Wet distillers grain

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:46 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Wet distillers grain

Postby Dsteim » Wed May 30, 2018 3:09 pm

I've got a lead on free wet distillers grain we just have to pick it up. How much should I feed my cows and weaned calves a day of it? How long does it keep? Is it a bad idea to leave it out free choice without a limiter? Should we be considering mixing it with other feed?
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19168
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Wet distillers grain

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed May 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Dsteim wrote:I've got a lead on free wet distillers grain we just have to pick it up. How much should I feed my cows and weaned calves a day of it? How long does it keep? Is it a bad idea to leave it out free choice without a limiter? Should we be considering mixing it with other feed?


From beer brewing process?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:46 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: Wet distillers grain

Postby Dsteim » Wed May 30, 2018 4:49 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Dsteim wrote:I've got a lead on free wet distillers grain we just have to pick it up. How much should I feed my cows and weaned calves a day of it? How long does it keep? Is it a bad idea to leave it out free choice without a limiter? Should we be considering mixing it with other feed?


From beer brewing process?


Yes from beer brewing.
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29618
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Wet distillers grain

Postby TexasBred » Wed May 30, 2018 6:37 pm

Dsteim wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Dsteim wrote:I've got a lead on free wet distillers grain we just have to pick it up. How much should I feed my cows and weaned calves a day of it? How long does it keep? Is it a bad idea to leave it out free choice without a limiter? Should we be considering mixing it with other feed?


From beer brewing process?


Yes from beer brewing.

That's not distillers grain. It's wet brewers grain. You can feed it free choice. At 65=70% water it takes quite a bit of it to get any real dry matter into the cattle.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:46 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: Wet distillers grain

Postby Dsteim » Wed May 30, 2018 7:46 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Dsteim wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
From beer brewing process?


Yes from beer brewing.

That's not distillers grain. It's wet brewers grain. You can feed it free choice. At 65=70% water it takes quite a bit of it to get any real dry matter into the cattle.


Do you think it's worth the effort of picking it up and putting it out for the cows? If we bought a few more totes we would be able to haul 5 tons at a time.
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19168
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Wet distillers grain

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:58 pm

Dsteim wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Dsteim wrote:
Yes from beer brewing.

That's not distillers grain. It's wet brewers grain. You can feed it free choice. At 65=70% water it takes quite a bit of it to get any real dry matter into the cattle.


Do you think it's worth the effort of picking it up and putting it out for the cows? If we bought a few more totes we would be able to haul 5 tons at a time.


Dsteim I get avg of 40 tons of brewers grain a week. Hauling on totes and shoveling and fuel is a fine line of worth it or working yourself to death. I feed mine free choice have been for years. If you feed free choice they will have some serious mud butt till there stomach adjusts. My hay consumption has went down id venture to say 60% I feed so much of it I have a sacrifice area to dump it on but I think its a fly holy grounds. Is it worth it depends on each individual person.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2802
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Contact:

Re: Wet distillers grain

Postby gizmom » Thu May 31, 2018 9:10 pm

We have been getting it from a local brewery for about five years. We go pick it up in rolling containers once a week. We supply the containers leave 20 pick up 20 or whatever they have for the week. When we were offered the opportunity we sent samples to Auburn to have it analyzed. We wanted to make sure it was worth the time and effort, based on the report we received from Auburn we have continued using it. The plus is free and a good feed not a complete feed but worth the effort. The negative is labor intensive, it only last a week in our heat and humidity. Another drawback is the brewery tends to have a lot more available in summer than winter. We really don’t need feed in Summer we have plenty of grass, but it has to be picked up year round, so we feed it to bred heifers. The cattle love the stuff.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19168
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Wet distillers grain

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:04 am

gizmom wrote:We have been getting it from a local brewery for about five years. We go pick it up in rolling containers once a week. We supply the containers leave 20 pick up 20 or whatever they have for the week. When we were offered the opportunity we sent samples to Auburn to have it analyzed. We wanted to make sure it was worth the time and effort, based on the report we received from Auburn we have continued using it. The plus is free and a good feed not a complete feed but worth the effort. The negative is labor intensive, it only last a week in our heat and humidity. Another drawback is the brewery tends to have a lot more available in summer than winter. We really don’t need feed in Summer we have plenty of grass, but it has to be picked up year round, so we feed it to bred heifers. The cattle love the stuff.

Gizmom


The winter months are slower months so production is scaled down and in summer theirs more experiments and releases. What kind of system do them have to get the grain out? is it just take out of the brew house in cans? If so we did that a year and then upgraded to a new system where its pumped out in a silo and i release it into a dump trailer or dump truck. that stuff is stinky in the summer and if it rains but i usually put it in my sandiest soil spot then disc it in every week.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19168
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Wet distillers grain

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:17 am

Before trailer sides added

Image
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 394
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am
Location: Brenham, Tx

Re: Wet distillers grain

Postby 5S Cattle » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:38 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
gizmom wrote:We have been getting it from a local brewery for about five years. We go pick it up in rolling containers once a week. We supply the containers leave 20 pick up 20 or whatever they have for the week. When we were offered the opportunity we sent samples to Auburn to have it analyzed. We wanted to make sure it was worth the time and effort, based on the report we received from Auburn we have continued using it. The plus is free and a good feed not a complete feed but worth the effort. The negative is labor intensive, it only last a week in our heat and humidity. Another drawback is the brewery tends to have a lot more available in summer than winter. We really don’t need feed in Summer we have plenty of grass, but it has to be picked up year round, so we feed it to bred heifers. The cattle love the stuff.

Gizmom


The winter months are slower months so production is scaled down and in summer theirs more experiments and releases. What kind of system do them have to get the grain out? is it just take out of the brew house in cans? If so we did that a year and then upgraded to a new system where its pumped out in a silo and i release it into a dump trailer or dump truck. that stuff is stinky in the summer and if it rains but i usually put it in my sandiest soil spot then disc it in every week.

Sky how do you take it down the road in a dump truck/trailer? The stuff I picked up last year would have been making a mess that way. I picked it up in chemical totes but it was labor intensive and spoiled quick in the summer. I gave up on it
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19168
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Wet distillers grain

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:52 am

5S Cattle wrote:Sky how do you take it down the road in a dump truck/trailer? The stuff I picked up last year would have been making a mess that way. I picked it up in chemical totes but it was labor intensive and spoiled quick in the summer. I gave up on it


Was yours really wet and sloshing around? What I have is pretty dry as we drain excess water off. It doesn't blow off in great amounts but it will drip water but no huge amount. Yea totes will work you good. If you have a may you can put it in a pit like silage.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5142
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Wet distillers grain

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:56 am

Wet Brewers Grain use to pencil out great for milk production/by pass protein in dairy cows here in Minnesota.
I'm uncertain about how it fits with beef cattle needs, performance and return on feed costs.
Sky can address pita handling and maybe TexasBred about how it would best fit into beef rations.
0 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 394
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am
Location: Brenham, Tx

Re: Wet distillers grain

Postby 5S Cattle » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:18 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:Sky how do you take it down the road in a dump truck/trailer? The stuff I picked up last year would have been making a mess that way. I picked it up in chemical totes but it was labor intensive and spoiled quick in the summer. I gave up on it


Was yours really wet and sloshing around? What I have is pretty dry as we drain excess water off. It doesn't blow off in great amounts but it will drip water but no huge amount. Yea totes will work you good. If you have a may you can put it in a pit like silage.

No but I could probably drain off 10-15 gallons of beer when I got back to the ranch out of those totes. I’d get pulled over in a minute if I had a dump truck full of it lol.
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19168
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Wet distillers grain

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:04 pm

5S Cattle wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:Sky how do you take it down the road in a dump truck/trailer? The stuff I picked up last year would have been making a mess that way. I picked it up in chemical totes but it was labor intensive and spoiled quick in the summer. I gave up on it


Was yours really wet and sloshing around? What I have is pretty dry as we drain excess water off. It doesn't blow off in great amounts but it will drip water but no huge amount. Yea totes will work you good. If you have a may you can put it in a pit like silage.

No but I could probably drain off 10-15 gallons of beer when I got back to the ranch out of those totes. I’d get pulled over in a minute if I had a dump truck full of it lol.


Everyone thinks the water is beer ... Wrong wrong wrong... That's just water.. it has to go in a fermenter and hops added depends on style of beer making but usually for a double IPA 15 days.. water run off is normal
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 970
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm
Location: west MI

Re: Wet distillers grain

Postby ez14. » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:06 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Was yours really wet and sloshing around? What I have is pretty dry as we drain excess water off. It doesn't blow off in great amounts but it will drip water but no huge amount. Yea totes will work you good. If you have a may you can put it in a pit like silage.

No but I could probably drain off 10-15 gallons of beer when I got back to the ranch out of those totes. I’d get pulled over in a minute if I had a dump truck full of it lol.


Everyone thinks the water is beer ... Wrong wrong wrong... That's just water.. it has to go in a fermenter and hops added depends on style of beer making but usually for a double IPA 15 days.. water run off is normal

Right! But you might be able to make beer out of it
0 x


Return to “Feedyard Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests