Backgrounding & feeding questions.
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Post by kenny thomas » Fri May 03, 2019 8:50 pm

Lucky wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:12 pm
If I was going to try and put some weight on the calves by creep feeding I’d want feed to be 10 cents a pound or less. That’s probably not going to happen these days. I think at 10-14 cents a pound it’s worth doing for 3-4 weeks before weaning to get their belly ready to start gaining on feed. I’ve only been weaning calves for 5-6 years now but have learned that anything done early helps them gain weight faster. Castrating and dehorning at weaning seems to set them back at least 30-45 days. That combined with ramping up the feed to let their rumen accept it and convert to pounds all cost you money. I’m going to try the creep again this year and keep up with it better now that I have a set of scales.
If castrating and dehorning sets them back that much why not do it when they are born and add 1 implant and your back to the growth of a bull calf.

My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Fri May 03, 2019 9:29 pm

I always do my best to castrate and dehorn at 30-90 days but it always seems there’s a few stragglers born after we the spring working. It’s mainly just a scheduling thing. I think I had 5 born this year after we worked the cows. So a few of them will get cut late. I’ve just about eliminated the horns so hopefully it won’t be an issue anymore. I haven’t ventured into implanting yet but have looked into it.

On another note just to make sure we are on the same page are we calling creep feeding the feed they get while still on the mommas before weaning? After weaning they are hand fed correct?

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:12 am

Yes, on your definition of creep feeding.
JMJ - I would love to have seen that hog episode!!
Backtrack a little on the heifer getting fat in the udder. Fat in the udder is a "real" problem - but - just to clarify, it does not affect them AFTER they are bred. In my mind, no heifer should be fed enough to get fat in her udder, no matter what age.
I didn't read the article in the beginning of this thread, but NEFarmwife dug into the article and they said they creed fed from 7-15 to 11-1 - then weaned early December.
Question - would that be counter-productive?? Creep feed about 100 days, then quit 30+ days before weaning? Seems like that's backwards. You are getting their bugs established on a grain diet, then no grain, then back to a weaned grain diet?? Unless, they never went back to a grain diet.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Nuakerprel
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Nuakerprel » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:47 am

What is creep feeding?

We just picked up a jersay bottle calf yesterday.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:55 pm

Creep feeding is providing feed just for the calves while they are still nursing their dam.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:06 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:55 pm
Creep feeding is providing feed just for the calves while they are still nursing their dam.
He’s a banned troll Jeanne. He won’t be bothering us anymore...

under that name at least.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!