Page 1 of 2

stunted calves

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:15 am
by farmguy
I have an embarrassing problem and need advise. I had a couple cows that had twins and would not accept the first calf born, only he second. Being my wife and I were going to be busy I paid a grandson to keep the calves until they were off milk replacer and I had a place to put them. I would pay also for calf starter. I never checked on the calves. Once they were off the milk replacer he put them in with a bunch of sheep and all starter and grain went to the sheep, calves were not agressive enough to get any grain so they basically lived on grass. I got them home now and they are eating grain. Any advise on how to get them going? I know I should have checked. thanks farmguy

Re: stunted calves

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:21 am
by Caustic Burno
Never seen bottle calf grow off well.
I have found it cheaper to park a 22 bullet between their eyes versus the cost of “ growing “ them out.
I am losing money both ways just less if taken care of right off.

Re: stunted calves

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:57 am
by Dave
Before I would put a 22 bullet between their eyes I would haul them to the sale. Especially a sale on the weekend. It always amazes me what some people will pay for a little stunted calf.

Re: stunted calves

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:51 pm
by TCRanch
Dave wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:57 am
Before I would put a 22 bullet between their eyes I would haul them to the sale. Especially a sale on the weekend. It always amazes me what some people will pay for a little stunted calf.
There you go! They don't know how old it is.

Re: stunted calves

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:55 pm
by TCRanch
Caustic Burno wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:21 am
Never seen bottle calf grow off well.
I have found it cheaper to park a 22 bullet between their eyes versus the cost of “ growing “ them out.
I am losing money both ways just less if taken care of right off.
Stop it. I have 3 that I kept as replacements and you'd never know. Actually, 2 of them are currently raising heifers that are bigger than most of the steers - and I'm absolutely keeping them as replacements.

The money? Yeah, I spent a fortune on milk replacer but I'm pretty sure what I've made on their calves more than made up for it.

Re: stunted calves

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:43 pm
by Buck Randall
The mistake most people make with bottle feeding is skimping on the milk replacer. Yes, it's the most expensive feed they'll ever eat, but it's also the best rate of feed conversion they'll ever have. If you feed 2 quarts twice a day of cheap milk replacer and wean at 4 weeks you'll end up with a stunted calf that never pays for it. Pony up and feed them double that for 8 weeks and you'll end up with a calf that's grown well enough to pay some bills.

Re: stunted calves

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:22 pm
by JMJ Farms
I’ve got a bottle heifer that is 4 months old. I’ll take a pic of her tomorrow. She got three bottles a day and was started on calf starter at 6 weeks and has never lacked for anything and has grown very well. She is currently on 1 bottle a day until this bag of milk replacer runs out and then it’s feed only. I think I fed her 4 bags total, so $200. I’m sure she would bring double that. Though it is aggravating to have to feed one three times a day. She will be kept for a replacement if she continues to grow at the rate that she has so far.

Re: stunted calves

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:29 pm
by kenny thomas
Seen one sell today. Weighed 210 and brought $1.35 a lb. Looked terrible though.

Re: stunted calves

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:14 pm
by SBMF 2015
JMJ Farms wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:22 pm
I’ve got a bottle heifer that is 4 months old. I’ll take a pic of her tomorrow. She got three bottles a day and was started on calf starter at 6 weeks and has never lacked for anything and has grown very well. She is currently on 1 bottle a day until this bag of milk replacer runs out and then it’s feed only. I think I fed her 4 bags total, so $200. I’m sure she would bring double that. Though it is aggravating to have to feed one three times a day. She will be kept for a replacement if she continues to grow at the rate that she has so far.
What kind of milk replacer are you feeding? The good stuff I feed is $75 a bag.
Before my kids were old enough for 4H projects I would get calves started good for ten days / 2 wks then sell them. The bottle babies deserved someone with the extra time and I didn't want the headache.

Re: stunted calves

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:23 pm
by Caustic Burno
TCRanch wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:55 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:21 am
Never seen bottle calf grow off well.
I have found it cheaper to park a 22 bullet between their eyes versus the cost of “ growing “ them out.
I am losing money both ways just less if taken care of right off.
Stop it. I have 3 that I kept as replacements and you'd never know. Actually, 2 of them are currently raising heifers that are bigger than most of the steers - and I'm absolutely keeping them as replacements.

The money? Yeah, I spent a fortune on milk replacer but I'm pretty sure what I've made on their calves more than made up for it.
The last I messed with last year had 150 in milk replacer in him and brought 140 bucks through the barn. Time and money I would have been ahead with a 22LR.

Re: stunted calves

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:33 pm
by kenny thomas
The last I messed with last year had 150 in milk replacer in him and brought 140 bucks through the barn. Time and money I would have been ahead with a 22LR.
[/quote]

But think of all the exercise you got and fun you had.

Re: stunted calves

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:55 am
by JMJ Farms
SBMF 2015 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:14 pm
JMJ Farms wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:22 pm
I’ve got a bottle heifer that is 4 months old. I’ll take a pic of her tomorrow. She got three bottles a day and was started on calf starter at 6 weeks and has never lacked for anything and has grown very well. She is currently on 1 bottle a day until this bag of milk replacer runs out and then it’s feed only. I think I fed her 4 bags total, so $200. I’m sure she would bring double that. Though it is aggravating to have to feed one three times a day. She will be kept for a replacement if she continues to grow at the rate that she has so far.
What kind of milk replacer are you feeding? The good stuff I feed is $75 a bag.
Before my kids were old enough for 4H projects I would get calves started good for ten days / 2 wks then sell them. The bottle babies deserved someone with the extra time and I didn't want the headache.
FRM Milk Replacer. It comes out of the Flint River Mills plant in Bainbridge, GA. I’m not sure how widely it is distributed. I’m approx 2 hours from there so it may not be available in your area.

Re: stunted calves

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:22 pm
by 1982vett
Caustic Burno wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:23 pm
TCRanch wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:55 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:21 am
Never seen bottle calf grow off well.
I have found it cheaper to park a 22 bullet between their eyes versus the cost of “ growing “ them out.
I am losing money both ways just less if taken care of right off.
Stop it. I have 3 that I kept as replacements and you'd never know. Actually, 2 of them are currently raising heifers that are bigger than most of the steers - and I'm absolutely keeping them as replacements.

The money? Yeah, I spent a fortune on milk replacer but I'm pretty sure what I've made on their calves more than made up for it.
The last I messed with last year had 150 in milk replacer in him and brought 140 bucks through the barn. Time and money I would have been ahead with a 22LR.
:lol: Thought you’d know better...shoulda kept the $150 in your pocket and taken $140 at the sale barn before all the time and $$$ you invested. :)

I got my schooling on bottle calves way back in grade school. They not for me. If I come up with an orphan and it’s strong enough for a sale barn, it goes to the first sale available. Tuesday, Wednesday, or Saturday if my neighbor doesn’t have room on his nurse cow. Had some pretty weak ones I’ve given to a lady that takes on hard case stock. Haven’t had to walk away from one in quite a while.

Re: stunted calves

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:41 pm
by Caustic Burno
1982vett wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:22 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:23 pm
TCRanch wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:55 pm


Stop it. I have 3 that I kept as replacements and you'd never know. Actually, 2 of them are currently raising heifers that are bigger than most of the steers - and I'm absolutely keeping them as replacements.

The money? Yeah, I spent a fortune on milk replacer but I'm pretty sure what I've made on their calves more than made up for it.
The last I messed with last year had 150 in milk replacer in him and brought 140 bucks through the barn. Time and money I would have been ahead with a 22LR.
:lol: Thought you’d know better...shoulda kept the $150 in your pocket and taken $140 at the sale barn before all the time and $$$ you invested. :)

I got my schooling on bottle calves way back in grade school. They not for me. If I come up with an orphan and it’s strong enough for a sale barn, it goes to the first sale available. Tuesday, Wednesday, or Saturday if my neighbor doesn’t have room on his nurse cow. Had some pretty weak ones I’ve given to a lady that takes on hard case stock. Haven’t had to walk away from one in quite a while.
I used to give them to a lady at church.
She had a couple of Jerseys she milked.
When her Jerseys aged out she didn’t replace them.

Re: stunted calves

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:09 pm
by JMJ Farms
Here’s the pic I promised. Jolene. Born 4/9/20. Mama died when she was a week old. Been on the bottle ever since.
Down to one a day. Will wean completely this week.
Image

Image

Image