Early Heifer Maturity ?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Early Heifer Maturity ?

Post by Nesikep » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:08 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Nesikep wrote:For me, I've never had a problem with the first timers breeding back.. in fact I found they breed back easier if they're exposed to the bull shortly after calving, I find milking for a long time before exposure runs them down, so breeding them before the rest of the herd might have the opposite effect you'd like, at least it did in my herd.

Sounds like yours have a lot of milk. I see a few like that - - biggest calves but may breed back late. Usually some continental in the mix. Seems like commercial cattlemen are leary about going more than 25% continential.

I probably have a bit better food than central minnesota too.. I find more than 25% british and I have pig-fat cows that don't make much for a calf.

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Early Heifer Maturity ?

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:14 pm

This past spring breeding, we worked our heifers on 1/19 and started breeding them on 3/22
They averaged 780# (birth ranged 1/1 to 3/12), so a couple were 12 months old.
We bred all of them in a 6 day period. We used natural heats if they were due during the time frame, we used Lutalyse if their cycle timing was right, and we used CIDR for the rest. Out of 15 bred, we had to time breed two (1 settled on that breeding, 1 did not). We have 13 of the 15 due in a 6 day period. Extremely happy with the results. Did not start the cow herd until 14 days later because we were gone on vacation between heifer breeding and cow herd.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."