How fat is too fat?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
jaydill
GURU
GURU

How fat is too fat?

Postby jaydill » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:28 pm

How can you tell when your heifer has become overly conditioned to the point where it might cause infertility or milking issues?
0 x

Wewild
GURU
GURU

Re: How fat is too fat?

Postby Wewild » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:31 pm

jaydill wrote:How can you tell when your heifer has become overly conditioned to the point where it might cause infertility or milking issues?

Look at the tail head. If she's wearing shoulder pads, you might have a problem.
0 x
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

jaydill
GURU
GURU

Postby jaydill » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:50 am

So if she develops no fat rolls on the tailhead, you're a-ok?
0 x

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:29 am

Jay,

I bought a young heifer last fall at a sale in NC, she was what some thought at the point of being over conditioned. Apparently the breeder that had put her in feeds day old baked goods. Which was unknown to me at the time. I got what I thought was a real good price on her, and was pleased with her bloodline. Fortunately it worked out okay, as after about 6 weeks at home, she cycled and was bred. You may have seen her pic on another thread. I posted about her qualifying for the World show in Ft. Worth, but she is due to calf around the date of the show and a 14 hour trip is out of the question.

Know this doesn't help with your question.
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:09 am

0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

jaydill
GURU
GURU

Postby jaydill » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:40 pm

Thanks for the story, the chart, and the laugh. :lol: Thanks especially for that link...it's very informative and I have a much better idea of what I'm looking and feeling for. Warpaint, if it's the heifer I'm thinking I saw a pic of, I really liked the look of her. Glad she took for you. Let us see a pic of that calf once it drops. :)
0 x

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:27 am

Definately!!
Between me and the wife, one of us is bound to post a pic. Even when we're over at Rustlers, we get like proud aunts and uncles!! ;-)
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns

Medicine Hat Farm

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”