What weight and when to sell steers ??

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: What weight and when to sell steers ??

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:30 pm

I have good quality grass, good genetics, mostly moderate temperatures in summer, don't creep feed - and I don't get those weights either, not an average weight across the board.
Good job Silver - what frame size cows and weights do they run. I know Canadian cattle are usually pretty big.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:35 am

Many folks have better genetics than their forage can support.
Night time temperatures, clover %, residual %, and rest period length are key for high ADG.
Don't spend all your $$$ on bulls - - save some for clover seed and lime.
1 x
Stocker Steve

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:55 am

I hit those weights on individual animals, just don't average them.
0 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:47 pm

The timing of your good grass in the calfs life has a lot to do with it. This year my weaning weights are down significantly because our grass is bad. April was cool and the grass never got going good before it got hotter than normal in May and the rain quit completely. If our area's hay production is bad (which it is) our area's weaning weight are going to be lighter.

I have had only one year where my weaning weights were around 700lbs for late fall calves. My average year they are around 625. This year they are running about 585. This is at about 210 days. I don't think my Jan/Feb calves are even going to do that.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:54 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I have good quality grass, good genetics, mostly moderate temperatures in summer, don't creep feed - and I don't get those weights either, not an average weight across the board.
Good job Silver - what frame size cows and weights do they run. I know Canadian cattle are usually pretty big.

The post I wrote earlier in response to TG seems to be missing. I stated that I do not average that across the board. The pitfalls of 60 days of calving and 15-20% first calvers. However, last year I did have a nice pen of #780 steers fresh of the cows, but their age could possibly have been as much as 225 days.
In my post I also told him it was unusual to get the question he gave me. Usually at the sale barn people come up and their first question is "How big are your cows?" Followed by "when do you start calving?" The truth is our cows are average for the area. Year in and year out older cull cows go through the ring at around #1300. To some that's big, to others it's not. What people forget to take into account is that if an operation is reasonably careful and raises it's own replacements for 60 or 70 years and selects good bulls it darned well should be raising a calf crop that weighs up well.
1 x

Lrj505
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lrj505 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:59 pm

Alfalfa creep fed is to expensive. Good alfalfa not rained on. Watch them grow.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:22 pm

I just pulled our records from last year. Via cattelmax, heifers and steers. 111 calves had a WW of 704. AWW of 695, and a WDA of 3.28. I just did one group, not sure how to dismiss a few categories to get one large one.

That was straight off of pasture, no creep. I believe genetics has a lot to do with it.
2 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:10 pm

Farmwife - was that a 205 day adj ww? excellent!!
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:57 am

My avg was 636 last year (including the tail end @ 150 days) - had some around the 750 mark though, including heifers in that 210-220 range. One heifer was 766 at 196 days, couple steers over 800 by 220.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:11 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Farmwife - was that a 205 day adj ww? excellent!!

Yes. If I recall when I pulled that report, the average days we weaned was at 217 but it calculates the 205 for us.

We would have left them a bit longer on pasture last year but pastures weren’t looking too hot. We would have kept them out atleast another month otherwise, we pulled the very end of July. We ultrasounded mommas in pasture and worked/pulled the calves.

The calves are not implanted either. We are part of the NHTC program.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:09 am

What is the NHTC?
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:01 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:What is the NHTC?

NHTC stands for Non Hormone Treated Cattle. We could sell our calves to feedyards as NHTC and receive a small premium for them but we choose to feed them out ourselves and get the “per head” premium. It varies year to year. First year we were in it, we got $130 per head (if I recall correctly). This last year, we got $175 per head. It helps a lot in this uncertain market.

You do pay yearly to be a part of the program because of audits and tags but a larger operation, it becomes minimal per animal. We are actually moving to an umbrella. Which allows other area cattleman to operate under ours and we’ll feed them out and take responsibility of them being NHTC qualified. Owners retain all their cattle under us and will receive the premium, we’ll be merely finishing them out.

It’ll help area cattleman get that per head bonus as well, without getting socked for $1000 for 30-70 head of cattle.
2 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks. Mine are all non-hormone also. I do believe implants are a money maker, but my feedlot buyer does not want them. I certify to him that they are not implanted.
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”