Yet another finishing question

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
willow bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:37 am

Yet another finishing question

Postby willow bottom » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:04 am

I'm planning on finishing steers on high quality grass and grain. My plan is to let them graze a high quality forage such as a legume/cereal grain mix, at the same time they would be fed a certain amount of grain (corn) each day as well. My question is since they have access to high quality forage at all times during the finishing process will they need such a balanced finishing ration?
0 x

User avatar
Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2082
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:33 am
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: Yet another finishing question

Postby Supa Dexta » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:46 pm

They'll walk a lot of it off. Takes time, but it can be done. No idea what you're calling a balanced ration, or what you have for animals but you still gotta pile grain to them to finish right. 'Grass finished'.. yeah no thanks.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8188
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Yet another finishing question

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:44 pm

Pasture finishing has not been popular for at least 70 years. Not sure why you want to go there. Problem is that the feed conversion is lower than in a feedlot. Unbalanced ration will just make it worse. You need a niche market to have any chance of making it work financially.
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4317
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: Yet another finishing question

Postby sim.-ang.king » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:53 pm

Put on grass till about 900-1000ish pounds, then finish them on grain the last month to two months. Good way to cut some feed cost on the lighter weights, but still not lose those gains in the heavier weights.
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

willow bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:37 am

Re: Yet another finishing question

Postby willow bottom » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:30 am

Stocker Steve wrote:Pasture finishing has not been popular for at least 70 years. Not sure why you want to go there. Problem is that the feed conversion is lower than in a feedlot. Unbalanced ration will just make it worse. You need a niche market to have any chance of making it work financially.


I'd be direct selling beef. Customers want to see a happy cow on grass and not cramped up in a feedlot. That's my reasoning for wanting to have them always on grass.
0 x

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6924
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Yet another finishing question

Postby M-5 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:49 am

willow bottom wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:Pasture finishing has not been popular for at least 70 years. Not sure why you want to go there. Problem is that the feed conversion is lower than in a feedlot. Unbalanced ration will just make it worse. You need a niche market to have any chance of making it work financially.


I'd be direct selling beef. Customers want to see a happy cow on grass and not cramped up in a feedlot. That's my reasoning for wanting to have them always on grass.



whats your drought plan ??
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

willow bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:37 am

Re: Yet another finishing question

Postby willow bottom » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:08 am

M-5 wrote:
willow bottom wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:Pasture finishing has not been popular for at least 70 years. Not sure why you want to go there. Problem is that the feed conversion is lower than in a feedlot. Unbalanced ration will just make it worse. You need a niche market to have any chance of making it work financially.


I'd be direct selling beef. Customers want to see a happy cow on grass and not cramped up in a feedlot. That's my reasoning for wanting to have them always on grass.



whats your drought plan ??


I'm in Mississippi not the midwest. They'll be on the grass from Feb 1 till May sometime It wont be a drought in that time frame.
0 x

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6924
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Yet another finishing question

Postby M-5 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:15 am

willow bottom wrote:
M-5 wrote:
willow bottom wrote:
I'd be direct selling beef. Customers want to see a happy cow on grass and not cramped up in a feedlot. That's my reasoning for wanting to have them always on grass.



whats your drought plan ??


I'm in Mississippi not the midwest. They'll be on the grass from Feb 1 till May sometime It wont be a drought in that time frame.


We don't have a winter grass in the south unless its planted from a grain, Oats, Rye wheat , bahia will not start producing alot till mid april and even this year its slow . What "grass" do you have in mississippi ? If your in northern MS i might could see that fescue could be available
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

willow bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:37 am

Re: Yet another finishing question

Postby willow bottom » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:22 am

M-5 wrote:
willow bottom wrote:
M-5 wrote:

whats your drought plan ??


I'm in Mississippi not the midwest. They'll be on the grass from Feb 1 till May sometime It wont be a drought in that time frame.


We don't have a winter grass in the south unless its planted from a grain, Oats, Rye wheat , bahia will not start producing alot till mid april and even this year its slow . What "grass" do you have in mississippi ? If your in northern MS i might could see that fescue could be available


As I said in my first post it would be a high quality forage such as a cereal grain/legume mix That would be seeded in the fall.
0 x

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6924
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Yet another finishing question

Postby M-5 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:31 am

Maybe its a mississippi thing to call Cereal grain "Grass" Here it is what it is Oats , Rye, wheat , clover, etc! Good luck
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

willow bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:37 am

Re: Yet another finishing question

Postby willow bottom » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:40 am

M-5 wrote:Maybe its a mississippi thing to call Cereal grain "Grass" Here it is what it is Oats , Rye, wheat , clover, etc! Good luck


Thank you sir for the vocabulary lesson on Grass.

My plan is to let them graze a high quality forage such as a legume/cereal grain mix, at the same time they would be fed a certain amount of grain (corn) each day as well.
1 x

User avatar
shaz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:04 pm
Location: Middle Tn

Re: Yet another finishing question

Postby shaz » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:44 am

Stocker Steve wrote:Pasture finishing has not been popular for at least 70 years. Not sure why you want to go there. Problem is that the feed conversion is lower than in a feedlot. Unbalanced ration will just make it worse. You need a niche market to have any chance of making it work financially.


Pasture finishing is what I've done the last 2 years mostly because the steer(s) I'm dealing with are usually in with a group of weaning calves or heifers. Basically I only want to hand feed one group, one ration. same amount. Far from perfect but I usually have a flashlight strapped to my head and need to minimize time.
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6924
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Yet another finishing question

Postby M-5 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:58 am

willow bottom wrote:
M-5 wrote:Maybe its a mississippi thing to call Cereal grain "Grass" Here it is what it is Oats , Rye, wheat , clover, etc! Good luck


Thank you sir for the vocabulary lesson on Grass.

My plan is to let them graze a high quality forage such as a legume/cereal grain mix, at the same time they would be fed a certain amount of grain (corn) each day as well.


your plan will work but don't count out weather conditions being a major factor . last year we didn't have any significant from oct to may and the only oats and rye that survived was under pivot irrigation .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

willow bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:37 am

Re: Yet another finishing question

Postby willow bottom » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:04 am

M-5 wrote:
willow bottom wrote:
M-5 wrote:Maybe its a mississippi thing to call Cereal grain "Grass" Here it is what it is Oats , Rye, wheat , clover, etc! Good luck


Thank you sir for the vocabulary lesson on Grass.

My plan is to let them graze a high quality forage such as a legume/cereal grain mix, at the same time they would be fed a certain amount of grain (corn) each day as well.


your plan will work but don't count out weather conditions being a major factor . last year we didn't have any significant from oct to may and the only oats and rye that survived was under pivot irrigation .


Thanks. If there is a drought then i'll have plenty of good hay
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2130
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Yet another finishing question

Postby ddd75 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:21 am

i do it for the beef I eat.

i usually run them for about 26 months.. run them up to 8 - 900 on grass and then start feeding. This last one he's up to around 1000 lbs and I just started feeding him.. he's looking pretty good.
0 x


Return to “Feedyard Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests