Wet distillers grain

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Wet distillers grain

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:11 pm

ez14. wrote:Right! But you might be able to make beer out of it

You wouldn't be happy with the results the major starches and sugars you need were moved out into the boiler
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:15 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
ez14. wrote:Right! But you might be able to make beer out of it

You wouldn't be happy with the results the major starches and sugars you need were moved out into the boiler

True you would need a way to condense what was left (probably easier to just buy the beer)
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:42 pm

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:11 pm

0 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:16 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Image

Yep I’d get pulled over twice on the way home with that haha
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:27 pm

5S Cattle wrote:

why?
0 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:31 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:

why?

Houston and Austin people like to keep their mercedes’ clean
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:35 pm

5S Cattle wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:Yep I’d get pulled over twice on the way home with that haha

why?

Houston and Austin people like to keep their mercedes’ clean

We have those here that water leaking out last all of 5 mins if that...
0 x

quartermeter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby quartermeter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:02 pm

In summer, or winter, U can put it in 55 gal drums, bags or anything with a air tight lid on it will sileage. I put it in barrels in July and fed it in January.
I let the cows eat for 1 hr and move them. I don’t feed it to 1st calf hefers. It makes their calf’s too big. Cows can eat too much. I’ve fed it for 5+ years.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:35 am

quartermeter wrote:In summer, or winter, U can put it in 55 gal drums, bags or anything with a air tight lid on it will sileage. I put it in barrels in July and fed it in January.
I let the cows eat for 1 hr and move them. I don’t feed it to 1st calf hefers. It makes their calf’s too big. Cows can eat too much. I’ve fed it for 5+ years.

Absolutely a false statement. I keep and raise 99% of my heifers and they have no diet different than the cows their calves are the same size as the others. The brewers grain does not make the calf any bigger than it would have been. It doesn't matter how long you fed it if you have no idea what your talking about.
2 x

quartermeter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby quartermeter » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:11 pm

:compute:
Last edited by quartermeter on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

quartermeter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby quartermeter » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:16 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
quartermeter wrote:In summer, or winter, U can put it in 55 gal drums, bags or anything with a air tight lid on it will sileage. I put it in barrels in July and fed it in January.

Absolutely a false statement. I keep and raise 99% of my heifers and they have no diet different than the cows their calves are the same size as the others. The brewers grain does not make the calf any bigger than it would have been. It doesn't matter how long you fed it if you have no idea what your talking about.

I had 2 cows die while feeding WBG free choice. Both were vaccinated and healthy. First was a 4 yr old cow. I just found her dead. the other was a first calf heifer that birthed a 95 lb calf. She was 24 months old. You do what you think is best. But answer this.
So you think a cow on just grass and a cow eating an all you can eat grain buffet and grass would have the same size calf?? Do you also think the cows would weigh the same?? That would follow your thought process. If so you should stop feeding the WBG. It’s too much work if you think you are getting no results.

Have a nice day.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:00 pm

quartermeter wrote:[
I had 2 cows die while feeding WBG free choice. Both were vaccinated and healthy. First was a 4 yr old cow. I just found her dead. the other was a first calf heifer that birthed a 95 lb calf. She was 24 months old. You do what you think is best. But answer this.
So you think a cow on just grass and a cow eating an all you can eat grain buffet and grass would have the same size calf?? Do you also think the cows would weigh the same?? That would follow your thought process. If so you should stop feeding the WBG. It’s too much work if you think you are getting no results.

Have a nice day.

Did you have an autopsy done on your dead cow that they said specifically the death was caused due to grain? Personally I've had healthy cows die before feeding brewers grain and after or at least what appeared to be healthy to me and I didn't have autopsy's done. So if the healthy cows died before feeding brewers grain I guess I could say they got ahold of too much or some bad grass ? That should be about right using your logic right? I can show you pics of my calves and how much grain all are eating. I am involved in a brewery and get 30 -40 tons a week I drop in my pastures in huge piles free choice. I am not getting a lil here and there. If what you said was true I would have no cattle at all and no need to be on this board right? If brewers grain was so bad no one would feed it or do you think farmers are sadistic and like losing money and want to see animals suffer and see how long it takes their cattle to die ? I guess the large brewers grain brokers that sell millions of tons to farmers are about to close their doors since there killing off everyone who's using brewers grains cattle. What you claim is completely unfounded and a very false thing to spread. I can back my proof up where's your autopsy report ? My proof is walking and calving. We had cows have big calves did over our years of farming ... Guess what no brewers grain involved... What was involved was a bull throwing big calves and bad genetics. If you are having that then you need to look at your genetics and don't blame the feed. I am glad you asked why am I feeding the brewers grain... It keeps our disposal costs down so no need to pay to get rid of it.. Its good feed keeps the cows looking good over the winter and has cut my hay consumption over half. It gives them something hot in their stomach over the winter and in the snow. BTW see that dump trailer in the pic its not too much work to open a valve dump grain in drive home hit a button and dump well at least not to me but maybe it is for you but either way..... .My suggestion to you is seriously think about what you are saying and go back and check your genetics because the grain isn't killing your cattle your genetics are. :tiphat:
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:04 pm

Heres my proof cow with that calf is a first calf heifer... Yea...That grain sure made that calf HUGE.... Wait what is that in front of my truck... Is it live calves ? Couldn't be OL' QUARTERMETER says that grain kills cattle...

0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:13 pm

Hmmmm.. Quartermeter... Want to rethink your statements?????

0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”