2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: 2018 Seventh Calf - 112 pounds!

Postby Nesikep » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:25 am

With a few of my cows that throw high BW calves, there's nothing you can do as far as sire selection, they're going to make a big calf regardless.. they'd totally mess up a nice Low BW bull's stats! Somehow those same cows never need any assistance either though (they're all bigger girls)
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:38 am

Nesikep wrote:With a few of my cows that throw high BW calves, there's nothing you can do as far as sire selection, they're going to make a big calf regardless.. they'd totally mess up a nice Low BW bull's stats! Somehow those same cows never need any assistance either though (they're all bigger girls)

Exactly. This cow has a gigantic birthcanal. When you do a lot of AI, you get pretty good at telling the ones that are tight versus the ones with plenty of room. Price has a large birthcanal.

I have had the same thought you expressed. It would really wreck havoc on a bull's CE and BW numbers to breed a bunch of cows like Price to him.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:21 pm

Nesikep wrote:With a few of my cows that throw high BW calves, there's nothing you can do as far as sire selection, they're going to make a big calf regardless.. they'd totally mess up a nice Low BW bull's stats! Somehow those same cows never need any assistance either though (they're all bigger girls)

The CE and BW numbers after about 5 years of history are fairly accurate. There's been a lot of testing done on what your thinking, and every time SS has shown that birthweight can be manipulated by bull choices. Everything works on percentages in the beef business, and the semen companies don't like when accidents like Broadway happen.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:34 pm

True Grit Farms wrote: Everything works on percentages in the beef business, and the semen companies don't like when accidents like Broadway happen.

Then, pray tell me, why do they still promote Broadway? He is still listed in their catalog. They carry his semen for sale right off the truck. I acknowledge they might be disappointed in his CE numbers but not enough to discontinue to package straws of his semen and market them with big flashy pictures.
0 x
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:54 pm

Bright Raven wrote:

Exactly. This cow has a gigantic birthcanal. When you do a lot of AI, you get pretty good at telling the ones that are tight versus the ones with plenty of room. Price has a large birthcanal.

I have had the same thought you expressed. It would really wreck havoc on a bull's CE and BW numbers to breed a bunch of cows like Price to him.

I'd be interested in what the birthweight of a heifer calf using Uno Mas would be. Or for a slim chance for a blazed faced calf why not breed her to Rapid Fire? Rapid Fire isn't proven yet but he's working on being the most CE blazed faced bull available from SS.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:58 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I'd be interested in what the birthweight of a heifer calf using Uno Mas would be. Or for a slim chance for a blazed faced calf why not breed her to Rapid Fire? Rapid Fire isn't proven yet but he's working on being the most CE blazed faced bull available from SS.

Vince. I would not be one bit surprised if Price would produce an Uno Mas of 92 pounds. I think that is her bottom dollar. Lol
0 x
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:05 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote: Everything works on percentages in the beef business, and the semen companies don't like when accidents like Broadway happen.

Then, pray tell me, why do they still promote Broadway? He is still listed in their catalog. They carry his semen for sale right off the truck. I acknowledge they might be disappointed in his CE numbers but not enough to discontinue to package straws of his semen and market them with big flashy pictures.

He's a big bull that throws and produces big calves and large weaning weights. What more could a terminal operation ask for? And if his heifer calves were bred back to Angus bulls I'd expect a moderate to fairly large calf. I see no downfall to using him unless your a seed stock producer.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:22 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Vince. I would not be one bit surprised if Price would produce an Uno Mas of 92 pounds. I think that is her bottom dollar. Lol

I still think she'll raise a whopper of a calf that should sell great for you. I'm telling you big, fat bred heifers sell really good around here. I use to buy them myself 10 years ago. They were definitely the best looking cows that I've owned. But once we quit pretending, managing and babysitting like we were a seedstock producer, most couldn't make it. It almost makes me sick to think I paid from $1,500 to $3,200 for registered bred heifers and sold them as cows for half that.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:39 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I still think she'll raise a whopper of a calf that should sell great for you. I'm telling you big, fat bred heifers sell really good around here. I use to buy them myself 10 years ago. They were definitely the best looking cows that I've owned. But once we quit pretending, managing and babysitting like we were a seedstock producer, most couldn't make it. It almost makes me sick to think I paid from $1,500 to $3,200 for registered bred heifers and sold them as cows for half that.

Vince, you are starting to whine like Backhoeboogie. You may have done a poor job vetting your purchases. My cattle do well even on reclaimed mine lands in Eastern Kentucky. There is a User on here who can attest to that. He has 4 of my cattle. He is satisfied. I will sell anyone what I have. And I will tell them the brutal truth.
0 x
Diogenes.

ringer
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ringer » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:14 pm

Im the user that Ron is talking about and I can vouch for his cattle. The registered cattle that I have run side by side with commercial cattle and are expected to hold their own just the same. Ive been through a lot of cattle in order to find ones that can raise a calf, breed back on time, and hold condition while running on old reclaimed strip mine grass and free choice mineral. The cattle I have purchased from Ron seem to do really well in the conditions I talked about so they will have a home for a long time.

Vince,
What kind of BW issues have you heard about with Cowboy Up?
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:17 pm

ringer wrote:Im the user that Ron is talking about and I can vouch for his cattle. The registered cattle that I have run side by side with commercial cattle and are expected to hold their own just the same. Ive been through a lot of cattle in order to find ones that can raise a calf, breed back on time, and hold condition while running on old reclaimed strip mine grass and free choice mineral. The cattle I have purchased from Ron seem to do really well in the conditions I talked about so they will have a home for a long time.

Vince,
What kind of BW issues have you heard about with Cowboy Up?

No major issues his BW and CE numbers will be tweaked this winter. SS was hoping to push him as a heifer safe bull with lots of growth like his sire.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:45 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I still think she'll raise a whopper of a calf that should sell great for you. I'm telling you big, fat bred heifers sell really good around here. I use to buy them myself 10 years ago. They were definitely the best looking cows that I've owned. But once we quit pretending, managing and babysitting like we were a seedstock producer, most couldn't make it. It almost makes me sick to think I paid from $1,500 to $3,200 for registered bred heifers and sold them as cows for half that.

Vince, you are starting to whine like Backhoeboogie. You may have done a poor job vetting your purchases. My cattle do well even on reclaimed mine lands in Eastern Kentucky. There is a User on here who can attest to that. He has 4 of my cattle. He is satisfied. I will sell anyone what I have. And I will tell them the brutal truth.

I have no reason to whine or make excuses about my cattle. There's over a 100 back in the woods somewhere that I haven't seen for 5 days. My pond is still running out the spillway so I know they have water in the creek. Ron I'm surprised that you haven't lost any big cows that couldn't get up and bloated on a hill or in hole, I have. And AC COWBOY saved one for me that was bloated beyond belief. They eat and then chew their cud laying in the shade when it's a 100+ and start making heat and just bloat. And without help they can't get up. We've probably saved a half dozen maybe more by pulling them up. So far we've never had a smaller thinner cow do that yet.
I've posted this before, if we had someone to care and look after our cows mine would look like yours. I like big fat cows, and I'm not married to them. It's not hard to cut you stocking rate and supplement as needed to attain the BCS that you like or want.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:51 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I have no reason to whine or make excuses about my cattle. There's over a 100 back in the woods somewhere that I haven't seen for 5 days. My pond is still running out the spillway so I know they have water in the creek. Ron I'm surprised that you haven't lost any big cows that couldn't get up and bloated on a hill or in hole, I have. And AC COWBOY saved one for me that was bloated beyond belief. They eat and then chew their cud laying in the shade when it's a 100+ and start making heat and just bloat. And without help they can't get up. We've probably saved a half dozen maybe more by pulling them up. So far we've never had a smaller thinner cow do that yet.
I've posted this before, if we had someone to care and look after our cows mine would look like yours. I like big fat cows, and I'm not married to them. It's not hard to cut you stocking rate and supplement as needed to attain the BCS that you like or want.

Vince. I think the Bovine Gods reward me because they know I love their children.
2 x
Diogenes.

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:25 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Shoot Ron, if you're taking orders, breed me one with Mo Better. Really like the calves from the son that I'm using and would like another..
0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:09 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Here is a picture of the condition this cow carries.

Is it just the angle, or is she short on the front end?
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”