I'm surprised that nutrition can affect calf size in such a short amount of time. I kinda sorta agree but have not seen that in my operation. Some of the really thin trader cows I buy take a year to look like the rest of my herd. Growing a fetus is a time consuming process.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1163
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:43 pm
Location: Europe, Lithuania, Utena region

Re: 2018 Sixth Calf - W/C Lock N Load

Postby lithuanian farmer » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:45 am

What a beauty!
I've noticed that at least in our herd the birth weights changes each season. In winter- spring we have much bigger calves, while in summer, end of spring and especially around August-September they get smaller. There appears one or two bigger calves in summer, but nothing too extreme. In November their size increases again. If look at their feed at that time it should be the opposite. I did have heard from one of my friends that the first trimester also plays a huge role in the future newborn calf's size, as he had a group of heifers fed pretty well abit after they got incalf and he had some big calves from that group. I'm not sure if that's also important. Will be able to tell next spring... Our AI'ed heifers are on meal now and will be until winter, so will see how big their calves will be next year.
0 x

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 am

Re: 2018 Sixth Calf - W/C Lock N Load

Postby kentuckyguy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:01 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
kentuckyguy wrote:I’m starting to think the good pastures from all the rain this summer is contributing to calf size.

The first 2 calves we have on the ground are bigger than normal. Had a heifer calf hit the ground a few days ago that was definitely pushing 100lbs.


It has to be a factor. My birthweights have been slowly going down the last 2 years. So far this year, the average is going back up. The pastures are absolutely amazing. Nutrition during the last trimester is definitely a big factor.

I'm surprised that nutrition can affect calf size in such a short amount of time. I kinda sorta agree but have not seen that in my operation. Some of the really thin trader cows I buy take a year to look like the rest of my herd. Growing a fetus is a time consuming process.



I’m not saying that’s what’s causing it just trying to consider any changes in our operation.

This is the third round of calves we are having out of a stonegate angus bull so we have a pretty good idea about what to expect. Same cows and same bull shouldn’t be much change.

The only thing I can think of that’s changed is we fed hay and grain longer during the early spring due to weather. Also the pastures have stayed green and lush pretty much all summer. Usually during July and August they get a little rough but not this year.
0 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7429
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: 2018 Sixth Calf - W/C Lock N Load

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:32 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
It has to be a factor. My birthweights have been slowly going down the last 2 years. So far this year, the average is going back up. The pastures are absolutely amazing. Nutrition during the last trimester is definitely a big factor.

I'm surprised that nutrition can affect calf size in such a short amount of time. I kinda sorta agree but have not seen that in my operation. Some of the really thin trader cows I buy take a year to look like the rest of my herd. Growing a fetus is a time consuming process.



I’m not saying that’s what’s causing it just trying to consider any changes in our operation.

This is the third round of calves we are having out of a stonegate angus bull so we have a pretty good idea about what to expect. Same cows and same bull shouldn’t be much change.

The only thing I can think of that’s changed is we fed hay and grain longer during the early spring due to weather. Also the pastures have stayed green and lush pretty much all summer. Usually during July and August they get a little rough but not this year.

We sold cows the first week of May because we had no hay or grass left. Since then the grass has been growing like never before. Cut more hay in 2 cuttings then we usually cut in 3. We haven't noticed a increase in birthweights to the eye, but I have to believe it happens. I do know that spring calves are larger than fall calves, but our fall calves will wean at a higher weight.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9173
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: 2018 Sixth Calf - W/C Lock N Load

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:05 pm

Back to research - shows the last trimester the calf grows the most and is affected by nutrition more than any other time of gestation. High PROTEIN last trimester tends to go to the calf. But, also according to research, the added weight of the calf due to NUTRITION, rarely causes higher dystocia - but is extremely good for the cow. At most, researchers put an extra 10 pounds on a calf thru nutritional research.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."


Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NonTypicalCPA and 5 guests