Quiz: AI versus Buy a Bull

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:48 am

SEC wrote:Don't matter if you are already sharing fences with them

Yes, it does. Some fences are better than others and are specifically built to keep the neighbors bulls out.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

Hutch
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hutch » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:02 am

I don't see how you cannot have a bull if you are AI-ing, unless you are getting 95-100 % conception rates. I look at AI as a way of improving my herd, I still have a bull. Buy the best bull you can afford, AI and let the bull clean up. If you only AI every year you will have more open cows (Dun is exempt) open cows don't make you any $$$.
0 x
The second mouse gets the cheese

cypressfarms
GURU
GURU

Postby cypressfarms » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:02 am

I'm all for people A.I.'ing and improving their herd, but you will not get 100% settled, and therefore you will need a clean up bull. Your choice as to what to do from there. I don't know what type of bulls your considering buying semen from, but I would use a different breed of clean up bull, like hereford, to know for sure which calves are your A.I.'s and which were cleaned up calves.
0 x
waiting for something really important to say

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:08 am

cypressfarms wrote:I'm all for people A.I.'ing and improving their herd, but you will not get 100% settled.

Wrong, if you select for fertility in the females and cull those that don;t settle with a maximum of 2 services there's no reason to not have 100% settle. Jeanne also I believe does all AI. It akes a little more managment, but at least you don;t have to contend with a bull 365 days a year.

dun
0 x

CowCop
Rancher
Rancher

Postby CowCop » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:49 am

Since you are small, have a tech AI your cows in the beginning, while you learn to AI & improve your own technique.

There is some expense involved with AI, but the genetic progress is quicker and you don't have to mess with a bull on your property.
The expenses are:
AI School, semen tank ( consider used ) AI breeding kit and semen.

Beginners use alot more semen until they get better at AI.

If you buy a bull, get the one that best acomplishes the goals you have set for your herd. Don't skimp on cost. There is a formula to figure out how much you can spend for a bull.
I don't have it on hand, but am sure someone else has the link.
Ours comes out to $2,000. We have spent more when needed.

If you don't want to take care of the bull in the off season, then sell him.

For the past 2 years we have sold the bulls we purchased, right after the breeding season, so we don't have to deal with them through the winter. Got what we paid for them and
don't have to take up feed, labor and valuable barn space for another 8 months. It is costly to keep a bull for those extra 8 months, especially in the snow states, when he isn't being used and the damage some of these penned up bulls do is significant.
0 x
CowCop
Home is where the herd is.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:21 pm

This brings to mind a question. After you've culled down, how do you select the bull that best fits for your herd? Do you use one that comlements to top cows, the average cows or the bottom cows?

dun
0 x

preston39
GURU
GURU

Postby preston39 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:53 pm

dun,

Excellent point.

Thats one of the reasons even top breeders use a combination approach. For the average commercial herdsman it can be a tough choice. The number of cows to be bred can be an influence also. The sharing of bulls around here among the small types is becoming the in thing. Even that has some concerns. Leasing is becoming a new trend also. I would want to know where the bull had been for his breeding life of sharing or being leased, for starters.
0 x
G. Preston
"Without Christ you are alone....can you handle it?"
If you must doubt something...doubt your limits.

rkm
GURU
GURU

Postby rkm » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:17 pm

I visited reg. angus herd couple days ago. Just 13 cows. He is full time farmer, also small veal operation. Now I'm new to beef bred hol. all my life. I don't know what his goals are but with those 13 cows he had a well bred herd bull and used 7 or 8 ai sires each year. Is that wise?
0 x

novaman
GURU
GURU

Postby novaman » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:19 pm

rkm wrote:I visited reg. angus herd couple days ago. Just 13 cows. He is full time farmer, also small veal operation. Now I'm new to beef bred hol. all my life. I don't know what his goals are but with those 13 cows he had a well bred herd bull and used 7 or 8 ai sires each year. Is that wise?

Having a well bred bull, which I would assume would have cost a pretty penny, and using AI sounds like a pretty expensive operation to get 13 cows bred.
0 x

cypressfarms
GURU
GURU

Postby cypressfarms » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:31 pm

dun wrote:
cypressfarms wrote:I'm all for people A.I.'ing and improving their herd, but you will not get 100% settled.

Wrong, if you select for fertility in the females and cull those that don;t settle with a maximum of 2 services there's no reason to not have 100% settle. Jeanne also I believe does all AI. It akes a little more managment, but at least you don;t have to contend with a bull 365 days a year.

dun

Dun,

I'm not doubting you, but I've never seen an outfit that was able to attain 100%. I need to come over to take lessons from you Dun, are you accepting work hands?
0 x
waiting for something really important to say

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:52 am

cypressfarms wrote:
dun wrote:

dun

Dun,

I'm not doubting you, but I've never seen an outfit that was able to attain 100%. I need to come over to take lessons from you Dun, are you accepting work hands?

Check with the dairys in your area, a lot of them do 100% AI and don;t have a bull on the place. It starts with the selection of the female side of the equation.
As to hiring, how are you at tearing out old overgrown fence and hanging new fence?

dun
0 x

mcangus
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mcangus » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:24 pm

I wouldn't be afraid to use AI no matter how big the herd is. The guys who think they can get a better conception rate with a bull are fooling themselves. If all you are concerned with is a calf maker or do you wish to put some genetics back in the herd. Oh and by the way sharpen up that pencil and i think you will see that AI is cheaper.
0 x

greenwillowherefords
GURU
GURU

Postby greenwillowherefords » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:02 pm

Many registered breeders have bulls for sale who are sons of top AI bulls.
0 x
Green Willow Herefords
Coweta, Oklahoma
Birthplace of TSG Tamerlane, TSG Buckshot Tone 1, Herd bulls

la4angus
GURU
GURU

Postby la4angus » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:52 pm

Hutch wrote: If you only AI every year you will have more open cows (Dun is exempt) open cows don't make you any $$$.
Yep, you're right. Awhile back he claimed that some hired him to go in and AI after the clean-up bull got taken out.
0 x
Hoff First Edition 058 242

shorthorn cowgirl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Quiz: AI versus Buy a Bull

Postby shorthorn cowgirl » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:07 pm

GaryDG wrote:Assume all cows/heifers have the same background.

cow / heiffer herd size is 15

All are registered Black Angus.

Why would you AI as instead of purchasing a good bull?

Cheaper and safer.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”