Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:11 am
Location: TX

Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Postby Lucky » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:17 pm

Wondering if anyone plans on creep feeding thier calves this year? I’m kicking around starting 2 months before I wean them. So sometime between August 15th and September 1st I would need to put them on feed and wean them around Oct. 15th. I’m wondering how much they will eat per head. I’m guessing a 425 avg in mid Aug., so my guess would be 3-5#’s a day. What have y’all experienced doing this?
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7262
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:33 pm

I start mine as soon as they learn to enter the creep area. They start nosing around in the feeders at about a month old. By 6 weeks they are eating daily. I do all fall calving so it takes pressure off the dam and I see better performance.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3522
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Postby JMJ Farms » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:51 pm

I feed anytime the cost of gain is less than expected price per pound. As long as you’re not retaining heifers and don’t get the calves too fleshy I really don’t know what it hurts. Gets them used to eating before weaning as well.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 701
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Re: Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Postby snoopdog » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:27 pm

I, personally can't make it pencil out most of the time . If you wean in October, in your area you should be able to have wheat up tall enough to get better results I would think . But , as we all know mother nature has a little bit of say in that , and /or you can't dedicate a paddock to wheat . If you wean on the trailer , there may very well be an advantage , but in my experience winter wheat gains post weaning are very cost effective ,ymmv.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Hogtiming
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:32 pm

Re: Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Postby Hogtiming » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:34 pm

Here it pencils out feed is .08-.12 per pound of feed. We feed as soon as they will eat and they do not stop eating until they are picked up by the buyer. Really helps with the weaning process here. I also have basically all fescue
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 351
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Postby NEFarmwife » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:16 am

We aren't. We have in the past. I know my FIL is creeping his but we chose not to with our herd. 2 years ago, they didn't even touch the feeder. Last year, when we fed, they just treated themselves occasionally. This year, I saw an article about breakdown of gain on creep and it's cost (UNL Article) http://newsroom.unl.edu/announce/beef/7865/45841 and decided to opt out of it all together this year. We decided if our pastures were in need of rain, we'd throw some creep out there but we've been extremely fortunate with rainfall this summer!
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:11 am
Location: TX

Re: Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Postby Lucky » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:01 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:We aren't. We have in the past. I know my FIL is creeping his but we chose not to with our herd. 2 years ago, they didn't even touch the feeder. Last year, when we fed, they just treated themselves occasionally. This year, I saw an article about breakdown of gain on creep and it's cost (UNL Article) http://newsroom.unl.edu/announce/beef/7865/45841 and decided to opt out of it all together this year. We decided if our pastures were in need of rain, we'd throw some creep out there but we've been extremely fortunate with rainfall this summer!


Thanks for posting that article, it was a good read. I was expecting 4-5 pounds a day. Thing I missed in that article was how long were the calves on creep feed?
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 351
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Postby NEFarmwife » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:43 am

Lucky wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:We aren't. We have in the past. I know my FIL is creeping his but we chose not to with our herd. 2 years ago, they didn't even touch the feeder. Last year, when we fed, they just treated themselves occasionally. This year, I saw an article about breakdown of gain on creep and it's cost (UNL Article) http://newsroom.unl.edu/announce/beef/7865/45841 and decided to opt out of it all together this year. We decided if our pastures were in need of rain, we'd throw some creep out there but we've been extremely fortunate with rainfall this summer!


Thanks for posting that article, it was a good read. I was expecting 4-5 pounds a day. Thing I missed in that article was how long were the calves on creep feed?

Had to dig a little deeper into the hyperlinks.
3Creep: unrestricted access by the calf to creep feed from July 15 to Nov 1.
They were March born calves and weaned in early December.
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:11 am
Location: TX

Re: Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Postby Lucky » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:42 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
Lucky wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:We aren't. We have in the past. I know my FIL is creeping his but we chose not to with our herd. 2 years ago, they didn't even touch the feeder. Last year, when we fed, they just treated themselves occasionally. This year, I saw an article about breakdown of gain on creep and it's cost (UNL Article) http://newsroom.unl.edu/announce/beef/7865/45841 and decided to opt out of it all together this year. We decided if our pastures were in need of rain, we'd throw some creep out there but we've been extremely fortunate with rainfall this summer!


Thanks for posting that article, it was a good read. I was expecting 4-5 pounds a day. Thing I missed in that article was how long were the calves on creep feed?

Had to dig a little deeper into the hyperlinks.
3Creep: unrestricted access by the calf to creep feed from July 15 to Nov 1.
They were March born calves and weaned in early December.


Thanks for looking that up. I dug around but overlooked it I guess. Those dates line up with what I was planning on doing. I calve from Feb.7 - May 1 with 85% born by mid March. Was planning on creep feeding from July 15th to Oct.15 or so when I wean calves.
0 x

hornedfrogbbq
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:36 pm

Re: Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Postby hornedfrogbbq » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:53 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:I feed anytime the cost of gain is less than expected price per pound. As long as you’re not retaining heifers and don’t get the calves too fleshy I really don’t know what it hurts. Gets them used to eating before weaning as well.


Are you saying you wouldn't creep feed heifers you want to retain because their BCS would be a 6 plus? They'd be too fat? Or is there some other reason?
0 x

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3522
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:59 pm

hornedfrogbbq wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:I feed anytime the cost of gain is less than expected price per pound. As long as you’re not retaining heifers and don’t get the calves too fleshy I really don’t know what it hurts. Gets them used to eating before weaning as well.


Are you saying you wouldn't creep feed heifers you want to retain because their BCS would be a 6 plus? They'd be too fat? Or is there some other reason?


If you over feed heifers that are to be retained for breeding they can develop fat in the udders. Over feeding can cause conception, calving, and milking problems for the life of the cow. As a general rule I raise them on pasture and supplement about 4 pounds per head per day of a 12-14% feed so as to not over condition them.
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

hornedfrogbbq
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:36 pm

Re: Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Postby hornedfrogbbq » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:04 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
hornedfrogbbq wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:I feed anytime the cost of gain is less than expected price per pound. As long as you’re not retaining heifers and don’t get the calves too fleshy I really don’t know what it hurts. Gets them used to eating before weaning as well.


Are you saying you wouldn't creep feed heifers you want to retain because their BCS would be a 6 plus? They'd be too fat? Or is there some other reason?


If you over feed heifers that are to be retained for breeding they can develop fat in the udders. Over feeding can cause conception, calving, and milking problems for the life of the cow. As a general rule I raise them on pasture and supplement about 4 pounds per head per day of a 12-14% feed so as to not over condition them.


Thank you. We have not noticed that issue but we also don't creep feed a ton.
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1122
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Postby elkwc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:39 pm

The last few years we creep fed at least 80% of the calves. This year the only calves getting creep are the calves on the heifers. A couple of reasons for that. First hope it boosts them a little so we can wean a little earlier and give the heifers a little more time to recover before calving again. And we had one without a mother in there we wanted to supply some feed too. We will likely put out some creep about a month before we wean the bigger bunch. I feel if they are eating well they don't slow down much if any when weaned. Hopefully in two years we will have it where we calf only twice a year in 60 day time frames. Then we will likely creep all calves the last 4-6 weeks unless it is dry then may start earlier. I haven't seen any issue with creeping heifers we retain. Also we run most on wheat pasture after weaning if we have any. Again haven't seen any issue. But after they come off in the spring of their yearling year they won't see any more wheat pasture and only cake at least until they calf.
0 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am
Location: Brenham, Tx

Re: Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Postby 5S Cattle » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:57 pm

I was creeping some calves on first calf heifers but the hogs are getting more than the calves. Can’t afford to feed 20-30 of those bastards every night
1 x

User avatar
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy
Posts: 14666
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Anyone Creep Feeding Calves?

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:15 am

Creep feeding is something I am generally opposed to. But with pastures burned up and everything brown, hay cost being awful, it might pencil in a little better this year. Feed prices have not sky rocketed light hay cost has.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.


Return to “Feedyard Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests