Cutout weight percentages

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
jscunn
GURU
GURU

Re: Cutout weight percentages

Postby jscunn » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:07 pm

I have a couple of thoughts, but first just to be clear. We are talking about the difference between Hanging wt vs packed meat weight?

1. My butcher has also told me on aged meat the % of packaged meat is gonna be 55% of the hanging weight. That depends on some factors (ie bone in steaks vs boneless, days of aging 4, 7, 10, 14 days, etc.)
2. Some butchers give a HCW with the KPH still attached some cut it out, maybe your old butcher took it out and the new one left it in.
3. Scales could be off at one of the butchers.
4. Hanging weights could have been taken on different days (ie Day 0 on the new butcher vs last day with old butcher).

Lots of questions..

BTW we have the same problem here, one gives us Dressing percentages in the 58-65% range the other one is 48-52% (and a 50 mile shorter haul)..
0 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:16 am

jscunn wrote:I have a couple of thoughts, but first just to be clear. We are talking about the difference between Hanging wt vs packed meat weight? Yes, sir.

1. My butcher has also told me on aged meat the % of packaged meat is gonna be 55% of the hanging weight. That depends on some factors (ie bone in steaks vs boneless, days of aging 4, 7, 10, 14 days, etc.)Both aged about 14 days, cuts are basically the same.
2. Some butchers give a HCW with the KPH still attached some cut it out, maybe your old butcher took it out and the new one left it in. What is the KPH?
3. Scales could be off at one of the butchers. Agreed.
4. Hanging weights could have been taken on different days (ie Day 0 on the new butcher vs last day with old butcher). I've read some about that situation, but it shouldn't produce a 10-15% difference in my opinion.

Lots of questions..

BTW we have the same problem here, one gives us Dressing percentages in the 58-65% range the other one is 48-52% (and a 50 mile shorter haul).. Exact same situation here.

I appreciate your input, thank you for your time.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

texan@heart
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby texan@heart » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:40 am

KPH-kidney, pelic, and heart fat. That could sure contribute but I wouldn’t expect it to cause the difference you are seeing.

I knew a guy that took a 280 lb pig in to get slaughtered and got back 260 lbs of meat. He thought he was the man until he ate some of it. Had to feed it to the dogs. It doesn’t matter if they are dishonest or unorganized, at the end of the day it costs someone money.

I would sit down with the butcher and show him the same numbers. If he can tell you why it happened then your good to go. If not, take your business elsewhere. If you really like the people your numbers will be better next time if you want to use him again. People pay attention if they know before hand that you are paying attention.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:00 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think KPH is usually in the range of 2.5% of the hot carcass weight.

Butchers charge processing based on hanging weight and would have incentive to record a higher h.w. not lower.
1 x

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Postby jscunn » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:53 pm

2.5% of hcw is around 20# so it wouldnt fix it but it would help
1 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:07 am

Thanks to everyone who responded, I appreciate the information.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Return to “Feedyard Board”