Small Feedyard start up

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Small Feedyard start up

Postby 5S Cattle » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:33 pm

shaz wrote:
ChrisB wrote:Are you able to purchase most of your feed directly from a farmer? I don't know if things would pencil out buying all your feed from a coop or feedmill. Also, keep costs low and feed with 5 gallon buckets until you go over 50 head at least.

Keep them healthy and having cheap feed are things you have some control over that will determine if you are profitable.

That's the real trick to getting your cost of gain down to the point where you have a chance to be profitable. I would think you really need to buy commodities and mix your own. Don't think bag feed would ever work.

Wonder what you could mix a say,12% grower up for if you made your own?
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:21 pm

5S Cattle wrote:
shaz wrote:
ChrisB wrote:Are you able to purchase most of your feed directly from a farmer? I don't know if things would pencil out buying all your feed from a coop or feedmill. Also, keep costs low and feed with 5 gallon buckets until you go over 50 head at least.

Keep them healthy and having cheap feed are things you have some control over that will determine if you are profitable.

That's the real trick to getting your cost of gain down to the point where you have a chance to be profitable. I would think you really need to buy commodities and mix your own. Don't think bag feed would ever work.

Wonder what you could mix a say,12% grower up for if you made your own?

depends on what you have to work with. DDGs are a great place to start because it will provide so much of what you need if you can get it reasonable.

Another question that has to be asked is "Are you going to graze or dry lot"?
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:11 pm

i just read they will be separating germ soon to make corn oil and DDG will lose 1/2+ of its protein and fat.
0 x

Chocolate Cow2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:44 pm

The last loads of wet I bought, early 2018, were already like that. Protein was 7-9%. At $78 a ton, it wasn't worth it.
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:38 am

So we're back to corn and soybean meal?
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

Return to “Feedyard Board”