2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Re: 2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:52 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:

Rapid Fire is one I admire, however he is only 50% so will not find as much use. Though he has better calving ease than Cowboy Cut, he does not have the growth.....He also has a lot of milk, and for many breeders that is something they are trying to moderate (because Vince is the first to point out Simmentals produce too much milk and need supplement). With Price's milk, that would be a disaster! Plus, Price is also a half blood, and I think Ron wants to breed up.
https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... er=3041151

FSR where's your limit on the milk epd? A lot of milk definitely requires a lot of protein, and a fairly good balanced diet. As you know better than most Ron has the feed to support dairy cows if he chose.

Depends on the cow. I look at the cow, and the EPD of the cow. If she is already a good milker (most Simms are), then I try to stay below 50% (20). It is not a deal breaker for sure, however I have lots of bull buyers that ask about milk from the females kept sired by my bulls. That number is important.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:53 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:Ron, if you don't like my breeding selections, don't use them. It is merely a suggestion. You are free to mate your cattle the way you want.

What are you referring to?

Bright Raven wrote: The reason Kris and I selected Broadway for this cow was because we knew she could handle a 100 pound calf. It was a mistake (but don't tell Kris I said that - she is way more Sensitive than I).

GEE-WHIZ

That is a bit of an overreaction to saying Broadway was a mistake. You got most of the other choices right. I will confess, I am disappointed that you put those white feet on Star Baby's calf.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:58 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
What are you referring to?

Bright Raven wrote: The reason Kris and I selected Broadway for this cow was because we knew she could handle a 100 pound calf. It was a mistake (but don't tell Kris I said that - she is way more Sensitive than I).

GEE-WHIZ

That is a bit of an overreaction to saying Broadway was a mistake. You got most of the other choices right. I will confess, I am disappointed that you put those white feet on Star Baby's calf.

YOU said Broadway was a mistake, NOT ME

You have yet to pose pictures of that dandy!
WARNING: 1143Y WILL throw lots of white! Proof is in that calf!!!! :lol2: Just wish it was a heifer instead. I have three 1143Y calves coming over the next 4 weeks..... :o
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:03 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:

GEE-WHIZ

YOU said Broadway was a mistake, NOT ME

You have yet to pose pictures of that dandy!
WARNING: 1143Y WILL throw lots of white! Proof is in that calf!!!! :lol2: Just wish it was a heifer instead. I have three 1143Y calves coming over the next 4 weeks..... :o

Nope. Go look at the Sixth Calf thread. I posted pictures. And it is all your fault he has that white where I don't want it.

Here he is:
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”