1 out of 7 Heifers Pregnant

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
dhayes105
Beginner
Beginner

Re: 1 out of 7 Heifers Pregnant

Post by dhayes105 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:40 pm

Rookie mistake. Vet said that modified live vaccines would cause a false positive. FALSE ALARM. I'd already drawn up a new business plan...

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:06 pm

dhayes105 wrote:Rookie mistake. Vet said that modified live vaccines would cause a false positive. FALSE ALARM. I'd already drawn up a new business plan...

That is where my line of thinking was going on my last post.
But at the end of the day you still have 6 open heifers, some with obvious issues. Are you going to sell and replace then?

dhayes105
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dhayes105 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:40 pm

Sold the two with obvious issues and replaced with bred heifers. Also sold bull and got a new bull in. Looks like he’s settling the others. Looking up!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:39 pm

Good deal.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Coosh71 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:54 am

ddd75 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:54 am
my bulls don't need anything to get anything bred... if they do. they are for someone else... not me.
Bulls get relatively same program as cows. Good mineral, same vacs and sane feed. We try to look at this as a business. Everyone here has a job. If they won't or can't do it, they get replaced. Your situation is tuff, heck of a loss in time and money. Sorry to hear all of that.

dhayes105
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dhayes105 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:06 am

It's not how you start it's how you finish, and all that. I love this so much I'm not gonna let it get me down.

I did alright, sold the heifers to someone for freezer beef since they were only 2, so didn't have to sell as culls at the sale, and the bull brought good money as well since he was so young and i sold a calf i'd been feeding. I got my money together right in time for a bull sale at a local forage based seedstock operation and left with two bred heifers (paid for with sold cows) and a new bull (some was covered but most out of pocket) with a great $EN and decent everything else. My dad owns half our cows and he also got a bred back cow calf pair.

So we are looking at this as a win. Plus everybody I know around here that actually tries to calve in a window shoots for late fall/winter due to flies and heat stress on KY31. So this lined us up good for that. Also this way I'm trying to get cows bred when we are on hay or stockpile so no endophyte concerns and i'm supplementing protein a little anyways. Should make it easier to get bred back.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:25 am

dhayes - you sure have a good attitude and a positive way of looking at things.
Best of luck to ya in the future.