Feeding grain cost

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Feeding grain cost

Postby Lucky » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:18 pm

Is anybody using scales on thier feeder? If not wondering how you are measuring how much feed the stockers are getting? Only reason I ask is that have I scales on my truck feeder and noticed that I have been overfeeding a couple sets of cows today. Guess I should say I always turn them on when feeding stockers but not when feeding cows.
0 x

rufun2sun
Beginner
Beginner

Postby rufun2sun » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:34 am

ddd75 wrote:
BigBear wrote:
rufun2sun wrote:Noticed my grain doesn't last as long, I'm guessing cuz everyone is getting bigger. Just figured I'm at $1.26 per day per head. I buy all my feed. I'm small time operation, just wondered how that compares to others?

I’m small taters too. I pay .13/lb delivered for 16% CP mixed feed. Used to feed 14% and bumped up with this current batch and it seems to be working out well.

who are you getting your feed from?

I'm at o.14/ lbs get from the local feed mill
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:33 pm

i'd like to get mine to around .065
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:32 pm

Down here just about any high quality feed is going to cost you $.15 a pound minimum so it doesn't take much to make the daily feed expensive.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:01 am

I'm spending about $.15 /lb for a 17% commodity pellet with both bio-mos and DE in it. Feed it to the calves and mix with a sweet feed for the dairy nurse cows. Nurse cows get about 10 -12 lbs each per day and calves get about 3-4 lbs per head per day. Mixed by our local mill. They don't use alot of filler stuff either.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:34 am

farmerjan wrote:I'm spending about $.15 /lb for a 17% commodity pellet with both bio-mos and DE in it. Feed it to the calves and mix with a sweet feed for the dairy nurse cows. Nurse cows get about 10 -12 lbs each per day and calves get about 3-4 lbs per head per day. Mixed by our local mill. They don't use alot of filler stuff either.

The DE is just running the cost up.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:02 am

The DE is not much when you consider we do little or no worming on a regular basis. Have done fecals to make sure we are not missing the boat. At about $7.5 per ton, I consider it money well spent. DE costs about $.15/ lb and the formula we use is about 50 lbs per ton.
Our feed mill uses it in many of the feed mixes. It is now standard in the poultry/layer feed as it has been proven that it really cuts the worm load on layers. I pushed it years ago when I ran layers on pasture and they did a few fecals and such.

If you don't feed much grain the DE can also be added to the mineral mix and get the same results. It works good in fly dust bags for the cattle also.

I know there are alot of people that think it is "fairy dust" but it works for us. We also use BIOMOS and Tasco ( a form of kelp) in our feed mixes. It costs about $7.00 per ton for each. So for about $21.00 per ton, we feel we are getting more out of the feed than if we didn't put it in.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:18 am

farmerjan wrote:The DE is not much when you consider we do little or no worming on a regular basis. Have done fecals to make sure we are not missing the boat. At about $7.5 per ton, I consider it money well spent. DE costs about $.15/ lb and the formula we use is about 50 lbs per ton.
Our feed mill uses it in many of the feed mixes. It is now standard in the poultry/layer feed as it has been proven that it really cuts the worm load on layers. I pushed it years ago when I ran layers on pasture and they did a few fecals and such.

If you don't feed much grain the DE can also be added to the mineral mix and get the same results. It works good in fly dust bags for the cattle also.

I know there are alot of people that think it is "fairy dust" but it works for us. We also use BIOMOS and Tasco ( a form of kelp) in our feed mixes. It costs about $7.00 per ton for each. So for about $21.00 per ton, we feel we are getting more out of the feed than if we didn't put it in.

Wow, around her DE is over $25 for a 50 lb. bag (feed grade DE) and there is no evidence it does any good in the feed. The only people promoting it or those that are selling it. Veterinarians and research labs have always said there is no benefit and it is not approved to be used against internal parasites. It is however, an excellent insecticide and is state approved to be promoted and used as such. BioMoss is a good product. Tasco (kelp meal) is little more than a source of iodine with miniscule amounts of other minerals.
0 x

jwimberly
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jwimberly » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:22 am

The local mill here is .13/lb for 16% pellets and getting their base protein from Canola and Sunflower mill is what the website says. It doesn't have the sweet molasses smell that I'm used to getting but cows seem to love it.
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:14 am

Finally got a bulk feed bin and my cost is 10.6 cents per pound for 17% CP 5% fat. It's DDG, soy hulls and corn.
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:08 pm

shaz wrote:Finally got a bulk feed bin and my cost is 10.6 cents per pound for 17% CP 5% fat. It's DDG, soy hulls and corn.

Good feed and good price as well. Don't think you need that much protein but what the heck.
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:25 pm

TexasBred wrote:
shaz wrote:Finally got a bulk feed bin and my cost is 10.6 cents per pound for 17% CP 5% fat. It's DDG, soy hulls and corn.

Good feed and good price as well. Don't think you need that much protein but what the heck.

I really don't need that much protein but one of my major issues has been that I can't keep calves in the dry lot with bad hay. So I overshot the mark. Having some issues with waste with the DDG due to wind and being setup to feed pellets so I'm spraying a mist of water on the feed as it comes out of the bin. Seems to help somewhat.
0 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:32 am

Shaz , where are you buying your feed.
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:21 am

midTN_Brangusman wrote:

Shaz , where are you buying your feed.

Ogle Feed. They're in Elora. Where you're located, you may want to talk to Performance Feeds as well.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:59 am

TexasBred wrote:
farmerjan wrote:The DE is not much when you consider we do little or no worming on a regular basis. Have done fecals to make sure we are not missing the boat. At about $7.5 per ton, I consider it money well spent. DE costs about $.15/ lb and the formula we use is about 50 lbs per ton.

Wow, around her DE is over $25 for a 50 lb. bag (feed grade DE) and there is no evidence it does any good in the feed. The only people promoting it or those that are selling it. Veterinarians and research labs have always said there is no benefit and it is not approved to be used against internal parasites. It is however, an excellent insecticide and is state approved to be promoted and used as such. BioMoss is a good product. Tasco (kelp meal) is little more than a source of iodine with miniscule amounts of other minerals.

To buy DE separate like at TSC it is about $25 per 50 lb bag. But this mill uses it quite a bit and buys it wholesale in larger quantities and passes it on to us in the bulk feed prices. I am sure they make it up in other ways, but I talked to them and asked exactly what each was costing. Trace minerals in the Tasco are often more readily absorbed by the body in a more natural product and we have fed Thorvin or Tasco kelp in most everything.

We have 3 bulk bins; a 2 i/2 ton, a 4 ton and a 6 ton. Also have another that needs a new "slide" at the bottom as it was set up for an auger, then someone put a slider straight across and the weight of the feed makes it so you can't slide it to open. Needs to be on an angle like the others. Oh also have a small one that maybe holds a ton that my son uses at his house for the feed for the ewes and lambs. I used to 2 1/2 ton one for the layer feed when I was running pastured poultry and as soon as it is emptied, will put the sweet feed that I get by the bag in it. The 4 ton one I use for the 17% and the 6 ton one is at the other barn for the 17% that he uses there to top dress the silage the calves are getting fed. It gets tiresome to have to haul it all over. The 2 ton bin was given to me; I bought the 4 ton and the small 1 ton ones, used, and the 6 ton one I don't know where he got it. They can sometimes be found cheap, but you might have to do a little work on them. We have had to patch some spots in the sides where they were split a bit or something. Often when a farm is going out of business, or sometimes when a dairy is expanding and they need a bigger bin and you know about it, you can buy the smaller one. It is alot easier for me to take 5 gal buckets with lids in the back of the pickup and fill a couple of metal garbage cans at the one place, or just take 5 gal buckets with lids to feed. We are close to an interstate exchange and one place has a Dunkin Donuts. All the frostings, icings and fillings come in 1, 2, and 5 gal buckets. I get them for free and have to wash all that "sugary stuff" out and they make great buckets. The kids give me the flexibility to fill and cover and then the cows don't get into them on the truck. I can unload without worrying that they are going to get into them, and it keeps the "vermin" out of them in the barn. D#$%@#d groundhogs will try to chew through them and will succeed but we also store some seed in them. Dill pickles come in them too, and if you are near a place that has food for sale and buys any in bulk, ask.
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”