New Feed Mix

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

New Feed Mix

Postby Lucky » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:08 am

Trying a new 16% protien feed mix this year. Will be feeding to cows and weaned calves. Let me know what you think.
45% corn
10% whole cotton seed
10% DDG
20% lin seed
10% soy hulls
4% molasses
Mineral pack added
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: New Feed Mix

Postby TexasBred » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:56 pm

Is that linseed or linseed meal??
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:33 pm

TexasBred wrote:Is that linseed or linseed meal??

Not sure. The guy that made the mix up for me just said linseed for the protien. I got my first load today the molasses seemed to cut the dust down like I was hoping.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:55 am

Lucky wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Is that linseed or linseed meal??

Not sure. The guy that made the mix up for me just said linseed for the protien. I got my first load today the molasses seemed to cut the dust down like I was hoping.

I'd probably reduce the amount of corn and increase the amount of soyhulls in the mix. Saw your post on the molasses but I'd also remove the molasses and replace it with soyhulls as well. You're using up 80lbs. per ton for dust control and it has almost no nutritional value. I feed a mix to calves sometimes that has no molasses. It's a little dusty but not enough to be any kind of problem.
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:20 am

What would reducing corn and increasing soy hulls do for me? I’m not a feed expert by any means. After feeding dusty feed for the last 8 years not getting covered in dust filling the feeder is nice so think I’ll keep the molasses. It was never a problem for the cattle just me.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Lucky wrote:What would reducing corn and increasing soy hulls do for me? I’m not a feed expert by any means. After feeding dusty feed for the last 8 years not getting covered in dust filling the feeder is nice so think I’ll keep the molasses. It was never a problem for the cattle just me.

Just makes the feed a little bit more mellow. Less starches and more digestible fiber. As for the molasses not a problem especially if the dust really bothers you.
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:10 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Lucky wrote:What would reducing corn and increasing soy hulls do for me? I’m not a feed expert by any means. After feeding dusty feed for the last 8 years not getting covered in dust filling the feeder is nice so think I’ll keep the molasses. It was never a problem for the cattle just me.

Just makes the feed a little bit more mellow. Less starches and more digestible fiber. As for the molasses not a problem especially if the dust really bothers you.

Thanks I’m going to ask about that before my next order. I’m a little worried about the cotton seed bridging over in my overhead and the feeder too. We’ll just see how it goes.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:12 pm

Lucky wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

Thanks I’m going to ask about that before my next order. I’m a little worried about the cotton seed bridging over in my overhead and the feeder too. We’ll just see how it goes.

That's really not a high inclusion rate on the seed so shouldn't be a problem. Might get the corn chopped instead of fine ground and that will help it flow better.
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”