Yearling bull breed??? (pic)

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Rustler9
GURU
GURU

Postby Rustler9 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:37 am

I guess I overlooked the number of heifers to be bred-35 is definitely too many for that boy to handle. He can probably cover 15 to 20 if they're not all cycling in the same time frame. I still think the bull is a cross of Longhorn and some Brahman type of cattle. He could be Beefmaster, Gert, Brangus, Braford, what else? I doubt if it is Brangus because I think he would be black or black and white. I still believe he's a Beefmaster/Longhorn cross. I wouldn't be afraid to use him. You should get easy calving on the heifers. I'd take him anyday over some of the other breeds, Char, Sim or Lim (not knocking these breeds-so no one gets offended please) for a first calf heifer.
0 x
Roger Townsend
BT Farms
Pulaski, TN

http://www.btfarms.net

lakading
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lakading » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:58 am

Bez! wrote:
First off - why in the name of heavens would someone buy a bull of unknown origin - especially for heifers?

Yup, I'd say that makes him of the "cow freshener" breed.
0 x
Enjoy the journey!!!

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:21 pm

Gonna say he's longhorn with some brahman influence.
I also agree that 35 is way too many for him to cover. I'd probably put him with 10 or so, then decide after the calves arrive what I wanted to do with him.
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:08 pm

warpaint wrote:Gonna say he's longhorn with some brahman influence.
I also agree that 35 is way too many for him to cover. I'd probably put him with 10 or so, then decide after the calves arrive what I wanted to do with him.
if low birth weight is what he is after why not go with strait angus the resulting calves out of the heifers will bring more money. out of this outfit it will be a toss up every time they calve. a group of uniform calves will be more appealing to the buyer that a grab bag of assorted colors and sizes. cause i would either want him strait longhorn or strait beefmaster but not from this unfortunate mating of the two
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE
GURU
GURU

Postby SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Ship him or get another bull to better your odds. I have some young Murray Grey Bulls that would do you a good job on your first time heifers,they have had a breeding soundness exam,the vet said he would not heistate to put them with 50 cows.Check into Murray Grey, there is probably a breeder close by to your place. ;-) :cboy:
0 x
Mike & LeeAnn Springer
Springer Farms Murray Grey's
http://springerfarms.com/

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE
GURU
GURU

Postby SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:26 pm

May be shorthorn rather than longhorn. ;-) :cboy:
0 x
Mike & LeeAnn Springer

Springer Farms Murray Grey's

http://springerfarms.com/

glover36
Rancher
Rancher

Postby glover36 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:54 pm

he may have been dehorne when he was a calf also
0 x
glover

Rafter E
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Rafter E » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:25 pm

Thanks to you all for weighing in, here is the latest on the bull...

It has been confirmed to us by the previous owner that he is out of a Santa Gertrudis bull and Angus cow. Not a speck of longhorn in him.

I have put the heifers in a pasture away from the bull and am still up in the air as far as what the plan is.

If they were my heifers, I would sell the AnGert and get a Longhorn. Either way, I will be the one pulling or not pulling next winter.

In regard to the fires... They are between us and Running Arrow, about 1,000,000 acres now. More than 10,000 head killed and maimed. Our prayers and thoughts are with those affected.
0 x
Eric

Arnold Ziffle
GURU
GURU

Postby Arnold Ziffle » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:42 pm

Wow, not disputing the former owner, but that bull sure has a lot of white and spots to be out of a Gert/Angus cross. I've seen a fair number of Gert/Angus calves and none displayed in that manner. But I guess the white on his body could have come from the Shorty part of the Gert.

Very sad situation with the drought, hay shortage and now all those fires. Sure hope you continue to stay safe and unscorched -- you too, RAB.
0 x

topsquar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby topsquar » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:07 am

seriuously, casterate that bull and go get a real bull in australia
we would not even bother with an animal like, if all your cattle look like that go sell them all and buy a few real good quality animals. ;-)
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”