Feeding out a couple steers

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
User avatar
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5774
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 am
Location: myakka city fl
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:55 pm

well since yer the expert asking questions and have never eaten any of mine save yer judgement and don't be d$$khead. idk how long you planning on feeding it but fat doenst marble for beans if its all jammed in at the last 60 days of life..itll all be wasted money on trim. idgf what ya do but don't try to impress me by raising crappy cattle that need 500$ of feed to finish. ill put my steaks against anything you grow....anytime. my steers finish on grass alone about 1200 lbs...about 750ish on the rail.. in 20 mos....everyone moans about being poor and not making any money...wait..tell me its fork tender best ya ever had right....lol...good luck expert


Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein


sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Porkchopfat
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:19 pm
Location: North east Texas
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by Porkchopfat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:51 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:36 pm
Porkchopfat wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:48 pm
I am working on a steer feed out myself right now. If I have interpreted Texas Bred's post correctly I should be successfull. I am feeding loanstar 1025. It is less than 10% Crude fiber, it is the first thing I look at on the feed tag. It should indicate by the by that you are getting a good high grain supplement. I feed 1 lbs of 1025 and 1 lbs of corn twice a day to start. After 10 days I add another 1 lbs of corn. Keep adding corn and possibly 1025 till he is on full feed. Make sure to have plenty of long fiber hay available to control/slow digestion and keep the rumen nice and healthy. But I could be off so ... how close is that TB.
How big is your steer and what is the crude protein on the 1025
The steer is 1000 lbs. And 10% cp on the 1025. 3 fat and 10 fiber.
Usmc retired.
Producing a product for a market rather than producing a product and trying to find a market for it are two separate activities.

Jeffrey W. Savell TAMU

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11143
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 588 times
Been thanked: 843 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:50 pm

dieselbeef wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:55 pm
well since yer the expert asking questions and have never eaten any of mine save yer judgement and don't be d$$khead. idk how long you planning on feeding it but fat doenst marble for beans if its all jammed in at the last 60 days of life..itll all be wasted money on trim. idgf what ya do but don't try to impress me by raising crappy cattle that need 500$ of feed to finish. ill put my steaks against anything you grow....anytime. my steers finish on grass alone about 1200 lbs...about 750ish on the rail.. in 20 mos....everyone moans about being poor and not making any money...wait..tell me its fork tender best ya ever had right....lol...good luck expert
Calm down. You are the one saying to feed just the last 60 days ("pasture til 20 mos..then free choice all they can eat feed ....butcher at 22 mos...700 on the rail..it aint rocket science...."
I take a weaned fall calf and start feeding in May. 60 days about 10#/hd/day, next 60 days about 15#/hd/day, last 60 days about 25#/hd/day of whole shell corn with a little Sunshine protein pellets. High protein grass thru summer, then 16% baleage. That's 3000# (1.5 ton) of $175/ton corn. Less than $300 total under 14 months old, 750# carcass.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 pm
Location: Kansas
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by Bcompton53 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:49 pm
dieselbeef wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:02 am
pasture til 20 mos..then free choice all they can eat feed ....butcher at 22 mos...700 on the rail..it aint rocket science....
I disagree with your timing. The younger, the more tender. Research has time and again proven (if you plan to sell) that consumers put more emphasis on tenderness than marbling.
I butcher (harvest) at 12-14 months of age with 750# carcass - full of marbling and tender. customers claim " I can cut it with a fork". We have all our chucks cut into 1" steaks and cook and eat like a regular t-bone.
Your way may be the cheapest, but I want quality meat in MY freezer, and more importantly, want quality in my customers' freezer.
Echos what I have read and experienced.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 30162
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas
Has thanked: 230 times
Been thanked: 207 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by TexasBred » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:37 am

Porkchopfat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:51 pm
TexasBred wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:36 pm
Porkchopfat wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:48 pm
I am working on a steer feed out myself right now. If I have interpreted Texas Bred's post correctly I should be successfull. I am feeding loanstar 1025. It is less than 10% Crude fiber, it is the first thing I look at on the feed tag. It should indicate by the by that you are getting a good high grain supplement. I feed 1 lbs of 1025 and 1 lbs of corn twice a day to start. After 10 days I add another 1 lbs of corn. Keep adding corn and possibly 1025 till he is on full feed. Make sure to have plenty of long fiber hay available to control/slow digestion and keep the rumen nice and healthy. But I could be off so ... how close is that TB.
How big is your steer and what is the crude protein on the 1025
The steer is 1000 lbs. And 10% cp on the 1025. 3 fat and 10 fiber.
Sorry Porkchop. Done got nasty so I'm staying out of it
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

Porkchopfat
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:19 pm
Location: North east Texas
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by Porkchopfat » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:57 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:37 am
Porkchopfat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:51 pm
TexasBred wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:36 pm


How big is your steer and what is the crude protein on the 1025
The steer is 1000 lbs. And 10% cp on the 1025. 3 fat and 10 fiber.
Sorry Porkchop. Done got nasty so I'm staying out of it
Dang shame isn't it. Thanks for at least looking.
Usmc retired.
Producing a product for a market rather than producing a product and trying to find a market for it are two separate activities.

Jeffrey W. Savell TAMU

VaCowman
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:51 pm
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by VaCowman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:24 pm

We direct market about 18-20 per year and we feed 1.5-2% of their bodyweight until they reach about 800# and then start increasing feed until they are eating about 20# feed/hd/d. Then we start introducing our "finishing feed" that is 1800# WSC and 200# of local mill's "Tender Beef" product and free choice hay and pasture (while it lasts). They go on a self feeder once they area eating 20# of the WSC mix. So far, we've never had an issue with acidosis and they do VERY WELL on the mix. We've finished some moderate framed steers in 14 mos. and larger framed steers and heifers in 16 mos. Some of the heifers are older than that due to the fact that we roll over any replacements into feeding program that do not get bred in first 30d of breeding season. Most heifers are in the 1150-1200# range and steers in the 1250-1450 range. Meat is fantastic.

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 455 times
Been thanked: 279 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by sstterry » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:47 pm

VaCowman wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:24 pm
We direct market about 18-20 per year and we feed 1.5-2% of their bodyweight until they reach about 800# and then start increasing feed until they are eating about 20# feed/hd/d. Then we start introducing our "finishing feed" that is 1800# WSC and 200# of local mill's "Tender Beef" product and free choice hay and pasture (while it lasts). They go on a self feeder once they area eating 20# of the WSC mix. So far, we've never had an issue with acidosis and they do VERY WELL on the mix. We've finished some moderate framed steers in 14 mos. and larger framed steers and heifers in 16 mos. Some of the heifers are older than that due to the fact that we roll over any replacements into feeding program that do not get bred in first 30d of breeding season. Most heifers are in the 1150-1200# range and steers in the 1250-1450 range. Meat is fantastic.
What is WSC?

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 455 times
Been thanked: 279 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by sstterry » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:00 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:50 pm
I take a weaned fall calf and start feeding in May. 60 days about 10#/hd/day, next 60 days about 15#/hd/day, last 60 days about 25#/hd/day of whole shell corn with a little Sunshine protein pellets. High protein grass thru summer, then 16% baleage. That's 3000# (1.5 ton) of $175/ton corn. Less than $300 total under 14 months old, 750# carcass.
Jeanne, do you find a difference between using whole corn vs cracked or ground? I seems to me that ground corn would be more easily digestible.

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11143
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 588 times
Been thanked: 843 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:30 pm

WSC is whole shell corn.
sst - most people don't want to hear this - but - WSC is excellent to feed. Cracking, rolling, flaking, grinding - all costs money. WSC is within 8% as efficient as any of the other processed corn. So, if you can buy WSC 8% cheaper - it is best price.
Yes, you will see lots of WSC in their manure. But, if you were able to process that manure and separate out the corn from cracked/flaked/ground corn - there is the SAME amount of corn - you just can't see it. The cattle utilize the corn. WSC is actually "healthier", especially for calves if the processed corn is fine or dusty. I feed WSC to my show string, my weaned replacement heifers and steers that I finish out for freezer beef.
VAcowman - that is pretty similar to just about what I do - I just broke it down into "about" pounds to reach a cost.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 455 times
Been thanked: 279 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by sstterry » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:38 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:30 pm
WSC is whole shell corn.
sst - most people don't want to hear this - but - WSC is excellent to feed. Cracking, rolling, flaking, grinding - all costs money. WSC is within 8% as efficient as any of the other processed corn. So, if you can buy WSC 8% cheaper - it is best price.
Yes, you will see lots of WSC in their manure. But, if you were able to process that manure and separate out the corn from cracked/flaked/ground corn - there is the SAME amount of corn - you just can't see it. The cattle utilize the corn. WSC is actually "healthier", especially for calves if the processed corn is fine or dusty. I feed WSC to my show string, my weaned replacement heifers and steers that I finish out for freezer beef.
VAcowman - that is pretty similar to just about what I do - I just broke it down into "about" pounds to reach a cost.
Thank you and that answered my question!

VaCowman
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:51 pm
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by VaCowman » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:23 am

sstterry wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:47 pm
VaCowman wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:24 pm
We direct market about 18-20 per year and we feed 1.5-2% of their bodyweight until they reach about 800# and then start increasing feed until they are eating about 20# feed/hd/d. Then we start introducing our "finishing feed" that is 1800# WSC and 200# of local mill's "Tender Beef" product and free choice hay and pasture (while it lasts). They go on a self feeder once they area eating 20# of the WSC mix. So far, we've never had an issue with acidosis and they do VERY WELL on the mix. We've finished some moderate framed steers in 14 mos. and larger framed steers and heifers in 16 mos. Some of the heifers are older than that due to the fact that we roll over any replacements into feeding program that do not get bred in first 30d of breeding season. Most heifers are in the 1150-1200# range and steers in the 1250-1450 range. Meat is fantastic.
What is WSC?
Whole shelled corn

VaCowman
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:51 pm
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by VaCowman » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:28 am

sstterry wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:38 am
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:30 pm
WSC is whole shell corn.
sst - most people don't want to hear this - but - WSC is excellent to feed. Cracking, rolling, flaking, grinding - all costs money. WSC is within 8% as efficient as any of the other processed corn. So, if you can buy WSC 8% cheaper - it is best price.
Yes, you will see lots of WSC in their manure. But, if you were able to process that manure and separate out the corn from cracked/flaked/ground corn - there is the SAME amount of corn - you just can't see it. The cattle utilize the corn. WSC is actually "healthier", especially for calves if the processed corn is fine or dusty. I feed WSC to my show string, my weaned replacement heifers and steers that I finish out for freezer beef.
VAcowman - that is pretty similar to just about what I do - I just broke it down into "about" pounds to reach a cost.
Thank you and that answered my question!
FWIW, the nutritionist I spoke with about this product/ration I use suggested that WSC was safer (in regards to acidosis) than cracked corn.

Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 pm
Location: Kansas
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by Bcompton53 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 am

All good info. Thanks to all

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 30162
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas
Has thanked: 230 times
Been thanked: 207 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by TexasBred » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:30 pm

VaCowman wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:28 am
sstterry wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:38 am
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:30 pm
WSC is whole shell corn.
sst - most people don't want to hear this - but - WSC is excellent to feed. Cracking, rolling, flaking, grinding - all costs money. WSC is within 8% as efficient as any of the other processed corn. So, if you can buy WSC 8% cheaper - it is best price.
Yes, you will see lots of WSC in their manure. But, if you were able to process that manure and separate out the corn from cracked/flaked/ground corn - there is the SAME amount of corn - you just can't see it. The cattle utilize the corn. WSC is actually "healthier", especially for calves if the processed corn is fine or dusty. I feed WSC to my show string, my weaned replacement heifers and steers that I finish out for freezer beef.
VAcowman - that is pretty similar to just about what I do - I just broke it down into "about" pounds to reach a cost.
Thank you and that answered my question!
FWIW, the nutritionist I spoke with about this product/ration I use suggested that WSC was safer (in regards to acidosis) than cracked corn.
And cracked corn is less likely to cause acidosis than fine ground corn, however, if you have the ration balanced well you can avoid this potential problem and using fine ground corn will give you better production. In the grand scheme of things you'll never notice the difference unless you're weighing every little thing in the feed program going in and coming out.
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

Post Reply