Feeding Beef Cattle only on lawn grass clippings

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
ga. prime
GURU
GURU

Re: Feeding Beef Cattle only on lawn grass clippings

Postby ga. prime » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:10 am

Who applies chemicals to their lawn, what do they apply, and why do they apply it? I'm just asking because I've never put any chemicals on mine and don't know anybody that has. What is a RUP?
0 x
I Once Was on the cover of Sports Illustrated

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:33 am

ga. prime wrote:Who applies chemicals to their lawn, what do they apply, and why do they apply it? I'm just asking because I've never put any chemicals on mine and don't know anybody that has. What is a RUP?

Concerning what is put on lawns, you have to remember he was talking about townies that frequently put more effort into their lawns then makes sense. Afterall, there are the neighborhood bragging rights about who has the "best" lawn to consider.

RUP is Restricted Use Pesticides
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

ga. prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga. prime » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:26 am

Thanks, dun.
I'm from the country and I like it that way.
0 x

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:08 am

ga. prime wrote:Thanks, dun.
I'm from the country and I like it that way.

big 10-4! nice dawg
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

ga. prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga. prime » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:47 am

Thanks, dbeef. The Pointer's name is Max and it fits him really well- he's a supreme hunting machine.
0 x

mnmtranching
GURU
GURU

Postby mnmtranching » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:10 pm

I have a cousin that makes a living in lawn care. [does real well] Got the nicest new green equipment and several busy employees. Has dozens of commercial accounts. REALLY!
Had to stop and ask. He applies fertilizer in the Spring and again in the Fall. NEVER has applied a pesticide. Thought it was kinda funny question. "what for"? was the answer. :lol2: :lol2:
Clippings are bagged and fed to his sheep. AGAIN REALLY! For years and the sheep do real well.
I still can't believe all the silly opinions on this thread. :roll:

So what kinda bugs can live in a lawn that is mowed a couple times a week?
0 x
Its the cost of production and the value of your marketable product, or if you having fun. That's it, everything else is BS.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:06 pm

The type of grass clippings I am talking about would come from professional landscape companies. They know exactly what they have put on the grass. I wouldn't take them from just any anyone. I just looked in the Olympia phone book. That is about 20 miles from my place. There are 39 listings under Lawn and Grounds Maintenance. That is a lot of grass clippings on any given spring day.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:52 pm

mnmtranching wrote:I have a cousin that makes a living in lawn care. [does real well] Got the nicest new green equipment and several busy employees. Has dozens of commercial accounts. REALLY!
Had to stop and ask. He applies fertilizer in the Spring and again in the Fall. NEVER has applied a pesticide. Thought it was kinda funny question. "what for"? was the answer. :lol2: :lol2:
Clippings are bagged and fed to his sheep. AGAIN REALLY! For years and the sheep do real well.
I still can't believe all the silly opinions on this thread. :roll:

So what kinda bugs can live in a lawn that is mowed a couple times a week?

You're looking at a totally different climate then california. Grubs, several kinds of other burrowing bugs, ants, grasshoppers, weeds, etc are pretty regularly sprayed for in some areas.
0 x

hayray
GURU
GURU

Postby hayray » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:11 pm

In my area there are several companies that spray lawns, and they are separate companies from the ones that do mowing. Many of the people in the subdivisions around here are spraying lawns 3 to 4 times a year with a 2-4 D spray which I think that has a 2 week withdrawl for livestock last time I read. But you are right, most people don't spray anything and the grass would be safe.
0 x

mnmtranching
GURU
GURU

Postby mnmtranching » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:04 pm

Different climate for sure. Still grasshoppers don't thrive in a moist green environment. [can't reproduce] or even live. :nod: neither can ants. Not at all. Grubs? a little N will discourage most all of that kind of stuff. :nod:

I could be wrong now... :???: ...but I don't think so.... :cowboy:
0 x
Its the cost of production and the value of your marketable product, or if you having fun. That's it, everything else is BS.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:50 pm

mnmtranching wrote:Different climate for sure. Still grasshoppers don't thrive in a moist green environment. [can't reproduce] or even live. :nod: neither can ants. Not at all. Grubs? a little N will discourage most all of that kind of stuff. :nod:

I could be wrong now... :???: ...but I don't think so.... :cowboy:

I wouldn;t wish it on anybody, but go spend some time in the areas around LA. It's a whole different world.
BTW, he hasn;t been back online since last saturday.
0 x

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:32 pm

around here a lot of people use msma herbicide on the bermuda lawns for crab grass, ryegrass or any wild grass thats not bermuda, so the arsenic would be a concern.
0 x
She said you're ramblin' man
You ain't ever gonna change
You got a gypsy soul to blame
And you were born for leavin'

novatech
GURU
GURU

Postby novatech » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:41 am

More than likely one would not see any effects from a buildup of herbicides in lawn clippings. This would simply be passed on to the consumer to deal with. :cry2:
The more immediate reaction is the toxic plants that are generally ground up along with the clippings. Oleander leaves are one and yew is another. Many other garden plants are thrown in the batch along with toxic weeds that are generally sorted out by cattle when grazing. Many trees have leaves that are toxic that would get mixed in. Commercial lawn people do not sort what goes into the clippings. At one time I used commercial lawn clipping in compost. You would find it amazing at the stuff you find in it. For all I know they could dump an entire bucket of outdated poison in the bag along with ground up aluminum, plastic, and who knows what else. It is hard enough to break even without taking risks like this.
0 x
All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
--Mahatma Gandhi

mnmtranching
GURU
GURU

Postby mnmtranching » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:20 pm

I'm just glad to be way upnort, where we don't got nothing, nowhere the will harm our cows. :cowboy:
0 x

agstr
Beginner
Beginner

Postby agstr » Sun May 18, 2014 1:11 pm

Hey there--many residential lawns are seeded with endophyte susceptible fescue. :???:
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”