2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7302
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:42 am

Ken: I put my back brace on for this one. Wasn't as bad as I thought. Took my time getting a good hold on her. Calf was standing waiting for me this morning. All quarters nursed. I separated mom, administered Inforce 3, weighed, and sprayed navel with iodine. I am out of First Defense. I took the picture after I turned her back to her calf.

Price is my biggest cow. A HPRP Cow sired by Shocking Dream. Probably 1650. She was born 2009. So almost 10 years old. She is so easy to AI and stick, all you have to do is wave the straw over her back. She is a hippo. You could put 5 calves on her and they would not pull her down. Excellent feet. Udder is deteriorating. Her calves are always a 100 pounds.

Dam: Price
Sire: Broadway
Due: 9/9/2018
DOB: 9/5/2018
Gestation 281 days
BW: 112 pounds, Heifer.
Image
Last edited by Bright Raven on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7302
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: 2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:47 am

Gestation and BW numbers:
1. Broadway Heifer: 279, 97 lbs.
2. W/C Lock N Load 1143Y Bull: 279, 78 lbs.
3. Cowboy Cut Heifer: 277, 70 lbs
4. HPF Optimizer Bull: 280, 88 lbs.
5. Cowboy Cut Bull: 282, 94 lbs.
6. W/C Lock N Load 1143Y Bull: 278, 82 lbs.
7. Broadway heifer: 281, 112 pounds.
Last edited by Bright Raven on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7447
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: 2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:53 am

Any white on the calf? The frame race is on.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7302
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: 2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:57 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Any white on the calf? The frame race is on.


Absolutely ZERO white. This cow has never put a white hair on any of her calves.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7302
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: 2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:01 am

My birthweight average for the year just went up to 88.7.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7447
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: 2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:06 am

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Any white on the calf? The frame race is on.


Absolutely ZERO white. This cow has never put a white hair on any of her calves.

She's what I'd call homozygous black. That's crazy how things work out. Our best all around cow, a SimAngus finally had another heifer, it's only her second in heifer in 10 calves.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7302
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: 2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:10 am

Here is a picture of the condition this cow carries.
Image
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Lazy M
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1127
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: KY

Re: 2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Postby Lazy M » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:13 am

I try to keep an open mind, but I'd have a real hard time buying a bull that had a 112 lbs act bw. Have you thought of doing genomic testing to see what their ced and bw predictions would be for him?
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7302
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: 2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:20 am

Lazy M wrote:I try to keep an open mind, but I'd have a real hard time buying a bull that had a 112 lbs act bw. Have you thought of doing genomic testing to see what their ced and bw predictions would be for him?


Luke
First. I would not buy a bull throwing Broadway type birthweights. However, I sold a Broadway to a guy who wanted exactly that.

That cow definitely contributes pounds to BW. The fact is, however, she is literally the easiest calving cow I have. I see most of my calves born, she spits 100 pounders out like watermelon seeds.

Regarding the bull, Broadway is earning his reputation here for high birthweights. I got one more Broadway due this fall and I am going to get her up today, just in case she has an issue. I have probably used Broadway for the last time. Remember: I am 100 % AI, so I don't have a Broadway bull here.

I will probably keep this heifer. I can moderate the calf size by breeding her to a CE AI sire.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7447
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: 2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:31 am

Ron, Cowboy Up is having some large BW calves.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7302
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: 2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:38 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Ron, Cowboy Up is having some large BW calves.


Vince,

We all sometimes dismiss the role of the Dam in BW and CE. This cow is a great example. I might try breeding her to Uno Mas or Elevate and see if I can moderate her calf weight.

The reason Kris and I selected Broadway for this cow was because we knew she could handle a 100 pound calf. It was a mistake (but don't tell Kris I said that - she is way more Sensitive than I).
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7447
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: 2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:53 am

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Ron, Cowboy Up is having some large BW calves.


Vince,

We all sometimes dismiss the role of the Dam in BW and CE. This cow is a great example. I might try breeding her to Uno Mas or Elevate and see if I can moderate her calf weight.

The reason Kris and I selected Broadway for this cow was because we knew she could handle a 100 pound calf. It was a mistake (but don't tell Kris I said that - she is way more Sensitive than I).

You have me confused which isn't very hard. I thought you wanted yearlings as big as possible to sell as bulls and heifers? Your target customers aren't buyers that breed for moderate framed animals. I'd be willing to guess that most of the folks that buy stock from you have the same management practices as you do. It's a long ways from the show ring to the sale barn.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7302
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: 2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:34 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Ron, Cowboy Up is having some large BW calves.


Vince,

We all sometimes dismiss the role of the Dam in BW and CE. This cow is a great example. I might try breeding her to Uno Mas or Elevate and see if I can moderate her calf weight.

The reason Kris and I selected Broadway for this cow was because we knew she could handle a 100 pound calf. It was a mistake (but don't tell Kris I said that - she is way more Sensitive than I).

You have me confused which isn't very hard. I thought you wanted yearlings as big as possible to sell as bulls and heifers? Your target customers aren't buyers that breed for moderate framed animals. I'd be willing to guess that most of the folks that buy stock from you have the same management practices as you do. It's a long ways from the show ring to the sale barn.


There is an important upper limit to the birthweight I want. I am getting to the age when lifting 100 pound plus calves is too much.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Lazy M
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1127
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: KY

Re: 2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Postby Lazy M » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:35 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Lazy M wrote:I try to keep an open mind, but I'd have a real hard time buying a bull that had a 112 lbs act bw. Have you thought of doing genomic testing to see what their ced and bw predictions would be for him?


Luke
First. I would not buy a bull throwing Broadway type birthweights. However, I sold a Broadway to a guy who wanted exactly that.

That cow definitely contributes pounds to BW. The fact is, however, she is literally the easiest calving cow I have. I see most of my calves born, she spits 100 pounders out like watermelon seeds.

Regarding the bull, Broadway is earning his reputation here for high birthweights. I got one more Broadway due this fall and I am going to get her up today, just in case she has an issue. I have probably used Broadway for the last time. Remember: I am 100 % AI, so I don't have a Broadway bull here.

I will probably keep this heifer. I can moderate the calf size by breeding her to a CE AI sire.

I guess I'm confused. Is the new calf a heifer or bull? If heifer, I'd probably keep her too based on the good history from the cow. Or if you don't want her, I'm sure that there's a farm in Richmond that would welcome her.
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7302
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: 2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:16 am

Lazy M wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Lazy M wrote:I try to keep an open mind, but I'd have a real hard time buying a bull that had a 112 lbs act bw. Have you thought of doing genomic testing to see what their ced and bw predictions would be for him?


Luke
First. I would not buy a bull throwing Broadway type birthweights. However, I sold a Broadway to a guy who wanted exactly that.

That cow definitely contributes pounds to BW. The fact is, however, she is literally the easiest calving cow I have. I see most of my calves born, she spits 100 pounders out like watermelon seeds.

Regarding the bull, Broadway is earning his reputation here for high birthweights. I got one more Broadway due this fall and I am going to get her up today, just in case she has an issue. I have probably used Broadway for the last time. Remember: I am 100 % AI, so I don't have a Broadway bull here.

I will probably keep this heifer. I can moderate the calf size by breeding her to a CE AI sire.

I guess I'm confused. Is the new calf a heifer or bull? If heifer, I'd probably keep her too based on the good history from the cow. Or if you don't want her, I'm sure that there's a farm in Richmond that would welcome her.


This calf is a heifer.
Image
Image
Image
Last edited by Bright Raven on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.


Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests